Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Fairy wrote:Most boys take up merit CCAs. Of course, there will be some who signed up but were not regular in their attendance due to crashes with their core CCAs or lack of discipline. They may be ''expelled'". According to the head of sports during the year 1 CCA briefing for parents, participation in CCAs in RI is not recreational, got it? :roll:

I strongly feel that taking up a merit CCA should be out of interest/passion, not peer pressure! Otherwise, life at RI will be miserable, what with core CCA commitments, projects, assignments, compulsory match support activities, tests, exams & time spent preparing for competitions.....

I guess the muggers will spend minimum time on what is not compulsory to free up time for their studies so as to continue to achieve sterling results. Those who is more particular about enjoying their journey at the instituion will busy themselves with activities they love, spending just enough time in their studies to get by. I'm not condoning such behavior, but they are usually the happier boys with fond memories of their school life! :D

Class size is around 30.
Hi Fairy, hope my boy won't be miserable. He loves Maths so would like to sign up for it but at the same time I'm worried it's too much for him to cope. And I do hope that he'll enjoy life in RI rather than dreading the days ahead.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35 pm

vlim wrote:thanks lowmama...what if the student is no gd in any sport cca and can't manage to get into any cca???
hi vlim, core ccas include uniformed and music groups. so there're alternatives. no worries.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:37 pm

CrazyDad wrote: Some bad thing about RI...Chinese will de-prove...
Hi crazydad,
I'm not unduly worried about that. To enter local U, only need a subpass in A level normal chinese. For overseas U, unless going to chinese Us, I doubt your marks in chinese matters.

lowmama
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lowmama » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 pm

mathsparks wrote:
vlim wrote:thanks lowmama...what if the student is no gd in any sport cca and can't manage to get into any cca???
hi vlim, core ccas include uniformed and music groups. so there're alternatives. no worries.
that's right. my son managed to get into a uniformed grp altho he was never in one during pri sch.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by vlim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm

mathsparks wrote:
but i wouldn't want him to join uniformed nor music groups as they take up a lot of time.. :(

mjl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mjl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Just to check, how does RI calculate the overall GPA? Is it based on the average GPA of all subjects or only selected x number of subjects?

RGS used to calculate the GPA based on average GPA of all subjects, but from this year onwards, it is based on the best of the two - Average GPA of all 9 subjects, Average GPA of 7 selected subjects. Due to this change, the mean & median overall GPA of the girls is now much higher, as compared to previous years. For this year's Sec 3, the mean GPA is about 3.6x which means more than 50% has GPA of above 3.6, as compared to previous years when only 10-20% having GPA of above 3.6.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Dharma » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 am

mjl wrote:Just to check, how does RI calculate the overall GPA? Is it based on the average GPA of all subjects or only selected x number of subjects?

RGS used to calculate the GPA based on average GPA of all subjects, but from this year onwards, it is based on the best of the two - Average GPA of all 9 subjects, Average GPA of 7 selected subjects. Due to this change, the mean & median overall GPA of the girls is now much higher, as compared to previous years. For this year's Sec 3, the mean GPA is about 3.6x which means more than 50% has GPA of above 3.6, as compared to previous years when only 10-20% having GPA of above 3.6.
Hi mjl,

From what I understand, both RI and RGS have agreed to the revised computation of GPA (i.e. the better of GPA of all subjects or the 5 core + 2 best subjects) from this year and old computation will be phased out in 1 ~2 years time. Also, I’ve noticed in RI website last month where list of names of boys called for RA interview showed that their GPAs already following the revised computation.

Just curious where you managed to get the info on the mean GPA of abt 3.6 (is it based on MYA or EYA). Median and mean GPA for MYA was flashed during SPM but where can I find the scores for EYA.

TIA.

sleeping beauty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sleeping beauty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm

mjl wrote:RGS used to calculate the GPA based on average GPA of all subjects, but from this year onwards, it is based on the best of the two - Average GPA of all 9 subjects, Average GPA of 7 selected subjects.
Hi mjl,

Pardon my ignorance but you mentioned 9 subjects in RGS. How many compulsory subjects do RGS girls have to take in Sec 1? I can think of only 7 - EL/MT/Maths/Science/History/Geography/Literature. 8 if one takes a third language. Can ANY ONE please advise what I am missing ? :?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by sleeping beauty on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:18 pm

social studies?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by daisyt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:29 pm

sleeping beauty wrote:EL/MT/Maths/Science/History/Geography/Literature.
Thanks! :D
EL and Literature are separate subjects ?