Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Nan Chiau High School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Re: Nan Chiau High School

Postby Kelsy Lim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi All parents,

I am just wondering.... if my girl did well in her past 2 years in another sec school, will she get any chances to appeal for a school transfer into NCHS for Sec 3?

Can anyone please advise me?

Kelsy Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Kelsy Lim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Goodluck8 wrote:
Kelsy Lim wrote:Hi All parents,

I am just wondering.... if my girl did well in her past 2 years in another sec school, will she get any chances to appeal for a school transfer into NCHS for Sec 3?

Can anyone please advise me?

It is best to call the admin and ask

Hi,

Ok, Tks. Just wanted to know any parents heard or came across any student being transferred into the school during their sec 2 or 3 successfully?

Kelsy Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ek2727 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:02 am

Dear all,

Can anyone please share their thoughts on this school? Particularly pertaining to discipline, character moulding and commitment of the teachers?

We are in a dilemma on whether to send our DS to Nan Chiau High or Edgefield secondary. He has a t-score of 244. His form teacher said it would be a pity if he gave up the opportunity to go to Nan Chiau to challenge himself rather than stay in the comfort zone at Edgefield.

We are worried that he is unable to cope with the pressure of being one of the "poorer" students in Nan Chiau as compared to being a "better" student at Edgefield, thus affecting his overall confidence in himself.

We are also worried that although he scored an A for Mother Tongue (he did not take HMT for psle), he does not really like the subject & he would struggle/be left behind, since the school is a SAP school with around 6 out of 8 classes taking HMT.

The thing that attracts us to Nan Chiau is that we feel it may have a better environment to mould him into a person with good character. Having more pressure to perform academically may also push him to work harder, but we are worried it may have the opposite effect.

Sorry for the long post but we really hope to make an informed and correct decision, so we would appreciate any inputs and thoughts...thank you.

ek2727
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kl person » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 am

ek2727 wrote:Dear all,

Can anyone please share their thoughts on this school? Particularly pertaining to discipline, character moulding and commitment of the teachers?

We are in a dilemma on whether to send our DS to Nan Chiau High or Edgefield secondary. He has a t-score of 244. His form teacher said it would be a pity if he gave up the opportunity to go to Nan Chiau to challenge himself rather than stay in the comfort zone at Edgefield.

We are worried that he is unable to cope with the pressure of being one of the "poorer" students in Nan Chiau as compared to being a "better" student at Edgefield, thus affecting his overall confidence in himself.

We are also worried that although he scored an A for Mother Tongue (he did not take HMT for psle), he does not really like the subject & he would struggle/be left behind, since the school is a SAP school with around 6 out of 8 classes taking HMT.

The thing that attracts us to Nan Chiau is that we feel it may have a better environment to mould him into a person with good character. Having more pressure to perform academically may also push him to work harder, but we are worried it may have the opposite effect.

Sorry for the long post but we really hope to make an informed and correct decision, so we would appreciate any inputs and thoughts...thank you.

Hi ek2727!

Pertaining to discipline, they have a very strict late policy. The amount of times you are late affects your DS's conduct rate. Regarding the commitment of the teachers, I feel that my teachers are very helpful and caring. If you ever need help, they would be very happy to help you. My Mathematics is particularly weak, fortunately my Mathematics teacher took time to help a few other students including me.

I feel that there isn't any discrimination or any comparing in nchs. This is because the classes that your child will be assigned to will only be based on the fact whether he takes HMT or MSP(I think). Hence, there will actually be a mix of the "poorer" and "better" students. I feel that everyone aren't judging the "poorer" students and they are all very friendly and helpful regardless of each other's score. Hence, I feel that nchs has a very good environment and there would be no harm to your DS's confidence at all.

Kl person
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DingDing70 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi

My DS has yet to get his uniformed shirt as the size he needs ran out of stock. Can he report to school in collared blue dri-fit tee and school uniform short or PE attire for the 1st week?

Thanks.
Last edited by DingDing70 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DingDing70
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby the little ones » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:33 pm

after reading other parents posts, am glad our daughter will be joining nan chiau high!

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DingDing70 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi

I read somewhere that blue collared dri-fit tee is to be worn on every Friday with uniformed shorts, hence, the students do not need to be in white uniformed top?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

DingDing70
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby aaadaddy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 pm

DingDing70 wrote:Hi

I read somewhere that blue collared dri-fit tee is to be worn on every Friday with uniformed shorts, hence, the students do not need to be in white uniformed top?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

That was what I was told by the uniform vendor. Seems to be that case though someone mentioned earlier that the child can opt to wear the full uniform on Friday too.

aaadaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby DingDing70 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 pm

It will be good if they can come in the blue collar tee instead of the white uniformed top! Cooler for my DS.

DingDing70
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby aaadaddy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:01 pm

DingDing70 wrote:It will be good if they can come in the blue collar tee instead of the white uniformed top! Cooler for my DS.

Certainly! I thought the material for the white uniform top is rather thick... :sweat:

aaadaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres