PhD and Girls

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Postby tankee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Not that I am against girls getting their PHD, but it is a fact that they will have lesser choice of ideal spouse.

And 10 years in Europe? you might ends up like SM Goh.

:D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 am

what is wrong with PhD girl marrying a man with "lesser" academic degree ?

it is all mindset and "hang up" and upbringing.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 am

insider wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:what is wrong with PhD girl marrying a man with "lesser" academic degree ?

it is all mindset and "hang up" and upbringing.

My take is not so much for the PhD girls but men who may have ego big enough not to be 'smaller' than the spouse. Analogy here would be a tall girl may not mind to marry a man shorter than her but then the man may feel 'small' when going out (长短脚之恋do happen but with smaller probability...)

my girl friend has PhD and is taller than her husband and they have a most loving and happy family. we as their friends don't see any issue at all

it is all mindset and hang up and upbringing == both man and woman
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:36 am

I think it's not a problem. Don't know that many Phd women but the few I knew are all happily married, having found their partners during their pursuit for education - their partners are not neccessary PHD men either :) Not sure if IT Phd is different. The people I know is from Bio Med /Psy related fields

On the mindset part/"man may feel 'small' when going out" (...I think it all depends on the Yuan Fen and how the couple work things out ...

On the spouse part....personally, I think that a girl studying in a place of higher education have an equal chance of finding a nice partner compare to one who is working 12 hours in a typical company in Singapore.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 pm

hi insider,

My friend took phd in a top university in europe. it was during that time she met her hubby to be (doing degree). So if she hadn't gone, she may not have met her hubby.

My take is that Phd applies more for those scientific or educational fields, whereas in most other industries (finance etc) bachelors or masters will be enough. In my friend's case, they work in different fields so there shouldn't be any basis to compare.

Most important is your child's interest. If she is keen in biomed for instance, then phd will give her the wings to soar and fly. Take it as it comes, and don't think so hard lah. :wink:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 pm

mintcc wrote:....
On the spouse part....personally, I think that a girl studying in a place of higher education have an equal chance of finding a nice partner compare to one who is working 12 hours in a typical company in Singapore.

Provided she is not cramming 12 hours a day in some labs or library.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm

tankee wrote:

labs/library also got cute guys lah.... :wink:

plus there will be plenty opportunities in the dorm/house games (whatever they have) etc.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:57 pm

insider wrote:
hquek wrote:Take it as it comes, and don't think so hard lah. :wink:

Hahaha...being a mum is more or less like dat lah.

True lah. I think what's most impt is her interest. My friend's case was very clear cut - she had a talent in a specific field; and in that field PHD definitely very very useful. She did her degree in SG, and then followed up with the PHD overseas.

During her time, she was pondering if to go becos this meant financial strain and her income generating ability will be pushed back for some years. I don't really think getting a bf/hubby was on top of her list - but she heng lah...got a good looking AND smart hubby.

I think you are very good mother - in that you will let her be independent and yet be a source of strength and inspiration. It will not be easy to adjust to life alone outside but yet the lure of being independent and being in such a region seems very seductive.

Come what may, all the best to your gal!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:09 pm

hquek wrote:
tankee wrote:

plus there will be plenty opportunities in the dorm/house games (whatever they have) etc.

then same argument will apply to office. there are cute guys in workplace or through business engagement too.

:wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:14 pm

tankee wrote:
hquek wrote:

then same argument will apply to office. there are cute guys in workplace or through business engagement too.

:wink:

Not in MY office.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees