ECON IN JC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

ECON IN JC

Postby cheese » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 pm

ECON is a totally new subject to a JC student. Can anyone share how to do well in this subject? Does tuition help ?Any good recommendation of books or tuition centre?

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby kiasu_mum75 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:13 am

econs is totally new.. so everyone starts from fair level ...i.e. starts from scratch.. u need to be able to write lengthy essays... it's not pure memory..because u need to know the structure and how to answer what the question is asking for...look for a tutor if u need help... i think there's the straits times top 5 super tutor who teaches econs... can't remember his name.. .look at my other post for the number if u wish..

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cheese » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:34 pm

kiasu_mum75 wrote:econs is totally new.. so everyone starts from fair level ...i.e. starts from scratch.. u need to be able to write lengthy essays... it's not pure memory..because u need to know the structure and how to answer what the question is asking for...look for a tutor if u need help... i think there's the straits times top 5 super tutor who teaches econs... can't remember his name.. .look at my other post for the number if u wish..


Tks "kiasu_mum75".

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: ECON IN JC

Postby cheese » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 pm

insider wrote:
cheese wrote:ECON is a totally new subject to a JC student. Can anyone share how to do well in this subject? Does tuition help ?Any good recommendation of books or tuition centre?


If your child has a logical mind and can write reasonably well, econ is not a difficult subject at all. I aced the subject even though I skipped more than 90% of the econ lectures (coz the lecturer was such a super boring one), meaning it is a subject that can be self-studied if want to.


Tks insider

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Distinction Rate for A level Economics

Postby strawberry_mama » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Economics examination getting more and more challenging. The national distinction for the subject is very low, i think about 20 something percent only. So i think tuition is neccessary to help to score for the subject.

strawberry_mama
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: ECON IN JC

Postby hometutors.sg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:34 pm

cheese wrote:ECON is a totally new subject to a JC student. Can anyone share how to do well in this subject? Does tuition help ?Any good recommendation of books or tuition centre?


Many students have problems with econs. However often they are unable to get individual help from the JC teacher as the Teacher is very busy.

Definitely worth investing in tuition if you are struggling badly.

hometutors.sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby tankee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm

i was new to econ when I took it in university. I was doing very badly initially, then through study group I managed to catch up and did well subsequently. important thing is to understand the concept and apply it in the arguments.

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: ECON IN JC

Postby meinteel » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Hey Cheese! Want to know the best way to improve your economics without having to spend lots of money on tuition?

Argue with your college tutor, classmates, and economics mates. Also discuss economic concepts in application to recent happens around the world and share pointview. This is what my college tutor told us. Not only is it interesting, it open up lots of different viewpoint and logical arugments that may be used in examinations.

Also, write and re-write your economics essay and get it edited by your friends and your college's economics tutor. My lecturer use to tell us, "I can make you re-write your essay 10 times and it won't be good enough." Write your essays every week and keep reading up, soon you will write like an economist.

You may want to try reading John Solman's books. There are two version, both are very good but it is pretty dry and most students like myself won't finish it.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: ECON IN JC

Postby hometutors.sg » Mon May 16, 2011 12:55 pm

If you are struggling, say spending one whole day on a question, most likely you need help.

Nowadays having B grades will not give you much chances into popular courses lke Law, business, accountancy ...

And if one does not do well in his/her A level, he will need to spend more than $30-50k to study in private Uni.

Few months tuition fees really wont cost that much.

hometutors.sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: ECON IN JC

Postby cheese » Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Thks!

meinteel wrote:Hey Cheese! Want to know the best way to improve your economics without having to spend lots of money on tuition?

Argue with your college tutor, classmates, and economics mates. Also discuss economic concepts in application to recent happens around the world and share pointview. This is what my college tutor told us. Not only is it interesting, it open up lots of different viewpoint and logical arugments that may be used in examinations.

Also, write and re-write your economics essay and get it edited by your friends and your college's economics tutor. My lecturer use to tell us, "I can make you re-write your essay 10 times and it won't be good enough." Write your essays every week and keep reading up, soon you will write like an economist.

You may want to try reading John Solman's books. There are two version, both are very good but it is pretty dry and most students like myself won't finish it.

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees