Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
sleeping beauty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sleeping beauty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:47 pm

daisyt wrote:
sleeping beauty wrote:EL/MT/Maths/Science/History/Geography/Literature.
Thanks! :D
EL and Literature are separate subjects ?
I think so. Not sure either. :?:

mjl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mjl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Dharma wrote: Just curious where you managed to get the info on the mean GPA of abt 3.6 (is it based on MYA or EYA). Median and mean GPA for MYA was flashed during SPM but where can I find the scores for EYA.
TIA.
Hi Dharma,
During one of the post EYA activities, the principal shared with the Sec 3s and 4s the mean and median GPA for EOY report.

I got the impression that RI was using such a system long ago and hence their students generally got higher GPA, and RGS was trying to align with that system, to be fairer to RGS since both will be entering RI(JC).
sleeping beauty wrote: Pardon my ignorance but you mentioned 9 subjects in RGS. How many compulsory subjects do RGS girls have to take in Sec 1? I can think of only 7 - EL/MT/Maths/Science/History/Geography/Literature. 8 if one takes a third language. Can ANY ONE please advise what I am missing ?
For Sec 1, 7 not including 3rd lang.
For Sec 3, 9 not including 3rd lang. Different subjects depending on the combination. Note the diff betw Sec 1 & 3 - there are 2 Maths (Sec 1 only 1), 3 Sciences (Sec 1 only 1) and there is compulsory Social Studies (not avail in Sec 1).

sleeping beauty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sleeping beauty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:16 pm

sleeping beauty wrote: Pardon my ignorance but you mentioned 9 subjects in RGS. How many compulsory subjects do RGS girls have to take in Sec 1? I can think of only 7 - EL/MT/Maths/Science/History/Geography/Literature. 8 if one takes a third language. Can ANY ONE please advise what I am missing ?
For Sec 3, 9 not including 3rd lang. Different subjects depending on the combination. Note the diff betw Sec 1 & 3 - there are 2 Maths (Sec 1 only 1), 3 Sciences (Sec 1 only 1) and there is compulsory Social Studies (not avail in Sec 1).[/quote]

Really appreciate your clarification. Thanks, mjl !!! :celebrate:

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Dharma » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm

mjl wrote:
Dharma wrote: Just curious where you managed to get the info on the mean GPA of abt 3.6 (is it based on MYA or EYA). Median and mean GPA for MYA was flashed during SPM but where can I find the scores for EYA.
TIA.
Hi Dharma,
During one of the post EYA activities, the principal shared with the Sec 3s and 4s the mean and median GPA for EOY report.

I got the impression that RI was using such a system long ago and hence their students generally got higher GPA, and RGS was trying to align with that system, to be fairer to RGS since both will be entering RI(JC).
For Sec 3, 9 not including 3rd lang. Different subjects depending on the combination. Note the diff betw Sec 1 & 3 - there are 2 Maths (Sec 1 only 1), 3 Sciences (Sec 1 only 1) and there is compulsory Social Studies (not avail in Sec 1).
Thanks mjl. Now understand why so many boys w/ very high GPAs in RI.

mjl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mjl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 am

Dharma wrote: Thanks mjl. Now understand why so many boys w/ very high GPAs in RI.
Hi Dharma, that was my impression of the RI GPA system. Need RI student/parent to confirm if they only just change the system this year or have all along been using 7 out of 9 subjects to calculate. Also, my daughter said this year the mean GPA is 3.53 and median GPA is 3.60 for RGS Sec 3.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Dharma » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 am

mjl wrote:
Dharma wrote: Thanks mjl. Now understand why so many boys w/ very high GPAs in RI.
Hi Dharma, that was my impression of the RI GPA system. Need RI student/parent to confirm if they only just change the system this year or have all along been using 7 out of 9 subjects to calculate. Also, my daughter said this year the mean GPA is 3.53 and median GPA is 3.60 for RGS Sec 3.
Thanks mjl

lowmama
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lowmama » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 am

mjl wrote:
The GPA computation for RI has just been revised this yr and for the 2009 interim period, the GPA of all Year 1 to Year 4 students will be based on the better of either the existing GPA calculation (counting all examinable subjects offered) or new GPA calculation (5 CORE + BEST 3 OF REMAINING SUBJECTS).

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

RI cca

Post by vlim » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

HI, I would like to know how often per week do students who join NPCC need to go for the training/activities? :?

Sarcastik
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Sarcastik » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:19 pm

NPCC is twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays. They may have extra stuff to do during competitions, but seeing that I'm not from NPCC (Or any UGs for that matter) , I do not know much about the schedule for NPCC in RI.

Btw, to anyone who needs this info, in order to move on to the next level in RI (Sec 1 to 2 and so on) there is a pre-requisite of a pass in English, Philosophy and Research Education and an overall GPA of 2.0.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mathsparks » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I didn't expect son to want to do a 3rd lang. But he now wants to do french, doesn't want anything to do with Japanese..since it's got chinese chars in there. This boy has a fear of chinese. His t-score was dragged down by it.

Anyway, just want to ask for RI students, french is done at the MOE lang centre? how often and how long per week?