NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
57dolphin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: NUS High School Of Mathematics And Science [*IP]

Post by 57dolphin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:39 am

ksraja69 wrote:
petrichor wrote:
Karen21 wrote:Hi, My DD wants to transfer school to NUS High very badly. She is in Secondary 2 next year and enjoys math and science, but the problem is that her results in Sec 1 are not as high for a strong applicant for NUS high for a math and science school. Her PSLE scores are also quite average(241) with an A in math and science. Is there any way I can help her?? She seems very willing.. is it also possible if a non IP school girl get into NUS high as well? :xedfingers:
hi! i hv a few friends from non-IP schools that joined NUSH in yr3 and they are coping very well! the admission procedure is a written test followed by a selection interview so i would recommend that your child display her passion in math & science by taking part in olympiads/competitions to basically build up her portfolio.

in the event that she is accepted into NUSH, she will have to take bridging modules that teach the fundamentals and allow her to catch up with the school's syllabus (a strong foundation is needed because the gap between year 1/2 and 3 is quite large!). if these modules are managed well i think she will be able to cope with the transition!
Is there any Math / Science olympiad suitable for Sec1 students?
TIA
Can take AMC 8 ( American Mathematics Competition) and Singapore Maths Olympiad Junior Section. The Junior Sciences Olympiads could be demanding if students did not attend training classes.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by dagong99 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 am

Justdoit123 wrote:Just like to ask if on matriculation day, do majority of students really wear formal shirt with pant and tie or just a white round neck shirt plus any bermuda/jeans?
It's for photo taking for your Matriculation Card (Student Card), so upper body should be at least with the formal shirt & tie.

Musings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:23

Post by Musings » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 am

Hi can anyone advise the timing for the Astronomy Club CCA? Thanks in advance.

Karen21
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Karen21 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 am

Hi thank you all for the help:) really hope my daughters for the best :rahrah:

Diveraz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Diveraz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:58 am

Musings wrote:Hi can anyone advise the timing for the Astronomy Club CCA? Thanks in advance.
They will start at around 1830hrs and end at 2200hrs on Fridays only.

tankee
Site Admin
Total Likes:24

Post by tankee » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

7 new Sec 3 intake for 2018

Bluemood
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Bluemood » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks for info, do they also include the ASEAN scholars /medal winners ? Standard must be quite high for only 7, I guess...
Can anyone pls share if jacket is required ? I thot classrooms not airconditoned, so didnt pass one to DS today...but I realised tons of NUSH kids reported to sch with the sweater/jackets. Also should DS start hunting for lockers already ??
Thanks!

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by JR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am

Bluemood wrote:Can anyone pls share if jacket is required ? I thot classrooms not airconditoned, so didnt pass one to DS today...but I realised tons of NUSH kids reported to sch with the sweater/jackets. Also should DS start hunting for lockers already ??
Thanks!
Yes, some classsroooms are airconditioned. Jacket etc optional depending how well your kid can tolerate the cold. I suppose due to the rainy weather recently, parents get the kids to bring along their jacket just in case it gets too cold. Lockers will be available for every class, no need to hunt for it. Just get a padlock for the locker.

Justdoit123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Justdoit123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

I realized the year 1 classrooms mostly next to a cluster of aircon compressors and is super noisy. Next door is under construction too. Do your kids or past year students have any issue with the noise?

lucid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by lucid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Amazing effort and creativity for their orientation 2018.
https://youtu.be/S_AQi0Q16IQ

https://youtu.be/7Hae7i-nTfI