Ngee Ann Secondary School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Ngee Ann Secondary School

Postby Khoomummy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Can anyone pls give me some advise on Ngee Ann Sec or Dunman Sec as my girl 1st choice. She scored 250 and i'm not sure which school shd i put as her 1st choice.

Thot of Anglican High School but am afraid that she might not be able to cope for HMT.

Thanks

Khoomummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm a student who also took the exam this year. I scored 257(@#$%!!!!) :stupid: . For a pupil who scored 250, she shouldn't be thinking about dunman sec! She should be thinking of schools like cresent girls or CHIJ st nich (close case). Here, If you still insist that the pressure level is too high in those schools, I suggest Dunman sec.

Recommended listing:
1. Cresent (or nan hua)
2. Nan hua high (or cresent)
3. (then you go on to dunman sec and others)

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby VCJY » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Anderson Secondary is a good school too you can consider...

VCJY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Ngee Ann Sec or Dunman Sec

Postby Augmum » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Khoomummy wrote:Can anyone pls give me some advise on Ngee Ann Sec or Dunman Sec as my girl 1st choice. She scored 250 and i'm not sure which school shd i put as her 1st choice.
Thot of Anglican High School but am afraid that she might not be able to cope for HMT.
Thanks

Khoomummy

i also wonder why u din include the all girls schools (unless u wanna a co-ed sch)
crescent girls, cedar girls, anglican high ......all these are good schools
no prob of getting in with yr gal's t-score.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby James Ang » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 pm

insider wrote:I think this statement is too 'blanket'.

Personally, i will choose school with location that is convenient (near) for my child and I will not go over mountains or hills to a school just coz it's 'good'...

I tend to believe that if a child can perform, he/she can perform anywhere. His/her personal qualities matter and choice of school is secondary...

A good secondary school matters. It is worth to travel a bit more to go to a good school, than to pick a school located downstairs.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:09 pm

insider, i go along the same line with u abt the travelling time to sch.

it really pains my heart when i read that a 10 yrs old child has to travel 1 hr or so with a heavy schoolbag in a public transport when he/she has to change sch after gep selection.

longer travelling time means shorter sleep hrs........
parents shd aware that sleep hrs are equally important as "sleep can make u smarter" as the brain needs to process the information learn in the day, all scientifically documented.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Ngee Ann Secondary School

Postby heutistmeintag » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:31 am

Khoomummy wrote:Can anyone pls give me some advise on Ngee Ann Sec or Dunman Sec as my girl 1st choice. She scored 250 and i'm not sure which school shd i put as her 1st choice.

Thanks

Khoomummy, you may also want to consider TKGS. Like AHS, it's in the east and a band 1 school despite the lower COP of 235 and mean T-score of 240.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 pm

insider wrote:PS2: Personally I feel it cruel to send kids to faraway schools. If parents really want the kids to go to a faraway school, then a fairer thing to do is to shift house closer to that school...

Nothing really, but I choose all the schools / 3rd languages / if I want to take HMT by myself, and I feel that distance's not an important factor. Although RI is 1 hour ride from my house, I've got this dead mindset that I want to go to RI, no matter how far it is. I only dropped this idea recently, cause i got 257 for PSLE and there's now way I can get there. Well, its either a good school that offers quality education, or a not so good neighborhood school that offers average education. Example -- My friend's brother wanted to escape from stress, and opted out from the IP programme, even though he got 255 for PSLE. He decided to go to a neighborhood school. Result: Because of the lackadaisical attitude of the teachers and the bad influence from friends, his score plunged down the bowel, and in the end, he was only able to qualify for a poly in O levels. He could have gone to a quality integrated JC.
I'm just a kid, and these are my casual comments. :)

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:07 pm

No offence.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby carebear » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10 am

xxjustakidxx wrote:Nothing really, but I choose all the schools / 3rd languages / if I want to take HMT by myself, and I feel that distance's not an important factor. Although RI is 1 hour ride from my house, I've got this dead mindset that I want to go to RI, no matter how far it is. I only dropped this idea recently, cause i got 257 for PSLE and there's now way I can get there. Well, its either a good school that offers quality education, or a not so good neighborhood school that offers average education. Example -- My friend's brother wanted to escape from stress, and opted out from the IP programme, even though he got 255 for PSLE. He decided to go to a neighborhood school. Result: Because of the lackadaisical attitude of the teachers and the bad influence from friends, his score plunged down the bowel, and in the end, he was only able to qualify for a poly in O levels. He could have gone to a quality integrated JC.
I'm just a kid, and these are my casual comments. :)

Are you sure you are just a kid?
You sound so matured for your age!
I agree with you that the company that one mixes with, especially in secondary school is very important, and so are the teachers.
It is sad that your brother's friend did not have the opportunity to maximize his potentials.
However not all neighbourhood schools are like what he has experienced. Some neighbourhood schools are very motivated in pushing their students to greater heights!
Also getting into a poly does not mean he will be at a disadvantage in future compared to one who goes to a good JC.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups