Selecting a Junior College

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Selecting a Junior College

Postby yaksheng » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi Parents! I'm a student who has got 8 points for his O Levels after deductions. Is it possible if you could help me out on making a choice between these schools? If you're a student from these schools, please do tell me more about your school likewise in aspects like culture, academics and opportunities for the future.

- National JC (5) vs Temasek JC (6)
- Catholic JC (10) vs St. Andrew's JC (9)
- St. Andrew's JC (10) vs Anderson JC (8)
- Temasek JC (6) vs Anglo Chinese JC (7)
- Nanyang JC (10) vs Catholic JC (10)

(Brackets denotes the net aggregate score in entering the JC, sourced from JAE 2011)

Thanks!
yaksheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Picking the Right JC

Postby phankao » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:39 pm

yaksheng wrote:Hi Parents! I'm a student who has got 8 points for his O Levels after deductions. Is it possible if you could help me out on making a choice between these schools? If you're a student from these schools, please do tell me more about your school likewise in aspects like culture, academics and opportunities for the future.

(Brackets denotes the net aggregate score in entering the JC, sourced from JAE 2011)

Thanks!

How about Anderson JC?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am

What course do you intend to take and what do you want to work as after you graduated?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby koguma » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm

yaksheng wrote:Hi Parents! I'm a student who has got 8 points for his O Levels after deductions. Is it possible if you could help me out on making a choice between these schools? If you're a student from these schools, please do tell me more about your school likewise in aspects like culture, academics and opportunities for the future.

Thanks!

My thought.

Firstly, you must know what subjects you want to do in JC. You should find a JC which allows you to do the subjects combination you want. What is the point of going to a top JC but you cannot study the subjects you like?

Also, different JCs have different criteria when come to subject combinations. Eg. If you only do combined Science, some JCs do not allow you to do 2 H2 Science subjects. However other JCs may allow you to do so.

Similarily, if you did not do A Maths or fail A Maths, some JCs do not allow you to do H2 Maths.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm

koguma wrote:

Thanks!

My thought.

Firstly, you must know what subjects you want to do in JC. You should find a JC which allows you to do the subjects combination you want. What is the point of going to a top JC but you cannot study the subjects you like?

Also, different JCs have different criteria when come to subject combinations. Eg. If you only do combined Science, some JCs do not allow you to do 2 H2 Science subjects. However other JCs may allow you to do so.

Similarily, if you did not do A Maths or fail A Maths, some JCs do not allow you to do H2 Maths.

This is a value posting!

If i may add, for combine science students, they must scored an A1 in this subject and generally, they are allowed to do max 1 pure science. Regarding H2 maths, most jcs would not allow non-add maths students to take it, however, there are few that allow if candiates passed the admission test.

All in all, for candiates that took both combined science and 1 math(E) subjects, they are advised to head for poly education.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Which JC?

Postby concerned mom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi my DD obtained nett 7 points ( after deducting bonus points)
WOuld appreciate advice on the culture and environment of the following JCs and another has stats of the no of H2distinctions in these JCs?

ACJC
MJC (meridian)
AJC (Anderson)
SAJC ( St Andrew's)
TJC is top choice but may not meet COP or maybe borderline. ALso if 2 students same nett L1R5 is raw score the determinent? or choice? thanks

concerned mom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Which JC?

Postby yaksheng » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

concerned mom wrote:Hi my DD obtained nett 7 points ( after deducting bonus points)
WOuld appreciate advice on the culture and environment of the following JCs and another has stats of the no of H2distinctions in these JCs?

ACJC
MJC (meridian)
AJC (Anderson)
SAJC ( St Andrew's)
TJC is top choice but may not meet COP or maybe borderline. ALso if 2 students same nett L1R5 is raw score the determinent? or choice? thanks

Personally, I am taking Pure Physics, Pure Chemistry and A Maths, on top of the other usual subjects.

I am thinking of taking the classical "PCME" - Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Econs at H2 Level. Physics was A2, Chemistry was B3 and A Maths was B2.

Apologies for not being precise with words! Besides, if possible, is there any place to get stats of the JC, since MOE has stopped publishing figures since 2004.

Thanks!
yaksheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby yaksheng » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:29 pm

phankao wrote:

Thanks!

How about Anderson JC?

Anderson seems to be good, though I haven't visited it as of today - open house starts on 12/1. How's the culture and performance of the school?

Thanks!
yaksheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Which JC?

Postby INNOVATE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:39 pm

concerned mom wrote:Hi my DD obtained nett 7 points ( after deducting bonus points)

ACJC
MJC (meridian)
AJC (Anderson)
SAJC ( St Andrew's)

Need her proposed subject combination and your location before any advice can be given.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:50 pm

yaksheng wrote:
phankao wrote:

Thanks!

How about Anderson JC?

Anderson seems to be good, though I haven't visited it as of today - open house starts on 12/1. How's the culture and performance of the school?

Thanks!

You are eligible to offer 3H2 + 1H1 base on your nett of 8 points.

Phankao is right on this occassion. If distance and facilities are not an issue, Anderson wins hands down. The school is well-known for its science courses in particular math and physics. For details go to their open house.

Btw, ACJC. Anderson JC and Meridian JC are the top second tier jcs.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees