Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Raffles Institution [*IP]

Post by naggo-nitemare » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 am

Huge congratulations to the class of 2018!
The Lit distinction rate of 90% and the GP distinction rate of 57% are truly impressive.

Careermum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Careermum » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Congratulations to the class of 2018 RI(JC).

Looking at the humanities results, Econs distinction is 6 in 10, Geography distinction is 7 in 10.
Does it mean it is easier to get distinction for Geography?

DS is keen to do physics, chemistry and math when he progresses to Year 5.
He has no preference for the contrasting humanities subject.
Should I encourage DS to choose Geography over Econs, or will that be too content heavy?
It seems that PCME is one of the popular subject combi.
May I ask are there students who do PCMG combi?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:83

Post by ngl2010 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Careermum wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm
Congratulations to the class of 2018 RI(JC).

Looking at the humanities results, Econs distinction is 6 in 10, Geography distinction is 7 in 10.
Does it mean it is easier to get distinction for Geography?

DS is keen to do physics, chemistry and math when he progresses to Year 5.
He has no preference for the contrasting humanities subject.
Should I encourage DS to choose Geography over Econs, or will that be too content heavy?
It seems that PCME is one of the popular subject combi.
May I ask are there students who do PCMG combi?
Yes, there are students who do PCMG combi. DS is doing PCME so he can’t comment on Geography.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm

The no. of students who get distinctions is dependent on how they selected courses (interest, ease, oerceived usefulness, etc). One of my daughters took Econs and another took Geog. Both are pretty content-heavy, so I don't think that's much of a criterion. Econs requires more "mathematical" thinking; Geog is more concrete. It really depends on what he likes - get him to read up a bit at the end of the year before choosing.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm
The no. of students who get distinctions is dependent on how they selected courses (interest, ease, oerceived usefulness, etc). One of my daughters took Econs and another took Geog. Both are pretty content-heavy, so I don't think that's much of a criterion. Econs requires more "mathematical" thinking; Geog is more concrete. It really depends on what he likes - get him to read up a bit at the end of the year before choosing.
What type of students would choose Lit? Those very hardcore humans type? Any Sci students chose Lit as their contrasting subject?

I have an impression that Lit would be the hardest humans subject to score but was floored when 9 out of 10 Lit students scored As last year, making it the best performing A level H2 subject in the sch.

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by fanren » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 pm

9 out of 10 score A for lit is not the norm.. the previous year was 7 out of 10, same as other humanities.. econs result is a de-provement from previous years so picking based on interest, aptitude etc is better. I am wowed by the lit performance, well done!

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm

fanren wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 pm
9 out of 10 score A for lit is not the norm.. the previous year was 7 out of 10, same as other humanities.. econs result is a de-provement from previous years so picking based on interest, aptitude etc is better. I am wowed by the lit performance, well done!
Agree with your pt on choosing base on interest.

Careermum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Careermum » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 pm

It is possible that the majority chose econs as econs seems to be the most common contrasting subject for science stream & also the likely subject for Arts stream ie good & below average students all chose econs, hence the wide range of grades.
Lit is likely chosen by those who really have passion & likely confident to do well ie it’s a selected small cohort, hence the high no. of As.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Cloud Cloud » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 pm

DD is interested to do H3 biology? Is it difficult to score distinction? Compared to chemistry?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:45 pm

iRabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm
slmkhoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm
What type of students would choose Lit? Those very hardcore humans type? Any Sci students chose Lit as their contrasting subject?

I have an impression that Lit would be the hardest humans subject to score but was floored when 9 out of 10 Lit students scored As last year, making it the best performing A level H2 subject in the sch.
I guess those who choose Lit are the ones who are really interested and have a flair. It's a very self-selected bunch as a lot of students shy away. I don't know how many Sci students choose it, but certainly all the Humanities scholars have to take it!