Dunman High School (Junior High)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Jay Chou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Dunman High School [*IP]

Post by Jay Chou » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks.

don't know why so shy.. or maybe lazy. headache.

I'll push him again to approach teachers. thank you

CocoCrumbles
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by CocoCrumbles » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Encourage your child to drop the teachers a Whatsapp or email to arrange for consultations. Ask him to provide a few time slots. Sometimes the teachers will ask if the students could meet in small groups.

CocoCrumbles
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by CocoCrumbles » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:30 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Hooray to another president scholar! Congrats to Clara Lim!
Just curious, how many DHS President Scholar to date already? :smile:
I believe Clara is the 6th!

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Why Dunman High does not open up places to JAE students after GCE O level, whereas other Junior College like RI, HCI, VJC, NJC do so ?

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by cmm » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:52 am

My daughter wants to drop TRP next year. She's in Year 1 this year. I'd like to check with fellow parents, is TRP important? What are the consequences of dropping TRP? My daughter is citing lack of interest and busy schedule as reasons to drop this subject. She currently does 3rd language, has CO as her CCA, and does ballet twice a week.

Would appreciate some advice on this. Thank you!

friesbeforeguys
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by friesbeforeguys » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:21 am

cmm wrote:My daughter wants to drop TRP next year. She's in Year 1 this year. I'd like to check with fellow parents, is TRP important? What are the consequences of dropping TRP? My daughter is citing lack of interest and busy schedule as reasons to drop this subject. She currently does 3rd language, has CO as her CCA, and does ballet twice a week.

Would appreciate some advice on this. Thank you!
hi!! i just signed up cos i wanted to reply to this!! Hi mdm/sir!!! i'm a year 3 in dhs this year and i'm also from CO!!!! i'd rlly want to know ur daughter haha! and YESS!!!! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT IN DHS!!! it's compulsory for the first 2 years in DHS, but trust me no one likes it at all... tbh i failed my TRP back then, but kinda regret it now. as u know, dhs has its own learning system and starting from year 3, students are able to choose what type of TRP category to study ONLY if he/she's results reach the requirements :) so ya, it's quite a rare opportunity so it will definitely benefit ur child in future! :/ but maybe if u dont want ur daughter to be so stressted out, maybe drop 3rd lang? ballet? oh yes there will be this 双文化 in year 3 so get ur child to study hard and get into this programme!!! highly recommended :)) hope i helped haha :smile:

besty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by besty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:16 pm

How do we know how DHS fairs in terms of A level performance? When searching for A level performance school ranking, I found that DHS is always being left out! All the JCs are listed by ranking but there is no DHS! I believe DHS should rank number 3, after RJC and HCI, since by PSLE cop it's ranked number 5, after nygs, ri, rgs & hci?

At the moment, the ranking goes: RJC, hci, njc, Vjc, ....
Where does Dhs stand?

Maybe Moe should change the status of Dhs from being a secondary school to a junior college

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:53 pm

besty wrote:How do we know how DHS fairs in terms of A level performance? When searching for A level performance school ranking, I found that DHS is always being left out! All the JCs are listed by ranking but there is no DHS! I believe DHS should rank number 3, after RJC and HCI, since by PSLE cop it's ranked number 5, after nygs, ri, rgs & hci?

At the moment, the ranking goes: RJC, hci, njc, Vjc, ....
Where does Dhs stand?

Maybe Moe should change the status of Dhs from being a secondary school to a junior college
Dunman ranked #3, in A level ?
You sure ?
still got VJC, NJC

besty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by besty » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Not sure, that's why I am hoping to find out!
By right if there is nothing wrong with DHS's IP program, DHS Should rank number THREE in A level performance. I am assuming that the same batch of good students who entered DHS S1 with the FIFTH HIGHEST PSLE COP in the country, will emerge just as good (only after nygs, to, rgs, hci).
Vic's IP is not proven. Their first batch of IP has not finished A levels yet. Njc I don't know, should be on par with DHS, again, I am using their psle cop as a gauge.

Another way of putting my point across is: since DHS received a batch of S1 students who did better in psle compared to say Vic (on average, based on psle cop), at the end of 6 years, I would expect DHS's A level performance is better than Vjc's IP batch. If not, then something is not good enough about DHS's IP program, or maybe namely the year 5 & 6 program.

Does this make sense?

Still, I wish I know where DHS stands in terms of A level performance!

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:50 pm

besty wrote:Not sure, that's why I am hoping to find out!
By right if there is nothing wrong with DHS's IP program, DHS Should rank number THREE in A level performance. I am assuming that the same batch of good students who entered DHS S1 with the FIFTH HIGHEST PSLE COP in the country, will emerge just as good (only after nygs, to, rgs, hci).
Vic's IP is not proven. Their first batch of IP has not finished A levels yet. Njc I don't know, should be on par with DHS, again, I am using their psle cop as a gauge.

Another way of putting my point across is: since DHS received a batch of S1 students who did better in psle compared to say Vic (on average, based on psle cop), at the end of 6 years, I would expect DHS's A level performance is better than Vjc's IP batch. If not, then something is not good enough about DHS's IP program, or maybe namely the year 5 & 6 program.

Does this make sense?

Still, I wish I know where DHS stands in terms of A level performance!
No lah, don't make sense, bec yr assumption is limited, based only on psle cut off point intake

A) vjc, njc take in jae students with excellent good O level results plus CCA skill, and these group of jae students also sit for A level, contribute to A level results.

B) you assume that good psle t score can enter dunman high naturally translated into good A level results. Wrong assumption !
Why ?
From psle to A level : 6 long years so long, anything can happen
If child encounter bgr problem, or over committed in CCA, or no technique in time management play too many computer games in Sec school, or can't cope with IP curriculum, or family background issue, or for whatever personal reasons got distracted, lose focus in study, that's it.

There are also students who managed to dsa successfully into Dunman High amongst P6 cohort, through Sports, dance, etc & their T-score very far away from DHS Cut off point, more than 20 points difference away. Although they managed to enter, but some of them faced a challenging school life ahead, in IP. To begin with, when they step in, they are already at bottom of the ocean cohort.
If one say, miss by a few 3 points away from Cut off point, ok.
But if miss by more than 20 points difference, that's a lot of difference, start to question : is this child really suitable, fit for IP academic rigor ?

Btw, there are students inside dunman high that cannot cope with IP, for whatever reasons they faced personally.
As a result, there is one class formed, for them to take O level, if can't cope.
After take O level, if they want to resume A level in dunman high or goto another junior college, they can choose.
However, some prefer to go to other JC instead of resume A level in dunman high because the kids inside the O level class feel piaseh, because their fellow peers are aware that they took O level, hence they prefer to start afresh in another new JC for A level, where nobody know their background.

So your assumption that simply based on psle tscore that dunman height is ranked number 3, is wrong.
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.