NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Ruhemut
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Post by Ruhemut » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi, all, I’d like to know about the grading system. Is an “A” Grade above 80 or 85? How about A* or A+? “ A-“ above 75?

abhcbl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by abhcbl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Ruhemut wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 pm
Hi, all, I’d like to know about the grading system. Is an “A” Grade above 80 or 85? How about A* or A+? “ A-“ above 75?
A- is 75, A is 80, and A+ is 85 and above.

Ruhemut
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Ruhemut » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:02 am

abhcbl wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm
Ruhemut wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 pm
A- is 75, A is 80, and A+ is 85 and above.
:thankyou:

calvinchua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by calvinchua » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 am

Dear All,
I would like to prepare my DS for DSA screening test in 2020. I understand that the screening test is way beyond the primary syllabus. Any suggested materials to practice? He is good with primary level science and maths, but beyond primary syllabus, I am not sure which material to choose?

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Current student here. For math, start with primary school math olympaid and read up on secondary 1 topics. For science, just read widely and also secondary 1 topics. No need to memorise but good to know. I am not very good myself with english so I cannot say anything about that.

kiasumom_616
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by kiasumom_616 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi,

what books, etc, do you recommend? DS is using Terry Chew's books for maths and Sec 1 science book to prepare.

He is very keen to get in but is not a GEP student.

Presently in P6. He can solve quadratic equations already but not always correct.

He read some books by Stefan Hoking but doesn't understand everything.

Kiasu Mom
Curioustudent wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 pm
Current student here. For math, start with primary school math olympaid and read up on secondary 1 topics. For science, just read widely and also secondary 1 topics. No need to memorise but good to know. I am not very good myself with english so I cannot say anything about that.

dyh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by dyh » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm

kiasumom_616 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm
Hi,

what books, etc, do you recommend? DS is using Terry Chew's books for maths and Sec 1 science book to prepare.

He is very keen to get in but is not a GEP student.

Presently in P6. He can solve quadratic equations already but not always correct.

He read some books by Stefan Hoking but doesn't understand everything.

Kiasu Mom
Curioustudent wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 pm
Don't worry about not being a GEP student.
NUSH does not give preferential treatment to GEP. Everyone is equal during the screening test.

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:49 am

For math, SMO and NMOS past year questions would be good practice. On a side note, quadratic equations can be solved using the quadratic formula which can be used for most questions at primary school level.

For science, just read up on secondary 1 topics mainly physics and chemistry. They will likely be testing for general knowledge and expect primary school science olympaid questions during the test.

If you make it through the test then you will be going for the camp. The camp is mostly lab-based practicals where they will observe how you perform certain experiments or present your results. It is pretty fun and it also determines whether you will be able to
1. Confirmed dsa without interview
2. Interview -> usually waiting list but since NUSH waiting list is very short compared to other school, you will still have a high chance of receiving confirmed dsa during release of PSLE result
3. Reject with no interview

And as the person above mentioned, NUSH rely solely on the test and camp to determine dsa success. They will not screen you based on the amount of olympaid medal you have or if you are in the gep program. However, people who have many olympaid achievements will be invited to Einstein program where they train students for international competitions and will obviously have confirmed dsa should they want to come to this school.

p1nk1e
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by p1nk1e » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Which secondary 1 textbook would you recommend if I were to go buy? Thanks!

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Textbook-wise I am not sure since personally I do not use textbooks. NMOS has a published solution book every year and for science, the list of topics that are tested are available on NUSH website.