NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Justdoit123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Post by Justdoit123 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Can I check if anyone know of any NUS High School student who is not eligible to even get into local uni like NUS/NTU? Is it true that before NUS open up registration to A level students, NUS high students has sort of priority to book a spot first? Anyone has past experience please share :thankyou:

dyh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by dyh » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Justdoit123 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm
Can I check if anyone know of any NUS High School student who is not eligible to even get into local uni like NUS/NTU? Is it true that before NUS open up registration to A level students, NUS high students has sort of priority to book a spot first? Anyone has past experience please share :thankyou:
Everything is still performance based. So if the NUSH student does not do well, they may not get a place in the course of their choice at NUS/ NTU.

If the performance is good, there is no need for the unis to wait for A level results, so yes, NUSH has the advantage in this case.

Justdoit123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Justdoit123 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:02 am

If say the kid end up getting GAP below pass 2.5, can they still get into ntu/nus even though they may not be able to choose their course of choice? And are there precedent cases of student who cannot graduate from nus high?

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:17 pm

You cannot get below 2.5 cap. If you get below 2.5 any year, you will be retained so there is no way your overall cap is 2.5.

EarthQuek
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by EarthQuek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 am

Curioustudent wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:17 pm
You cannot get below 2.5 cap. If you get below 2.5 any year, you will be retained so there is no way your overall cap is 2.5.
Hi Curioustudent, as a graduating student (you mentioned that you were in JC1 in 2019), it would be nice for you to share with us your roadmap for University Admission.

How did u plan ur portfolio, course selection, scholarship searches, etc, etc.
Rdgs :salute: :smile:

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Firstly take note of when university application dates, especially if you are aiming for overseas universities because some of them end really early, some of them as early as July. The school provides a list of alumni to answer our questions when in doubt. Take note that US universities are less focused on academics while UK universities only focuses on academics.

If you are aiming for overseas scholarship, sign up for SAT/AP tests early. AP tests can also be used to improve your portfolio if your grades in school are not as good as most of the students can get full marks in AP tests. Some of these AP modules are take in yr5. There are many leadership opportunities such as CCA, interest groups and student councils. From yr 5 onwards, usually 10 senior councils will be elected from voting. For the past 2 years there has only been 13 candidates each year so the chance of you succeeding is quite high. Leadership roles are not as important when entering universities as one may think but some scholarship needs them.

Scholarship are usually invited to present in career fair especially those from the army. This year’s career fair is probably disbanded because of the virus situation so students have to be more self-motivated to find them online and apply. Psc scholarship test was done 2 days before.

As for courses, open house this year was also cancelled because of the virus situation. Personally, I am still not sure what I would like to do in the future so I go about excluding courses that I know I would not enjoy. I went to open houses last year and have a vague idea of what course would be “better” for me and I can ask alumni for their feedback if I have questions.

Local universities do give a definite NUSH diploma grade they accept such as at least 4.0 in physics for engineering in NUS. However, it is more difficult for overseas universities as they may state good grades in physics etc. An added advantage of our school is that you can do NUS modules while in NUSH. For example, I did NUS year 1 math in year 5 so I have an advantage should I choose to go to NUS or other mathematics courses.

EarthQuek
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by EarthQuek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Curioustudent wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Local universities do give a definite NUSH diploma grade they accept such as at least 4.0 in physics for engineering in NUS. However, it is more difficult for overseas universities as they may state good grades in physics etc. An added advantage of our school is that you can do NUS modules while in NUSH. For example, I did NUS year 1 math in year 5 so I have an advantage should I choose to go to NUS or other mathematics courses.
Hi, that's a great sharing, thanks :smile:

So you are a mathematics genius :imcool: :imcool: :imcool: :imcool:
If u continue your academic journey with NUS after your NS, to meet the required modular credits, you can choose Yr2/3 Maths syllabus right?

Curioustudent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Curioustudent » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm

Yes, I am able to choose yr2 mathematics should I choose to pursue pure math in NUS. However, I will not be doing so since I feel that pure mathematics do not really have an application in the current era. There are some students that took yr 1 computer science in NUS this year and last year, these students will be directly admitted into computer science course in most universities which is now a course with a high demand. University credits can also be transferred between universities so you do not have to consider NUS as the only choice.

EarthQuek
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by EarthQuek » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 pm

Curioustudent wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm
Yes, I am able to choose yr2 mathematics should I choose to pursue pure math in NUS. However, I will not be doing so since I feel that pure mathematics do not really have an application in the current era. There are some students that took yr 1 computer science in NUS this year and last year, these students will be directly admitted into computer science course in most universities which is now a course with a high demand. University credits can also be transferred between universities so you do not have to consider NUS as the only choice.
Your response shows that you are someone who knows what you want to do and what you must do to stay competitive in the current working landscape.
Will definitely invite you to share your experience and opinion with students and parents when any appropriate opportunity arises.
All the best in whatever you are doing.
:celebrate: :celebrate:

petrichor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by petrichor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Curioustudent wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Firstly take note of when university application dates, especially if you are aiming for overseas universities because some of them end really early, some of them as early as July. The school provides a list of alumni to answer our questions when in doubt. Take note that US universities are less focused on academics while UK universities only focuses on academics.

If you are aiming for overseas scholarship, sign up for SAT/AP tests early. AP tests can also be used to improve your portfolio if your grades in school are not as good as most of the students can get full marks in AP tests. Some of these AP modules are take in yr5. There are many leadership opportunities such as CCA, interest groups and student councils. From yr 5 onwards, usually 10 senior councils will be elected from voting. For the past 2 years there has only been 13 candidates each year so the chance of you succeeding is quite high. Leadership roles are not as important when entering universities as one may think but some scholarship needs them.

Scholarship are usually invited to present in career fair especially those from the army. This year’s career fair is probably disbanded because of the virus situation so students have to be more self-motivated to find them online and apply. Psc scholarship test was done 2 days before.

As for courses, open house this year was also cancelled because of the virus situation. Personally, I am still not sure what I would like to do in the future so I go about excluding courses that I know I would not enjoy. I went to open houses last year and have a vague idea of what course would be “better” for me and I can ask alumni for their feedback if I have questions.

Alumni here. Just to clarify:

The more common overseas scholarship providers (e.g. government/PSC and organisations like CAG, MFA) do not really look at SAT/AP scores when shortlisting candidates. NUSH diploma grades and leadership/CCA/etc. are much more important. The SAT is useful mostly for admission (not scholarship!) to mid-tier US universities. Same goes for AP. Also note that SAT/AP scores are only valid for 5(?) years so you have to apply to uni within that time. NUS High will give you the chance to take 4-5 different AP exams (maths and sciences) across Year 5 and 6.

It is true that there is no definite gauge for admission to most universities via the NUSH Diploma (with the exception of NUS and NTU). But generally speaking, an overall CAP of 4.0 is sufficient for admission to local/UK/US universities that aren't Oxbridge/Ivy League (for non-Medicine/Dentistry/Law courses). I know seniors with ~4.0 CAP who are studying subjects like Biological Sciences/Geography/Business in US/UK/Australia.