Dunman High School (Junior High)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:85

Re: Dunman High School [*IP]

Post by Augmum » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:23 pm

besty wrote:How do we know how DHS fairs in terms of A level performance? When searching for A level performance school ranking, I found that DHS is always being left out! All the JCs are listed by ranking but there is no DHS! I believe DHS should rank number 3, after RJC and HCI, since by PSLE cop it's ranked number 5, after nygs, ri, rgs & hci?
besty wrote:
Another way of putting my point across is: since DHS received a batch of S1 students who did better in psle compared to say Vic (on average, based on psle cop), at the end of 6 years, I would expect DHS's A level performance is better than Vjc's IP batch. If not, then something is not good enough about DHS's IP program, or maybe namely the year 5 & 6 program.
As there is NO official ranking of JCs done by MOE...So what some pple did was to compile their own ranking list based on COP of these JCs ...
Since DHS n RVHS do not admit O level pupils fr JAE...they are being excluded in the ranking list...

During JAE, the Top JCs hv the " privilege" to pick students who excel in their O level exams ( the late bloomers) to "further strengthen" their existing cohort...(besides admitting good psle performers)...

Thus, u cant simply based on the COP of DHS alone to say that " becos the COP of DHS is higher than VS , so would expect DHS's A level performance has to be better than VJC...otherwise, something is not good enough about DHS's IP program"...

Also, do take note that students who DSAed to DHS... some of whom i know ....came in via DSA Sports, their PSLE agg scores were nowhere near the COP...fell in the range of 23x - 24X ( of coz, I dont mean VS doesnt hv this range of DSA pupils)...

Nevertheless...to give u a rough idea...
From the P's speech to the whole cohort...after the release of the A level results
DHS A level results performance ( as seen in recent yrs) is relatively, almost on par with NJC n VJC .... these 2 well established JCs since decades ago...

BUT DHS took a much shorter time frame to attain this level...

besty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by besty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks phtthp! I am so in need to discuss this with someone!
Agree on your point A! So NJC VJC will continue to accept good JAE students, while DHS does not..
On your point B, I know what you are saying, but don't quite agree, cos those problems such as low tscore of dsa students, bad time management, play too much computer, over commitment in cca, can't cope w IP, family background issues... actually applies to all students similarly. So I wouldn't consider this point, unless we are saying DHS students are MORE PRONE TO such problems?! No la, can't be right? If DHS students really indeed are MORE PRONE TO such problems, then I will be very worried about putting my child there :>

besty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by besty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks Augmum, your 'rough idea' gives me reassurance!!
You know, I wonder, how VJC will fair in A level results when their first batch of IP finishes A levels! If by then, VJC 's A level results is still better than DHS's, I will be really impressed with VJC! Because, if it generally basically would have transform a batch of students with lower psle tscores than DHS to become a batch of students with better A level results, it's great. Yes I know there will still be the good JAE students factor (if they will still be taking in), but I believe these will become minority compared to their own IP students by then?
And if this really happens, I will really think there is something not v strong about DHS's IP program..
My point is, u see, students who went into nygs ri rgs hci, they went in as tops and finished A levels still as tops in general. In a way, their systems are proven. Whether it's academic or the way the schools nurture those good students in their overall development and positive go-go-get-it mindset which in the end land them still as tops. I am very impressed.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:10 am

besty wrote:Thanks Augmum, your 'rough idea' gives me reassurance!!
You know, I wonder, how VJC will fair in A level results when their first batch of IP finishes A levels! If by then, VJC 's A level results is still better than DHS's, I will be really impressed with VJC! Because, if it generally basically would have transform a batch of students with lower psle tscores than DHS to become a batch of students with better A level results, it's great. Yes I know there will still be the good JAE students factor (if they will still be taking in), but I believe these will become minority compared to their own IP students by then?
And if this really happens, I will really think there is something not v strong about DHS's IP program..
My point is, u see, students who went into nygs ri rgs hci, they went in as tops and finished A levels still as tops in general. In a way, their systems are proven. Whether it's academic or the way the schools nurture those good students in their overall development and positive go-go-get-it mindset which in the end land them still as tops. I am very impressed.

Hello betsy, I am very curious as to why you are analyzing VJC n DHS in such depths?

Are you planning to send your kids via DSA to both VJC n DHS

besty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by besty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:54 am

I am already a year too late in doing this. My ds is already in DHS. My sister's Ds is taking psle this year so I am trying to finish my 'unfinished biz' hoping to help her make a good decision..
In a way, I am hoping to get some reassurance knowing DHS's IP program is solid. I don't hv that confidence now. I feel DHS lack of a certain school spirit which motivates students (in general) to want to soar, to make DHS the best. I say this because I feel my boy is rather relaxed in his school life even thou he joins everything he cld join as a Y1 student. Yet he is above average in his academics. I was hoping to put him in a school where the school environment will push him to excel. Or he will feel such stiff competition that he will automatically become more on the ball. He strives best under pressure and stiff competition. I wonder if the lack of competitiveness and go-getter spirit has to do with DHS being co-ed. I am guessing, like maybe, after all boys and girls care more about their image in front of the opposite sex and don't want to appear too kiasu, or the boys r trying to be cool.
I hope people on this thread don't take offense to the things I say :)

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:17 am

Maybe your son only in year 1, still a long way to go, before reach year 6 (A level), can relax a bit. When they reach year 5, year 6, knowing that they have to face A level major exam, they will be very on, automatically, because the heat of sitting A level exam, spur them on.

whether go DHS or go VJC or go RI : doesn't matter. All are good JC
As long as at the end of the day, your son able to enter the faculty of choice, in university : that is the most important.

Assuming that DHS or VJC ranked number 3, and many kids churn out stellar A level results, but if one's own child fail to enter the university faculty of choice, then what's the point ?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 am

besty wrote:I am already a year too late in doing this. My ds is already in DHS. My sister's Ds is taking psle this year so I am trying to finish my 'unfinished biz' hoping to help her make a good decision..
In a way, I am hoping to get some reassurance knowing DHS's IP program is solid. I don't hv that confidence now. I feel DHS lack of a certain school spirit which motivates students (in general) to want to soar, to make DHS the best. I say this because I feel my boy is rather relaxed in his school life even thou he joins everything he cld join as a Y1 student. Yet he is above average in his academics. I was hoping to put him in a school where the school environment will push him to excel. Or he will feel such stiff competition that he will automatically become more on the ball. He strives best under pressure and stiff competition. I wonder if the lack of competitiveness and go-getter spirit has to do with DHS being co-ed. I am guessing, like maybe, after all boys and girls care more about their image in front of the opposite sex and don't want to appear too kiasu, or the boys r trying to be cool.
I hope people on this thread don't take offense to the things I say :)

If your son is above average in academics, why didn't you put him in RI in the first place? RI is the NO 1 n practically every parent yearns for their child to be in RI.

Y1 is like P1 - it's relaxed becos the school wants the young kids to transit into Sec Sch in a less stressful way. Did you ask yr DS if he is happy in DHS or does he feel that his ability is above DHS std? If so, why not ask for a transfer? It's best to do it now n not delay as IP is a 6 year prog - you won't want to have any regrets later if you feel that your son can be stretched even further in RI.

Apparently, you have some misconceptions of DHS. Both my kids are in co-Ed schools n I don't see them vain or busy trying to look good in the eyes of the opposite sex. In fact, by mixing with the opposite gender during school days make them open, confident n optimistic towards handling both genders.

Ultimately, both u n yr DS need to know what are your pursuits in IP school? I do not want to bad mouth the top schools as I don't know what is the school culture. All I can say is that many students including my DD are happy in DHS n I as a parent is very satisfied with the education that she has received todate.

So it's still not too late for you to reconsider as to whether yr DS shld continue in DHS as giving up 1 place is giving another student an opportunity to come in.

Hope that you are not offended by my post.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:53 am

besty wrote:Thanks Augmum, your 'rough idea' gives me reassurance!!

Main difference between Dunman High & RI / HCI is :
for Dunman High, all pupils start afresh from Secondary 1, they all come from various primary schools in Sg.

In contrast, NYGH take in many affliated NYPS girls, with T-score 250 & above.
From very young (Primary 1 to Primary 6) : these NYPS girls are fiercely loyal to their primary school, to their name called Nanyang. They excel in all areas, bringing glory to their school. Hence, when they proceed to Sec 1 to A level for IP, naturally they will bring forth their primary school strong bonding team spirit, into their NYGH culture & school environment, continue to excel in all areas, continue to uphold their Secondary school name, with pride, glory and loyalty.

Similarly, same apply to RGS.
Majority of non-affliated RGS pupils come from RGPS, both GEP & Mainstream, although others come from other schools, scattered over Sg.
From young, RGPS emphasize a lot on being an all rounder. Sports CCA play a vital, important role. So, when these girls move onto RGS Secondary, naturally they are fiercely loyal to the name called Raffles, they will port over the similar primary school very strong traditional team building bonding spirit, into RGS Secondary. When parents & kids attend Rgs open house day, u can sense this very strong team spirit, in the air, when step into campus ground.

For NYGH / RGS Secondary :
Although student from any primary school who do well in Psle can enter, however, one can't deny that there is a pre-dominant school for each of them, from where the Sec 1 cohort come from.

In contrast, DHS, VJC :
Is there any pre-dominant primary school, from where majority of P6 students come from ? No, there isn't. Sec 1 intake pupils can come from various primary schools, in Sg.

there isn't any pre-dominant primary school for DHS / VJC from where majority of P6ers come from, although there are Geppers from Tao Nan primary, in Dunman High.

However, both these 2 schools are excellent schools, too.
The alumni inside Dunman High is very strongly bonded.
Salute Dunman high alumni spirit

NotEducatedMan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by NotEducatedMan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:50 am

Think dun have to crack your brain about the school ranking.

Just see the "final result" of Notable Alumni of Singapore coming from which Top Sec Schools. :lol:
http://www.edupoll.org/content/view/20/36/

takchek
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by takchek » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Mr Kiw, aka Qiu shen. Many generations of Dunmanians remember him. He was literally the guy who defined the students' love-hate relationship with Dunman High.