Singapore Chinese Girls School (Secondary)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Singapore Chinese Girls School (Secondary)

Postby VitoRelax » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Will students entering sec schools at SCGS from non-affiliated be at a disadvantage as compared to their peers who are affiliated.

Eg, teachers already know their affiliated students and they will get higher chance to be noticed (since their peer also know them better) ? So their chances to be prefect, monitor ... etc are higher ?

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happynlucky » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Hmm, it's a good question,but I don't think so. :)

Hope that helps :D

happynlucky
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Singapore Chinese Girls School (Secondary)

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:46 pm

VitoRelax wrote:Will students entering sec schools at SCGS from non-affiliated be at a disadvantage as compared to their peers who are affiliated.

Eg, teachers already know their affiliated students and they will get higher chance to be noticed (since their peer also know them better) ? So their chances to be prefect, monitor ... etc are higher ?

Somewhere in the thread, it was mentioned that... 'it takes 1 year for child from non affliated school to adjust in MGS school'.

If this is the case for reputed school like MGS...it will be even worse in other like SCGS..

Better put in school without affliation... there are only 4 'Girls ' only school.

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Pri sch and sec sch teachers are different, I didn't sense any difference in treatment betw affiliated/newly joined girls (btw, I was from non-affiliated pri sch) during my years there. Dunno if things changed, but half my class was non-affiliated girls.

Prefect/monitor based on the girl's conduct/performance in school. I don't see any biasedness just cos from that pri sch (unless of course one is so talented that go anyway pp will see her shine).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby VitoRelax » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 am

DadOfGirl wrote:

If this is the case for reputed school like MGS...it will be even worse in other like SCGS..

Sorry, dont quite get you.

Can elaborate what you are trying to say ?

Thanks

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:
VitoRelax wrote:Will students entering sec schools at SCGS from non-affiliated be at a disadvantage as compared to their peers who are affiliated.

Somewhere in the thread, it was mentioned that... 'it takes 1 year for child from non affliated school to adjust in MGS school'.

Better put in school without affliation... there are only 4 'Girls ' only school.

My daughter has spent a year in SCGS from another primary school. In her class, there are very few affiliated girls. You see, they actually stream the girls according to their PSLE scores. Since the non-affiliated girls do generally get higher scores, they will be in a class with non-SCGPS girls. So they don't feel left out. At least my social animal daughter doesn't. She takes part in everything, from the SCGS got talent etc.

After the first year, everyone is just shaken together. I don't think there's any feel of distinction. Again, hard to say. My daughter is really a crowd pleaser.

Why would SCGS be worse than MGS? Strange...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VitoRelax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:32 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Why would SCGS be worse than MGS? Strange...

I am wondering too :?

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DadOfGirl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:03 am

VitoRelax wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Why would SCGS be worse than MGS? Strange...

I am wondering too :?

Elsewhere in thread, it is mentioned by someone that at MGS it takes one year for non-affliation student to gel well with ones coming from affliation. SCGS takes affliated students with low COP of 200 while MGS COP for affliated student is 220. Rationale is that quality of afflitation cohert will make process even slower.

No matter how classes are allocated, there will group activites like CCA/HMT and group dynemics will come in play.

Hate to be pointed at, hence this is last reply on the subject

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cindylauper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 am

My daughter going to SCGS next year. Her personality is not much of a crowd pleaser. Although she is a pleasant person, she is a reserved sort. I am rather worried she may not be able to find any friends in the new school. Would the affiliated primary girls be nice to her? Will she feel culture shock? Her current primary school is a normal neighbourhood school.

cindylauper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:49 am

cindylauper wrote:My daughter going to SCGS next year. Her personality is not much of a crowd pleaser. Although she is a pleasant person, she is a reserved sort. I am rather worried she may not be able to find any friends in the new school. Would the affiliated primary girls be nice to her? Will she feel culture shock? Her current primary school is a normal neighbourhood school.

No worries lah. They have this carer-caree scheme. Girls like to send those little comforting notes to each other. They will find their footing. She will find her CCA and friends in there. My younger daughter will be going there as well. This one is also friendly, chatty and have a very generous heart. I'm sure there are others like that in the school and will rope her into stuff. She will not be left alone. They will all survive well. Keep a close tab, and if you see something amiss, contact her form teacher and action fast.

So far, I have dealt with many, many schools. SCGS teachers are really approachable and the VPs are gentle and kind. It's a school that takes care of not only studies but the welfare of the girls. Communication is also very good.

Welcome to SCGS! Your daughter will leave the school full of grace, wisdom and gentleness at the end of 4 years. What our society needs.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups