Fairfield Methodist Secondary

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Fairfield Methodist Secondary

Postby confusewifchoices » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:15 pm

We will appreciate if anyone of you can share with us about Fairfield Methodist Sec. We are concerned of it band 7 performance in O level L1B5. It seems that Fairfield has declined academically over the years.

We like the Christian values there and the strong CCA that my daughter is interested to be in, but concerned of the academic performance and co-ed environment.

Appreciate your comments, especially parents from Fairfield.

Thanks,
Confusewifchoices

confusewifchoices
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Fairfield Methodist Sec

Postby confusewifchoices » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Any comments please if you have know anything about Fairfield?

confusewifchoices
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Serafiel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:59 pm

I was from FMPS.
FMSS seems to be a good school, it's external COP is 254 in 2005, which I could definitely get in (i got 256+2).
However, internally, you can just get 80 for PSLE and affiliation will get you in.
So, the school is actually rotting on the inside, with NT students ):
No special stream either, back in my days.
It's results for o levels are dismal, because many people just want this route: FMPS->FMSS->ACJC.
So they don't really care about studying. Plus, all the mass church sessions are more of time-wasting than studying about God. You want a good Christian school, go MGS or CHIJ St Nick's instead.

Serafiel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ooptimizer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Seems the same like St Andrew's School.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Secondary School

Postby Kiasulin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi! Any parents here who have children in Fairfield Methodist Secondary School? Appreciate if you can share the experiences with us. Thanks

Kiasulin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mckenzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 am

the NT students (who play football) are a pretty violent bunch...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Fairfield

Postby Kiasulin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi ooptimizer

Thank you for your feeback!

Kiasulin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Fairfield

Postby Kiasulin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry is mckenzy

Thanks for feedback..

Kiasulin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mckenzy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 am

Maybe i should explain a little... a few months back, my son was playing at the the Basketball court which is next to the fence that separates the Primary and the Secondary school... on the Sec Sch side is the football field... basically, his classmates including himself were playing captain's ball and the ball dropped over to the Sec Sch side...

what turned out as a friendly game amongst friends turned out to be a challenge to a fight with the Sec 5 footballers who turned up a group from the initial 4 players to 14 boys who taunted the primary school boys with gestures and vulgarities...

needless to say my boy's classmates were afraid as their uniform indicates their names and they were threatened with 'after school' retribution...

that incident was a good indication for his entire class to stay away from FMSS no matter what their PSLE results were going to be...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Goshen58 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am

FMSS has generally been a good school academically, the class of 2007 had an average of about 10 points, about 88% eligible for Junior college though the next few batches didn't do as well.

Strong family culture where students keep in contact even after going separate ways to various schools, my first daughter and my son still has a large circle of friends from fairfield methodist even till this day where she is in university and he, waiting for national service. according to him, friends are so close that they find it difficult to adapt to different cultures in various JC's, including acjc, albeit this can be bad. Values are christian based and students are extremely protected. to the point that culture shocks occur when they graduate and leave for other schools

normal academic and technical streams are generally rowdier but express/special students tend to stick to themselves so it's usually alright. Fights are extremely rare and while seemingly prejudiced, usually occur amongst NA students in fairfield.

yea good school in all but apparently the culture is changing, with Ms Elaine Lim moving up to MOE and the new principal. "old guard" teachers are also leaving and hence the culture could be changing as there is no one to reinforce the old fairfield culture

Goshen58
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups