Nan Hua High School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
fin899
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Get a life.

Post by fin899 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

yup, the teachers suck a lot
for example, all they do is give exam papers (from schools like XMSS only) and go through TYS. NO NOTES to save paper. Just reading from tb. we learn the basics but got no idea how to do data based qn, worth 20 marks each at the end of paper 2.
The arts (el, humanities) teachers waste time in class by chit chatting. HW is given but not marked
A lot of time is wasted for lame "enrichment" programmes.
fin89 how long was it since you graduated?
Just bc NH was good last time doesnt mean it is good now
NH's results were better than ever but that doesn't mean that the environment is good. Sure some schools like NYGH are elitist and rich, but at least they have teachers who can teach.
NH have some good teachers--those who retired already AHAHAHA
I am ashamed to be from NH not bc its not a brand school but bc it's morality and such is not good. All the teachers do is talk but they don't do. Like i said, the teachers will only stay back with you if you pester them. They won't automatically ask you to come.
Of course there are good teachers anywhere but the point is for a school like NH there is not enough.
Come on, how can you trust the words of an alumna over that of a recent graduate? When the worst is over all you can rmb is the good stuff and that is the truth, ladies and gentlemen. Maybe 20 years down the road I'll think like you, fin89.
Hi serafiel,

I'm a friend of fin89. I'm an ex-student from Nanhua(2003 to 2006) and Hwa Chong (07-08 ).

I'm typing this in an attempt to reverse the effects of your comments here in the forum. This will be a long post, so please bear with me. My Nanhua days were the best days of my life and given a second chance, I will still choose Nanhua and go through the discipline talks and gruelling tests all over again. It's not the students or teachers per se, but rather the entire school environment that allows for the gaining of knowledge, growing of character and forging of friendships. My sister is still in the school now (sec 3 this year). I know Nanhua isn't perfect (which school is?), but from what I can see (since you love to harp on how 'current' the info is), Nanhua is still a great place to spend the 4 years of secondary school education. I remember that the months that followed my graduation from Nanhua, I missed Nanhua like mad. So please do not say that 'When the worst is over all you can rmb is the good stuff'.

Are you complaining about the quality of the education? Or the quality of the values system?

Let's discuss the teachers first. Are you taking GP(general paper) now? I wish you all the best because after taking GP for almost 2 years, you are still making sweeping statements like 'NH have some good teachers--those who retired already'. There are still many dedicated teachers in Nanhua. I agree that not all teachers in NH can teach (some of them are in the profession just for the MOE scholarship but it's the same in every school, HCI included). Maybe I'm lucky I was mostly taught by good teachers back then. Surely not all the teachers in NH now can't teach. My sister's teachers all gladly stay back to coach her when she asked. Do you expect them to automatically ask you to go see them? Your grades have to be bottom-low to be entitled to that special treatment I guess. If you are afraid of your grades dropping, just go approach your teachers and they will go through the concepts again. It's the same in HC right? They call it 'consultation' and as far as I'm concerned, you have to ask the teachers for it, unless your grades really cannot make it. My sister's bio teacher (she's been teaching in NH since i was there) stays till 7pm every school day. I had a really bad chinese teacher back then. She was so bad my whole class hated her (but we love nanhua nonetheless). The whole class got A1 for O level express chinese except 2 got A2. Did we attribute our results to the teacher? NO (by the way, she has retired). We worked hard largely by ourselves and the Chinese department did a good job preparing us too. My class got almost full distinction for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Combined Humanities(Geog) because the teachers were passionate about teaching. Many of them are still in NH now! The teachers in NH are generally hardworking and dedicated even until now. You speak as though all teachers in NH suck, but I feel that the problem lies with you. You magnify and focus on a problem so much that you cannot appreciate the better aspects. If you hated NH so much why did you not go over to NUS High or NJC IP when you had the chance in sec 2?!

I have to agree with you that some enrichment programs are of not much use, but I won't say I hate them. Do you know that NH has a SKY program now? It's kind of elitist because only students who are strong academically are chosen for it. The program serves to develop its students into scholars by providing opportunities for students to excel beyond the textbooks. It only started recently I'm quite sad NH didn't have it earlier.

What do you mean by 'it's morality and such is not good'? I still remember 忠孝仁爱 礼仪廉耻 (i still rmb the school song btw). I can see that you lack some of the values, maybe the school really has some problems instilling them now. You said guai kia become pai kia. OMG like the school ask them to become pai kia? Those who become the so-called pai kia did so because they think pai kias are more cool. They 自己不会想, how can you blame the school? You said the students cracks racist jokes but hello, HCI does that too! SAP schools do that, it's a reality. Non-SAP schools do that also. About the point which you mentioned that nobody wanted to do project with you, I believe it was due to your attitude more than your size? Another evidence to support this is that you 'hate' some people in HCI too. It is clear that you 'hate' people pretty easily. The plaits weren't cool but it gave us identity. I'm sad to see many students tuck out their shirts and tie pony-tails right after they step out of school. If there is a reason why NH is going downhill disciplinary-wise, it would be because of the students who doesn't value the moral values, not because the school does not do a good job instilling them. Truth be told, parents play a large role instilling the moral values, a much bigger role than the school.

I want to laugh when you complained about the speech day. The prize-giving ceremony is a way to give recognition for students who have worked hard and made the school proud. To be honest I complained about the prize too. But after getting a plaque and certificate of commendation for getting 7 distinctions in A levels, I would very much accept a $20 POPULAR voucher.

Just because you had a miserable time in NH doesn't make NH suck. Perhaps we should have a poll for every graduating student to see their level of satisfaction?? In that way parents will have concrete statistical data to see for themselves, instead of coming to online forums and risk exposing themselves to severely slanted opinions of ex-students who doesn't know 天高地厚.

If parents want their children to go to a school with about 90% of good teachers, please send them to top-tier independent schools (if your child's grades make the cut) because only independent schools have full power over which teacher to hire/fire. Some independent schools don't perform as well as NH anyway. Govt-funded schools have to accept teachers assigned by MOE, and that means getting inexperienced teachers or teachers who teach for the sake of MOE bond (but this doesn't mean you wont see them in indept schools). As a side note, when I have a child of my own in the future, I will send him or her to HCI or NYGH, but if he/she can't make the cut, NHHS will be next. And for parents who care about the value system in schools, NHHS is a good choice (I think all chinese schools are good for that matter) but please do not rely entirely on the schools.

The quality of the education a school provides depends very much on its stakeholders - students, parents and school.

fin89
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fin89 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Serafiel wrote:fin89 how long was it since you graduated?
Just bc NH was good last time doesnt mean it is good now
NH's results were better than ever but that doesn't mean that the environment is good. Sure some schools like NYGH are elitist and rich, but at least they have teachers who can teach.
NH have some good teachers--those who retired already AHAHAHA
I am ashamed to be from NH not bc its not a brand school but bc it's morality and such is not good. All the teachers do is talk but they don't do. Like i said, the teachers will only stay back with you if you pester them. They won't automatically ask you to come.
Of course there are good teachers anywhere but the point is for a school like NH there is not enough.
Come on, how can you trust the words of an alumna over that of a recent graduate? When the worst is over all you can rmb is the good stuff and that is the truth, ladies and gentlemen. Maybe 20 years down the road I'll think like you, fin89.

First of all, I'm not really that much older than you. As you can see from my friend's post we're from the 2003-2006 batch. Secondly I don't like your tone of voice and the way you make this sound like a competition. This IS NOT a competition to see who can garner more support for whose opinion. It's just that you have provided such a skewed view/opinion of NH that I feel it would be unfair to parents reading this forum to solely judge NH based on your unpleasant experience.

“All the teachers do is talk but they don't do. Like I said, the teachers will only stay back with you if you pester them. They won't automatically ask you to come. ”

My dear, this really just proves your lack of maturity. If you still expect teachers to spoon feed and chase after you at Sec 4 then you are sorely lacking in self-discipline and initiative. It does not make much sense for a teacher to chase after a student to ask if they need help right? Can you imagine all teachers doing that? It is simply not practical. Clearly, you’ve never had experience as a teacher. I am a part time tutor and I take utmost pride when I can help students overcome their difficulties in the respective subjects I tutor them in. But even I find it quite impossible to help students who refuse to help themselves. As the saying goes -you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Learning is a partnership, the teacher teaches and the student learns. You can’t expect the teacher to force the student to learn if he/she simply has no interest. Even parents would find it hard to enforce that on their own children, let alone a teacher!

My teachers had extra supplementary lessons to help us and we were given the choice to attend because they understood that some of us may not want the extra lessons or wanted to spend the time on other subjects. My own brother is in HCI (GEP) too and even he has to study on his own time.

As for school culture, I agree with my friend that racism exists everywhere and not just in NH. Maybe more so in SAP schools because we don’t have to deal with any other races but plenty of us have gone on to JC and University to make new friends from other races. However, our strong upbringing in a school with traditional Chinese values and culture has made me respect my elders more and 飲水思源.

Ultimately, I find that the problem really lies with you and not the school. You claim that you nobody wanted to befriend you because you were overweight but I myself was overweight in secondary school too (120% - the same category as you), that never stopped me from making friends. In fact I’m still very much the same size and I’ve yet to receive differential treatment. Perhaps it was because you were so bitter about the school that it reflected outwardly in your attitude towards others. I suggest you reflect on that.

fin89
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fin89 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm

WeiHan wrote:After hearing Seraphel's comment, I don't rule out some element of truth in her words.

Everything is relative. If you want to know what is good, just make a fair sensible comparison. I remember a thread comparing Crescent Girl's school with NHHS. For me, for example, CGS will leave a better impression than NHHS. You can see CGS scoring good results in many competitions (even in such like Junior Chemistry Olympiah etc...) but you will seldom see NHHS getting any prize. And the thing is that NHHS has a better intake quality. I am just talking about one or two competitions but over many competitions....I just feel that NHHS didn't inculcate in their students a strong attitude of wanting to achieve the best results from their potential.
Hi, I just want to clear up the air here. I'm not sure if NH has really push us to be competitive even though we all had our respective CCA competitions. Plus I've always felt that competitiveness is part of one's character not necessarily something that can be nurtured.

That being said, I would say majority of my friends and myself are highly competitive. I can't speak for the entire cohort but I do know for a fact that many of us have gone on to illustrious fields of study like medicine, dentistry, law, business etc. So we haven't done too bad. Maybe CGS really is better and if that's such a point of contention for you perhaps your daughter would do better there then.

Cheers!

Serafiel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Serafiel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:15 pm

OK if I feel that my character is such a problem, why is it that in HCI I can make lots of friends? I am still as (sarcastic and complaining) as ever. Obviously I have good points too like I'm generous?? but I do not think everything is in my perception only.
Firstly, I think the teachers in HCI are much better. The teachers (those who teach me at least) will always encourage us and ask us if we need help. In NHHS, I might be suay and got those newly transferred ones (circa 2008) who don't really care yet. I still stay in contact with some teachers (like CCA teachers) so I assume there are good teachers in NH but I wasn't taught by them.
For the record, all my classmates hated the English and Chinese teachers in NH. They were either too strict or too slack.
As for behaviour, I discovered HCI has got its fair share of bimbos, but all in all they will still behave civilly if we must interact. The guys are also more "gentlemanly". I accidentally met some guys from NHHS recently and they then posted on fb that I "punched them and they almost fell" when I poked them with a finger. How childish of them.
Sec 1-2 in NHHS was fun, but a lot of good teachers who don't teach me (like Mrs Benedict Lim?) left, and suddenly there's an influx of new teachers who don't really care yeah.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by ycpang » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Dear Serafiel,

Since you are happy now in HCI, I suggest that you just move on and forget the past. There is no need to condemn your old school over and over again in this forum. I am sure NH won't mind to "forget" u too.

Wish u well!

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by julongmum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm

DD class English teacher is promoted to elsewhere and replaced with a new English teacher. She is good and practically knows all students in the class and their names. DD likes her as she is caring.

It is norm that teachers in primary school know all their students, however, it is not so in secondary school where many teachers may somehow recognise the face but don't know the names of majority of their students. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kiasulin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Nan Hua High School

Post by Kiasulin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

Any parents with child study in Nan Hua High sch currently? Any sharing, especially with the new principal (transfer from Clementi Town Secondary). Thanks.

Kiasulin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Kiasulin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:09 am

Cheers!

Neoch
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Transportation from woodlands to nam Hua high school

Post by Neoch » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:35 am

Looking for transportation for my daughter from woodlands to Nan Hua high school.

Neoch2@gmail.com

pris-tan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Nan Hua

Post by pris-tan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Is it a must to tie pleats in NH ?