Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Post Reply
porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Oct 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by porcupine12trade » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi,

Is there a level chat for y1 parents? thanks

angelite
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 08,

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by angelite » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm

May I know where to see the packing list for yesr 1 orientation camp ?

porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Oct 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by porcupine12trade » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:30 pm

angelite wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm
May I know where to see the packing list for yesr 1 orientation camp ?
the link to the packing list is here, login details are in file given during reporting day. https://welcome.ri.edu.sg

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5078
Joined: Fri Dec 02,
Total Likes:137

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by iRabbit » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Something interesting for new Rafflesians to read.

http://www.ri.edu.sg/highlights/story/a ... ar-1-in-ri

First the bad news …

"Coming into RI, you would have already anticipated that it is quite a stressful and competitive environment. I take no pleasure in informing you that you are completely right! "

Now for the good news …

"Nonetheless, there is a silver lining. Your suffering is shared with all your peers, and so are your notes. Exams may be tough, but expect seniors to pass down notes, expect the smartest kid in class to help some of the weaker students and expect your peers to invite you to collaborate and conquer the exams together. Friendships in RI are formed in the crucible of exam suffering."

Anyway the above is just for casual reading and may not be reflective of all students. While my boy can attest that most of his seniors and peers are helpful to one another, he's not unduly stressed mainly bcoz he's comfortable with his place within the school (no, he's not those top calibre students who regularly get invited on stage for prize-giving but he's okay with it).

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5078
Joined: Fri Dec 02,
Total Likes:137

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by iRabbit » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:13 pm

porcupine12trade wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:45 pm
Hi,

Is there a level chat for y1 parents? thanks
Personally I feel that there's no need for this. The school has a practice of inviting the Y1 parents for a briefing in the early part of the year where parents will be segregated based on their boys' classes. That's when class level WhatsApp groups are formed.

Anyway from what I gathered, most of the time those WhatsApp groups are dead silent (like mine had less than 10 msgs per year after the initial excitement died down). In any case, when our boys enrol in RI, that's a good time they start to take ownership of their studies (if they haven't already done so). I told my boy it'll be so embarrassing for me (and him) to seek any clarification in the parents WhatsApp group when he is old enough to clarify his doubts from his peers himself.


porcupine12trade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Oct 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by porcupine12trade » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:33 pm

iRabbit wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:13 pm
porcupine12trade wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:45 pm
Hi,

Is there a level chat for y1 parents? thanks
Personally I feel that there's no need for this. The school has a practice of inviting the Y1 parents for a briefing in the early part of the year where parents will be segregated based on their boys' classes. That's when class level WhatsApp groups are formed.

Anyway from what I gathered, most of the time those WhatsApp groups are dead silent (like mine had less than 10 msgs per year after the initial excitement died down). In any case, when our boys enrol in RI, that's a good time they start to take ownership of their studies (if they haven't already done so). I told my boy it'll be so embarrassing for me (and him) to seek any clarification in the parents WhatsApp group when he is old enough to clarify his doubts from his peers himself.
I agree that the children got to take ownership of their studies. I believe it starts in primary school. I appreciate chat group for myself. Some parents send reminders for parents to do stuff once a while. My bad, I should take ownership, but I can get very forgetful. :sweat:

angelite
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 08,

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by angelite » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:11 pm

porcupine12trade wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:30 pm
angelite wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm
May I know where to see the packing list for yesr 1 orientation camp ?
the link to the packing list is here, login details are in file given during reporting day. https://welcome.ri.edu.sg
Thank you !

angelite
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 08,

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by angelite » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm

porcupine12trade wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:30 pm
angelite wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm
May I know where to see the packing list for yesr 1 orientation camp ?
the link to the packing list is here, login details are in file given during reporting day. https://welcome.ri.edu.sg
Thank you !

Orange1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 31,

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by Orange1234 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm

steffi88 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm
How many classes are there?
DS shared tt there’re 12 classes.

Ellybelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 23,
Total Likes:2

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by Ellybelly » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi parents,
Does anyone know how are the classes allocated? Is it all mixed? Are there DSA classes? Are there separate GEP classes and how many? Are MS boys mixed with the GEP or theres no more segregation?

Sorry for the questions 😅 cos I do not know anyone whose boy is in RI. Thank u!

Post Reply