Cedar Girls Secondary School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Olive3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Cedar Girls Secondary School

Post by Olive3 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 pm

amk wrote:I heard from my girl that some students are selected for Science Research/ Talent Development program at S2.
Anyone know what are these programs for and are there any other programs?
Science Research and Talent Development are 2 separate programs.

My understanding is students has to qualify for Science Research program on a yearly basis. Students who meet the required Sc subject grade will be invited to participate in various research topics, usually under the guidance of a mentor.

Students are nominated for the Talent Development Program (TD) at the end of Y1/S1. I may be wrong, but I don't think nomination is based solely on grades. In Y2/S2, TD students will attend various kinds of workshops - Sc, Humanities, even leadership development. In Y3/S3, students will hv to decide on joining either the Science stream or Humanities Stream, and go on to take up related projects, presentations/competitions, attend workshops, visits etc.

TD students are urged to stay commited and maintain active participation. Parents are urged to fully support their girls as there are times when the projects timeline clashes with their academics. Despite the additional time & effort, my dd enjoyed and benefitted from the TD program.

amk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by amk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 am

hpsbpt wrote:
amk wrote:I heard from my girl that some students are selected for Science Research/ Talent Development program at S2.
Hi
Yes Cedar has talent development program- science stream or humanities stream. Cedar will select some students based on their academic performance. Their is additional school hours spent weekly on this and students do specific projects- which they may hv to show case outside schools as well depending on the project type. Definitely, need extra time and effort, but they will get good exposure. Parents will be briefed on the program by school if the child is selected
Thanks for the info.

amk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by amk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:14 am

Olive3 wrote:
Science Research and Talent Development are 2 separate programs.

My understanding is students has to qualify for Science Research program on a yearly basis. Students who meet the required Sc subject grade will be invited to participate in various research topics, usually under the guidance of a mentor.

Students are nominated for the Talent Development Program (TD) at the end of Y1/S1. I may be wrong, but I don't think nomination is based solely on grades. In Y2/S2, TD students will attend various kinds of workshops - Sc, Humanities, even leadership development. In Y3/S3, students will hv to decide on joining either the Science stream or Humanities Stream, and go on to take up related projects, presentations/competitions, attend workshops, visits etc.

TD students are urged to stay commited and maintain active participation. Parents are urged to fully support their girls as there are times when the projects timeline clashes with their academics. Despite the additional time & effort, my dd enjoyed and benefitted from the TD program.
Yes. You are right. These programs are separate.
My girl was selected for Science research program and teacher brief them about the program last week.
Teacher told them it shouldn't crash with TD.
She can't join as it's on Thursday and she has Japanese lesson.
Btw, did you mean students were nominated for TD at end of S1, not beginning for S2?
I think you are also right that nomination is NOT based solely on grades.
My girl said she is not aware of anyone from her class was selected.
We were also not told about any of these programs. :shrug:

Olive3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Olive3 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm

amk wrote:
Olive3 wrote:
amk wrote: Yes. You are right. These programs are separate.
My girl was selected for Science research program and teacher brief them about the program last week.
Teacher told them it shouldn't crash with TD.
She can't join as it's on Thursday and she has Japanese lesson.
Btw, did you mean students were nominated for TD at end of S1, not beginning for S2?
I think you are also right that nomination is NOT based solely on grades.
My girl said she is not aware of anyone from her class was selected.
We were also not told about any of these programs. :shrug:
Sorry, I cannot rmb if we attended the TD parents' briefing at the end of S1 or beginning of S2. I'm pretty sure selection was based on first year results & other criteria.

I don't rmb attending parents' briefing for Science Research.

Grandyma
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Grandyma » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:07 pm

amk wrote:I think you should check A level performance at VJC thread.
Workload is manageable at IP1. It's quite stressful though as there are many projects.
I guess that's normal for all IP courses..
VJC Art Stream is not strong and didnt do well for A level exam especially H2 main Art subjects Geo, Eng Literature and History.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:182

Post by phtthp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Is VJC H2 Econs A-level performance weak or strong, since Econs is their popular H2 subject ?

Grandyma
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Grandyma » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm

phtthp wrote:Is VJC H2 Econs A-level performance weak or strong, since Econs is their popular H2 subject ?
H2 Econs ok- safe to take.
Arts Stream, if 1 takes either H2 Eng Lit with Geo or History, these H2 weaker Arts subjects will affect the student's overall result/rank point.
Advisable not to choose Art Stream in VJC.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:182

Post by phtthp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Where is the bottle-neck, that VJC students didn't do (perform) well in H2 A-level (Geography, History, English Literature ) ?

Is it because the subject content of these 3 subjects are tough (difficult), JC students find it hard to understand and to apply, or is it because due to other factors like VJC Teachers-in-charge of these 3 subjects, don't know how to teach (nor guide) their (JC1 and JC2) pupils ?

KiasuDaddy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by KiasuDaddy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:34 pm

:rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah: Congratulation :rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah: to INVICTUS - Class of 2018 for achieving outstanding GCE 'O' Level Results this year.

From a very happy, happy kiasudaddy....

MomOfOne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by MomOfOne » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 pm

just curious, how is the o level results this year?