Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Networking Group - JCs General

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Re: Networking Group - JCs General

Postby richardhu828 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 pm

phtthp wrote:Hi RichardHu,

As your case is unique, since your child had studied in a Polytechnic before, now want to come back join a Junior College, it is best to consult MOE for advice, those "burning" questions that you have.

You mentioned that u have written in to ask MOE, before. When MOE reply you, there is an Officer name, and department name, at bottom of your email reply.

Suggest that u give a call to this Officer who replied u, said u would like to follow up the matter with him / her, with a list of questions.

If this Officer fail to answer your qn, perhaps suggest ask him / her to direct u to the correct personnel, to answer your qn, regarding your chance of coming back, to resume JC education.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

I had written an email to one of the JC directly and not to MOE, the JC replied was quite general and said my son may apply through JAE-2018 by using SingPass after the GCE ‘O “ level result release in January 2018, the replied did not elaborate into more information about the details procedures.

For the impending 8 JCs merger COP question and I had downloaded the JAE-2018 booklet from MOE website and in there only a brief sentence mentioned the remaining JCs will be able to increase their intake and may result in an increase in cut-off points for participating JCs.

I will again try to contact the MOE customer services hot-line to enquire for more details of these questions, meanwhile I would be grateful if any parents in KSP with the similar experiences can help to share your views and advices.

Thank you and Best Regards.

richardhu828
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 pm

richardhu828 wrote:JAE-2018 Application Questions

Hi, Good day, I am new here and I would like to seek some advice for the JAE 2018 related questions and hope to hear from anyone for some good suggestions.

My son is currently studying in one at xxx polytechnic course and he is facing some challenges and trying to cope with the project-mates which are not very corporate at all, he had already tried to endure for some times and explored with many other options but to unavil, as such he has also loss the interests for the course and now he has decided to withdraw from the poly course and would like to re-apply JC in the coming JAE 2018 which he has intend to re-adjust himself for the next learning journey, kindly I would like to ask some of the questions and hope anyone has some similar experiences can share for a reference :

1. What is Best Avenue for the JAE-2018 application which my understanding this is only open early next month after the 2017 GCE “O” results to be released?
2. I had read the JAE-2018 booklet application flow chart shown that the eligibility is all SG citizen with any year GCE “O” exam result can participate but it also said that “except those who have been successfully admitted to a school Junior College (JC) / Polytechnic through the Direct School Admissions (DAE)…”, as my son went thro’ the JAE once for the poly course and he should be able to apply?
3. In this case the JAE-2018 application he can only use the SingPass account ID to log-in for the JAE portal? As of now the JAE-2018 portal is still not open and cannot access to see for any instructions flow…
4. Will he be at any dis-advantage for the coming JAE exercise whereby he currently already in the Polytechnic course?
5. One other concern I have is with the impending merger of 8 JC which it may results of reduce or decrease in JC students’ in-take and a possibility of affected merger JCs Cut-Off-Points be further reduce (or increase for some JCs)?

I would very much appreciate for anyone’s good suggestion and thank you.

Best Regards.

With regards to your question number 5, MOE said that all students that are eligible for JCs will have a place in JC. They will increase existing JCs' intake. You can read this http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/ri-and-other-jcs-may-take-in-more-students-next-year

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:47 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
richardhu828 wrote:My son is currently studying in one at xxx polytechnic course and he is facing some challenges and trying to cope with the project-mates which are not very corporate at all, he had already tried to endure for some times and explored with many other options but to unavil, as such he has also loss the interests for the course and now he has decided to withdraw from the poly course and would like to re-apply JC in the coming JAE 2018 which he has intend to re-adjust himself for the next learning journey, kindly I would like to ask some of the questions and hope anyone has some similar experiences can share for a reference :

With regards to your question number 5, MOE said that all students that are eligible for JCs will have a place in JC. They will increase existing JCs' intake. You can read this [url]http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/ri-and-other-jcs-may-take-in-more-students-next-year
[/url]

Interesting.
What happen if he faces similar project mates in JC?
And...
In University?

In any case, your son is eligible and can apply via the normal JAE flow to JC, and be subjected to the same (i.e. this year's) COP criteria.

As for the number of JC places, if you put MOE statement's and the press release together, it simply means overall JC places will decrease (as a reflection of the demand / supply of kids wanting to apply for JC). There shouldn't be any impact as there will be a JC available for anyone who is eligible (< 20 points) and wants to apply - as is the case today with 1 or 2 JC having COP of 20 points. Overall, I also doubt the COP will change by much.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby richardhu828 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi slmkhoo,

Thanks again and I’m sorry to miss your reply.
No problem for can’t help on COPs and I do understand this is a difficult question and perhaps only MOE can do an estimate.

I will try to contact MOE customer services hotline again and update in here later.

Best Regards.

slmkhoo wrote:
richardhu828 wrote:Hi, Thanks and I am new still trying to navigate KSP platform for a similar topic but still yet to find one as this website has a large amount of useful contents and I’ll need some times to understand…for example, I am trying to find a way to click a like for your reply...

My immediate concerns and worries are as below:
1. My son eligibility and he can get back to JAE-2018 system for a JC re-application, I had read the JAE-2018 booklet from MOE website and the flow-chart shown he can log-in through SingPass to get a Pin-Code to apply, for this we would like to reconfirm, if parents in KSP already gotten their child done this before, we would very much appreciate a kind help to share with us, as I think for students switched from JC to poly will be just a direct DAE application route due to all Poly new term starts are later than JC.

2. He plan to apply for a JC near home in West area, but PJC and JJC will be merged and JJC will stop the in-take soon, hence this will be 2 choices being removed where the new COP is in the range of 12 to 15 for Science & 13 to 15 for Art, as he got a 14 points in his last GCE "O" level exam, I do understand at this point in time, it seem MOE still with no guideline or new reference on the 4 x JC pair new COP and we can only assume or essentially the next students in-take will be increased, as you’ve mentioned the COPs are decided by demand and supply and only time will tell.

*This is extract form the JAE-2018 Booklet page 98 said: “With the upcoming merger of four pairs of JCs, the remaining JCs will be able to increase their intake of students in the 2018 JAE. This may result in an increase in cut-off points for participating JCs in the 2018 JAE. Such variations do not reflect the quality of the JCs or their programmes….

For this my own interpretation of the above sentence; “ the remaining JCs will be able to increase their intake of students…” is meant to refer the remaining JCs of the 4 Pairs merger ? Or does it mean the other non-affected will also increase student’s in-take? Perhaps my interpretation may be not correct?

3. As for more specific issues of concern I can think of now is his NS deferment which I will have to call MIDEF hotline to enquire further.

As you’ve also mentioned and offer some advises of your daughter’s experience on Poly to JC transition and I would very much appreciate to hear from your for any good suggestions or some good important pointers to take note before my son be accepted by the JC.

Thanking you again for your time for reading and reply my questions, with my warmest regards to you and all your family members.

Can't help you forecasting COPs, or on the online application procedure. For application, it's best to check with MOE. My daughter was in MI, which is a slower pace than a JC, then went to poly. The main difference between poly and MI, as far as she noted, was that the A level programme was more academic and less hands-on.

richardhu828
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby richardhu828 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
richardhu828 wrote:JAE-2018 Application Questions

Hi, Good day, I am new here and I would like to seek some advice for the JAE 2018 related questions and hope to hear from anyone for some good suggestions.

My son is currently studying in one at xxx polytechnic course and he is facing some challenges and trying to cope with the project-mates which are not very corporate at all, he had already tried to endure for some times and explored with many other options but to unavil, as such he has also loss the interests for the course and now he has decided to withdraw from the poly course and would like to re-apply JC in the coming JAE 2018 which he has intend to re-adjust himself for the next learning journey, kindly I would like to ask some of the questions and hope anyone has some similar experiences can share for a reference :

1. What is Best Avenue for the JAE-2018 application which my understanding this is only open early next month after the 2017 GCE “O” results to be released?
2. I had read the JAE-2018 booklet application flow chart shown that the eligibility is all SG citizen with any year GCE “O” exam result can participate but it also said that “except those who have been successfully admitted to a school Junior College (JC) / Polytechnic through the Direct School Admissions (DAE)…”, as my son went thro’ the JAE once for the poly course and he should be able to apply?
3. In this case the JAE-2018 application he can only use the SingPass account ID to log-in for the JAE portal? As of now the JAE-2018 portal is still not open and cannot access to see for any instructions flow…
4. Will he be at any dis-advantage for the coming JAE exercise whereby he currently already in the Polytechnic course?
5. One other concern I have is with the impending merger of 8 JC which it may results of reduce or decrease in JC students’ in-take and a possibility of affected merger JCs Cut-Off-Points be further reduce (or increase for some JCs)?

I would very much appreciate for anyone’s good suggestion and thank you.

Best Regards.

With regards to your question number 5, MOE said that all students that are eligible for JCs will have a place in JC. They will increase existing JCs' intake. You can read this http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/ri-and-other-jcs-may-take-in-more-students-next-year

Hi ngl2010,

Many thanks for your reply and sharing of ST news article.

I had noticed in the article mentioned that MOE said that with a smaller number of JCs for O-level students to choose from, the remaining JCs “may have to expand their intakes” and given the assurance that every student who qualifies for JC admission will have a place, however, one example cited for Anderson JC “may take in 800 to 850 students”, instead of the current 750, for a simple calculation the net increase of 50 to 100 for the 4 pairs of affected merger JCs will be around 200 to 400, I suppose these numbers maybe still smaller than the 4 affected JCs current total students in-takes? (*this is just my own guess…).

I will again try to contact the MOE customer services hot-line to enquire for more detail information.
Best Regards.

richardhu828
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby NotEducatedMan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:22 pm

floppy wrote:There shouldn't be any impact as there will be a JC available for anyone who is eligible (< 20 points) and wants to apply - as is the case today with 1 or 2 JC having COP of 20 points. Overall, I also doubt the COP will change by much.

I think the biggest change in COP affect mostly the merging/lower tier JCs.

Currently the last 2 JCs - YJC & IJC with the COP of 17 & 20 points respectively.
After merger of both JC, let's say eventually YJC became the last JC with the COP of 20 points. So that's an increase of 3 points.
And let's say PJC will be the next JC to "cover the gap" from 13 to 15 or even 16.. then follow by MJC and so on.

As for mid-tier JCs, the most increase by 1 COP point, provided they increase their intake.

Just my guessing only

NotEducatedMan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby floppy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm

NotEducatedMan wrote:
floppy wrote:There shouldn't be any impact as there will be a JC available for anyone who is eligible (< 20 points) and wants to apply - as is the case today with 1 or 2 JC having COP of 20 points. Overall, I also doubt the COP will change by much.

I think the biggest change in COP affect mostly the merging/lower tier JCs.

Currently the last 2 JCs - YJC & IJC with the COP of 17 & 20 points respectively.
After merger of both JC, let's say eventually YJC became the last JC with the COP of 20 points. So that's an increase of 3 points.
And let's say PJC will be the next JC to "cover the gap" from 13 to 15 or even 16.. then follow by MJC and so on.

As for mid-tier JCs, the most increase by 1 COP point, provided they increase their intake.

Just my guessing only

Well, I am guessing along the same line as well.
Everyone wants to be the hero with the big stick, but somebody has to play the role of cannon fodder. It's now back to YJC turn.
Last edited by floppy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

richardhu828 wrote:
Hi ngl2010,

Many thanks for your reply and sharing of ST news article.

I had noticed in the article mentioned that MOE said that with a smaller number of JCs for O-level students to choose from, the remaining JCs “may have to expand their intakes” and given the assurance that every student who qualifies for JC admission will have a place, however, one example cited for Anderson JC “may take in 800 to 850 students”, instead of the current 750, for a simple calculation the net increase of 50 to 100 for the 4 pairs of affected merger JCs will be around 200 to 400, I suppose these numbers maybe still smaller than the 4 affected JCs current total students in-takes? (*this is just my own guess…).

I will again try to contact the MOE customer services hot-line to enquire for more detail information.
Best Regards.

The article also said that the IP JCs will increase their intake. So, if each JC (IP and not IP) increase their intake by 50-100 students, I am sure it will be enough to cover the 4 JCs that will stop taking in new students.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ksptan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:11 pm

MOE stated that the merge takes place in year 2019, but it is affecting this year Olevel students as the 4 JCs stop taking in new students.

With the teachers and resources still at the 4 JCs, how are the JCs going to cater the resources due to the increase of students?

Ksptan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Ksptan wrote:MOE stated that the merge takes place in year 2019, but it is affecting this year Olevel students as the 4 JCs stop taking in new students.

With the teachers and resources still at the 4 JCs, how are the JCs going to cater the resources due to the increase of students?

It's a pity for those caught in this changeover period. I guess a good no. of teachers will transfer out to the other JCs in 2018 as they won't need as many with no JC1 students.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres