Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

NUS / NTU medicine application 2018/2019

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Re: NUS / NTU medicine application 2018/2019

Postby zac's mum » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Just throwing out a wild guess, but I would think that NUS High kids are more inclined to apply for Engineering. That’s where Math and Physics-inclined people apply to :siam:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Yes, last time even before NTU (LKC) came into existence (being), with only YLL existing back then as the only medical school years ago, the bulk (majority) of medic students admitted (enrolment) came from RI (#1 spot), followed by Hwa Chong (#2 spot), with the rest come from the various remaining Junior Colleges, two IB schools (ACSI, SJI IB), five polytechnic (Singapore, Ngee Ann, Nanyang, Temasek, Republic) and NUS High (not many, got admitted)

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gardenia64 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm

As long as the students grant for interviews, they will base on the interview results to offer the place regardless A level or IB, I think.
ACSI has more students enrolled into NUS medicine and dentistry.

gardenia64
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby gardenia64 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm

How to choose the IB subjects if u want to apply nus/ntu medicine ?

gardenia64
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RoastChickenDance » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Event- So You Want To Be A Doctor? 2019 Edition
https://doctalks2019.peatix.com/

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Poly grad overcomes early struggles, feeling of inferiority to enter medical school.

Mr Jacky Chun, 21, who is in his first year at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine of the National University of Singapore (NUS), regrets playing games instead of studying while in primary school.

As a result, he lagged behind his peers after ending up in the Normal Academic stream in secondary school.

But he started to buck up in Secondary 2 when his family faced financial woes after his mother, the sole breadwinner, was retrenched. His father is a house-husband.

"I remember seeing my mum upset," Mr Chun told The New Paper.

"It was a tough time, and I realised I needed to do well in school so that I could support my family in the future."

His hard work paid off when he scored an ELMAB3 aggregate of 5 in the N-level exams.

Mr Chun entered Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) through the Polytechnic Foundation Programme and took up a biomedical science diploma course.

In poly, he felt inferior as most of his classmates were from the express stream and had better academic backgrounds.

"But I realised it was more important to focus on myself."

When a relative with severe anaemia was admitted to hospital, he was able to reassure her with his medical knowledge.

Mr Chun knew then that medicine was his calling. "Realising I could make a difference in someone's life, I was inspired to pursue medicine," he said.

He graduated from NP last May with a GPA of 3.96 and was in the top 10 per cent of his cohort.

Despite knowing how tough it would be, Mr Chun applied to NUS and was accepted.

While he still feels inferior at times, he said: "I feel thankful every day to be in the school and I think it is important to believe in yourself, set a goal and pursue it without giving up."

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/poly- ... cal-school

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm

iFirefly wrote:Poly grad overcomes early struggles, feeling of inferiority to enter medical school.

Mr Jacky Chun, 21, who is in his first year at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine of the National University of Singapore (NUS), regrets playing games instead of studying while in primary school.

As a result, he lagged behind his peers after ending up in the Normal Academic stream in secondary school.

But he started to buck up in Secondary 2 when his family faced financial woes after his mother, the sole breadwinner, was retrenched. His father is a house-husband.

"I remember seeing my mum upset," Mr Chun told The New Paper.

"It was a tough time, and I realised I needed to do well in school so that I could support my family in the future."

His hard work paid off when he scored an ELMAB3 aggregate of 5 in the N-level exams.

Mr Chun entered Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) through the Polytechnic Foundation Programme and took up a biomedical science diploma course.

In poly, he felt inferior as most of his classmates were from the express stream and had better academic backgrounds.

"But I realised it was more important to focus on myself."

When a relative with severe anaemia was admitted to hospital, he was able to reassure her with his medical knowledge.

Mr Chun knew then that medicine was his calling. "Realising I could make a difference in someone's life, I was inspired to pursue medicine," he said.

He graduated from NP last May with a GPA of 3.96 and was in the top 10 per cent of his cohort.

Despite knowing how tough it would be, Mr Chun applied to NUS and was accepted.

While he still feels inferior at times, he said: "I feel thankful every day to be in the school and I think it is important to believe in yourself, set a goal and pursue it without giving up."

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/poly- ... cal-school

This is very encouraging. Jacky had rose fr the lotus pond thro self-motivation & hardwork, shoeing it’s never too late to taste success one one puts in hard work. In fact, he shld be proud of himself having caught up & not feel small or ashamed. The past has passed. What is impt is to live the moment & know what is meaningful for your life & where you’re heading as goal.

Thank you for sharing iFirefly! :thankyou:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres