Cedar Girls Secondary School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Cedar Girls Secondary School

Postby Hu Yan Ling » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 am

Original Title: Cedar Girls VS Crescent Girls

My girl got a 250 for her PSLE this year. :cry: We're deciding between the two. Cedar's cut-off was 244 while Crescent's was 242. She likes the Cedar uniform but also likes the fact that Crescent got a 100% for pupils who went to JC. As for the laptop case which she cares a lot, (can't stand her) both schools are using it (Cedar's going to start in 2010).
Crescent's a bit far from my house(Katong), but we certainly won't reject a good school.
Comments?

:?

Hu Yan Ling
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Cedar Girls VS Crescent Girls

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 am

Hu Yan Ling wrote:but also likes the fact that Crescent got a 100% for pupils who went to JC.

Cedar is a good band 1 school. it is weird why your girl will consider Cresent having 100% for pupils going to JC as a consideration point over Cedar.
go visit the campus, talk to the students and let your kid have a 'feel' which community she belongs to if distance is not your primary concern.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Crescent

Postby kiasustudent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:06 am

1. Uniforms should not be a consideration!
2. The students in Cedar might have chosen to go to Poly, so the 100% JC rate should not be a consideration to go to Crescent. Some 5-pointers choose to go to Poly.
3. For the Tablet PC, I would have to strongly suggest Crescent. Crescent pioneered the Tablet PC programme since 2004. That is 5 years' experience! I've had a friend who came from Nan Hua which just started out on their Tablet PC programme. Apparently, they barely use the Tablet PC for lessons. It was a complete waste of money. As for Crescent, I've had friends who use the Tablet PC everyday in school. I doubt Cedar will be any better than Nan Hua was. You also don't want to waste your money on a lousy Tablet PC programme. However, do note that the Tablet PC programme may not affect your child's result in the end. It only provides more engaging and innovative lessons.
4. The distance will be an issue. But it depends if your daughter thinks it's worth the trouble to go to Crescent? If it is, then go for it.
5. Additional point: I've been to both open houses. Personally, I feel that Crescent has a more vibrant community than Cedar. To some, this may not be a consideration, but I believe Secondary School is where your child develops, and the people surrounding your child then should be a positive influence. Of course, secondary school is the best time of her life!

kiasustudent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby finder » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am

Sorry to side track, how would Crescent fair with TKGS. Personally not been to any but is impress by TKGS for achieving band 1 and substaining it over years despite a lower T-score intake.

BTW, what is the ave O-level score for Crescent? Tks.

finder
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CJS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am

My girl is in S1 Cedar Girls this year. I think the school is also pretty good in Science as my daughter's class which is good in Science is put through some science accelerated learning program as well as offered chances to attend science seminars and talks held outside the school.

The school is also very IT driven in many ways as I see my daughter constantly having to submit her worksheets, projects and communicate with her teachers and friends via online though she is not on the tablet PC programme this year.

I have gathered that their higher Chinese subject is more challenging than many other secondary school's HCL according to feedback from 3 different tuition teachers.

The school has just finished prime upgrading and will be moving in next year. I went to the open house last Saturday and am very impressed with the school facilities and layout. The school premises is big and spacious compared to other band 1 secondary schools that I have visited before.

I am very happy that my girl is in this school and she is also very happy studying there. Hope the above information helps you to have some insight into school life in Cedar.

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby limpoop » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 pm

How many minutes walk is this school from the nearest Bus stop or MRT station? Is there a short cut from the bus-stop?

limpoop
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CJS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:03 am

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Potong Pasir Station.

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 am

CJS wrote:It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Potong Pasir Station.

if you walk with friends, the journey will appear very much shorter. :)
i used to deliberately take a different bus to Potong Pasir to meet my friends to walk to school even when there is a nearer stop to the school. :)
besides, early morning, it is best to walk in groups. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Hu Yan Ling » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks all for your help!
:thankyou:
We checked out Crescent yesterday just to take a look at the school since it wasn't the open house.
Great.
My girl was completely "defeated".
She said we've to travel one hour plus and we've asked a student there about the JC rate. She replied it wasn't 100% but 65.
She was willing to go to Cedar.
I heaved a sigh of relief.
And she completely removed Crescent from the 6 choices.
:wink:
In the end her choices were(accordingly): Cedar, Anglican, St. Nicholas, TKGS, TK Sec, Chung Cheng Main.
I'm quite happy with her choices.
:D
Actually there was another reason why she chose Cedar: The immersion programme includes her cousin's daughter's(my girl's dad is the youngest in his family so...) school.

Thanks all the parents once again!
:salute:

Hu Yan Ling
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Cedar Sec Cut off

Postby Bounty » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm

For a cut off score of 241, what would the chances be for getting into Cedar girls SEc school? Based on past History, would we get through if we appeal provided we choose Cedar girls as 1st choice?
The cut off this year is 244.

Helpless.

Bounty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups