Maris Stella High School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Maris Stella High School

Postby claire » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi everyone,
Does anyone care to share more about Maris Stella High School if your child is currently in this school ?
My son is waiting for his PSLE results and is keen to go into this school but there has been no open house so far (unless we had missed it ? ) .
Thank you. :lol:
Claire

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re : Maris Stella High

Postby lovethekids » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Claire,

The open hse is on 22nd Nov 09. I am also interested in this school but my elder son did not like cos it looks old.

Thanks
lovehtekids

lovethekids
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tianzhu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 am

Hi

I am looking at Part Two of Information on Secondary Schools and observe that one unique feature on Maris Stella High is every Sec one pupil will need to own a personal MacBook for all subjects.

I believe the school will arrange for special price for the MacBook, but still a Mac will not come cheap. I am just wondering if this requirement will deter some prospective students from choosing Maris Stella.

Best wishes

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Re : Maris Stella High

Postby claire » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 am

lovethekids wrote:Hi Claire,

The open hse is on 22nd Nov 09. I am also interested in this school but my elder son did not like cos it looks old.
Thanks
lovehtekids

Hi lovethekids
Did you eventually go to the open house at Maris Stella on saturday ? We went and my child is quite impressed by their innovative MACbook one-to-one learning during curriculum time.
We've advised him that there are alot of other factors to consider while choosing a school. We are not near Maris Stella and distance is therefore one of the considerations for us. However, he is still very keen, but I suppose we'll all have to wait for the PSLE results to be released before he decides making any final decision.
Hi Tianzhu,
We have seen how the MACbook is being used as part of the classroom curriculum , and it's indeed "appealing" to the students as children nowadays are really drawn towards IT/Infocomm technology. I agree with you that some families may have problem getting the child a MACbook. But I think in such cases, the school might help those who are in need.

Wishing all our children the best with the PSLE results.

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

I transfered my son out of Maris Stella In Sec-3

Postby Bentan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:54 pm

My son studied in Maris stella in 2003-2004. I transfered him out in 2005 to a neighbourhood school. He scored 13 points for L!R5 in O-level.

He would not have acheived this result if he continued with Maris Stella. According to him, 30% of his classmates repeated Sec-3 while another 30% were asked to leave for another school, converted to N-Level.

The situation in Maris Stella may be better now. Unfortunately they are still far from the top 10 position, which is the ranking when I did my secondary education there. As old boy of Maris Stella. I hope they can be more serious about bringing the school back to glory.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carebear » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:10 am

Thanks Bentan for your review.
I am seriously considering this school for my son who scored 245.
Would love to hear more about the school, now that they have a new principal and using the mac book.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: I transfered my son out of Maris Stella In Sec-3

Postby carebear » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Bentan wrote:My son studied in Maris stella in 2003-2004. I transfered him out in 2005 to a neighbourhood school. He scored 13 points for L!R5 in O-level.

He would not have acheived this result if he continued with Maris Stella. According to him, 30% of his classmates repeated Sec-3 while another 30% were asked to leave for another school, converted to N-Level.

The situation in Maris Stella may be better now. Unfortunately they are still far from the top 10 position, which is the ranking when I did my secondary education there. As old boy of Maris Stella. I hope they can be more serious about bringing the school back to glory.

Bentan wrote:My son was from Maris Stella and my daughter from TKSS.

Maris Stella looks after top students very well. If your son is at 240, he will get very good care and attention.

Leave me a message if you need to talk.

Hi Bentan, thanks for your reply.
I get the picture now!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HoSayLiao » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi, bentan, I am also an old boy of Maris Stella. Has the swimming pool being built?

HoSayLiao
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:28 pm

HoSayLiao wrote:Hi, bentan, I am also an old boy of Maris Stella. Has the swimming pool being built?

After many many many donkey years of fund raising and when they finally got the money, they found that the land is unsuitable for constructing a swimming pool. They've built new wings to the school instead.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cccocobean » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 am

Hi Bentan,

Is the school strong in both languages? I was told is a SAP school and your child must be strong in chinese language. Any view on this?

Thanks in advance!

cccocobean
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups