Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: RI CCA

Post by luckystar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 pm

:D
Last edited by luckystar on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by luckystar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Read thru the web, to join MEP is not easy, need to go for a test, and only 5 were selected last year.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi, can any parent confirm if schedule below for athletics means the child stays back a total of 9 hours just for this cca? or is it like either dates? once a week?

Practice Schedule (from website)
Day Start End
Monday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm
Wednesday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm
Friday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm

What about for Maths club?
Practice Schedule
Day Start End
Friday 1.30 pm 3 pm
Friday 3 pm 4.30 pm

Do most parents join the RPA?

btw, thanks luckystar for giving me the idea to start checking out ccas.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by luckystar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:25 pm

It is very common a child has to stay back for the CCA he joins 3 times a week in most of the schools.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Fairy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:20 am

mathsparks wrote:Hi, can any parent confirm if schedule below for athletics means the child stays back a total of 9 hours just for this cca? or is it like either dates? once a week?

Practice Schedule (from website)
Day Start End
Monday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm
Wednesday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm
Friday, RI(JC) Stadium 3.30pm 6.30pm

What about for Maths club?
Practice Schedule
Day Start End
Friday 1.30 pm 3 pm
Friday 3 pm 4.30 pm

Do most parents join the RPA?

btw, thanks luckystar for giving me the idea to start checking out ccas.
If you wish to join RI, be prepared to spend a lot of time in your CCA(s). Most students have more than 1 CCA, on top of their 3rd Lang & the various Electives.

All sports CCAs requires students to stay back at least 3 times a week with one of the sessions on a Saturday for some.

Uniform Group CCAs have training twice a week with extra activities (camps & etc) now and then. The training sessions almost always last longer than the time indicated on the website.

Merit CCAs are usually on Fridays. Some Merit CCAs require a lot more time commitment.

I am aware of students having 4 CCAs, including a sports CCA! Some of these guys are also in the RA and continue to win prizes in competitions. It's amazing how they manage their time. My son has 2 CCAs, and I'm already making a lot of noise regarding the disproportionate amount of time he has spent on his CCAs.

RPA membership is optional. At $60 for 6 years, it is very reasonable. However, the only time you'll see RPA member in 'full force' is during the year 1 subject briefing by the school teachers, arranged by RPA and for members only!

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by vlim » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:20 am

inorder to qualify for scholarship such as those from 'psa' (hope I did not remember wrongly), is there minimal number of cca student has to take up. :?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks fairy for the info.

Now I'm worried if son can cope with such long hours. I'm sure it'll be a shock to his system..from used to having so much me-time and slowing down after 9:30pm to rushing daily. Hope he can manage and remain sane as well.

So the RPA of $60 is per parent or both? I'm sure both of us kiasu parents will not want to miss the subject briefing. Any idea if most students take up a core and a merit cca? Or is merit cca not so common?

How about the class size?
Last edited by mathsparks on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by luckystar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:05 pm

The kids in RI are really fantastic ! The parents ought to know how these kids manage ! :salute:

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Dharma » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:48 pm

mathsparks wrote:Thanks fairy for the info.

Now I'm worried if son can cope with such long hours. I'm sure it'll be a shock to his system..from used to having so much me-time and slowing down after 9:30pm to rushing daily. Hope he can manage and remain sane as well.
I believe, only 1 core CCA is compulsary.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks dharma. I was just wondering if most kids get by with just a core or do most take up additional merit as well.