ACSI or NJC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

ACSI or NJC

Postby hesiew » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

My girl raw score 7 & net score 5 is thinking of ACSI or NJC both with cop of 5. Any advice on IB Dip vs GCE A level? What's the ratio of boys vs girls intake for a cohort in ACSI? It seems there's no open hse for ACSI, any reason why? Can anyone share your views on the culture & results of the 2 schools? Thank you very much

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: ACSI or NJC

Postby autolycus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

hesiew wrote:My girl raw score 7 & net score 5 is thinking of ACSI or NJC both with cop of 5. Any advice on IB Dip vs GCE A level? What's the ratio of boys vs girls intake for a cohort in ACSI? It seems there's no open hse for ACSI, any reason why? Can anyone share your views on the culture & results of the 2 schools? Thank you very much

1. The IB Diploma is a curriculum which stresses thinking based on fundamentals, a broad education, and work spread across a longer period of time. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will find a paper on IBDP and TSLN which is of local relevance.

2. The ratio of boys vs girls can be as high as 3:1; in the past, even higher. This is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

3. ACS(I) does have an open house in the year before admission. It doesn't have one early in the year simply because ACS(I) knows it will have more applicants than it can handle, since they try to cap the admission. However note that the admission cap has gone up from about 360 in 2006 to about 450+ this year. It was originally supposed to be 120 as predicted in 2003.

4. ACS(I) has a long cultural history and tradition dating back to 1886. If you go back to the earlier link and download the paper on 'The Proxy Arena', you might find some interesting stuff there... Strictly speaking, the results are not comparable: ACS(I) has never been an A-level institution, and NJC's very brief experiment with the IB (decades ago!) did not last. However ACS(I) does produce good results with an examination that is taken worldwide, unlike the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level exams (although our A-levels are considered one of the top 3 toughest A-level examinations).

Have fun! Both schools are good institutions.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hesiew » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks Autolycus, for the details shared. Now my dd is having 2nd thought about ACSI cos the English A1 subject seems to involve at least 13 literature texts. She is not keen on literature & did not take lit in Olevel. Moreover her EL scored A2 that's why she's got 7. Maybe Alevel is a better choice for her. Opinion/advice anyone?

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm

hesiew wrote:Thanks Autolycus, for the details shared. Now my dd is having 2nd thought about ACSI cos the English A1 subject seems to involve at least 13 literature texts. She is not keen on literature & did not take lit in Olevel. Moreover her EL scored A2 that's why she's got 7. Maybe Alevel is a better choice for her. Opinion/advice anyone?

Her lack of interest rather than inability in eng literaure is indeed a main consideration notwithstanding the fact that ACSI is producing top IB results.

In this instance, you also need to consider that your dd just meet the partial cop for NJC arts. Those students with raw of 9-4 and 8-3 have higher priorities.

You need to excercise your next choice wisely.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

hesiew wrote:Thanks Autolycus, for the details shared. Now my dd is having 2nd thought about ACSI cos the English A1 subject seems to involve at least 13 literature texts. She is not keen on literature & did not take lit in Olevel. Moreover her EL scored A2 that's why she's got 7. Maybe Alevel is a better choice for her. Opinion/advice anyone?

It's always good to play towards your children's strengths. In this case, perhaps she should do A-levels so that she can avoid the difficulty of doing a subject she has no fondness for.

On the other hand (and here, I'm just offering an idea), sometimes it is good to try new things out for long term gains. There's this guy I know who was the only science student in a family of Lit and History grads. Now he can teach science — as well as Lit and History. Quite in-demand.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hesiew » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks Innovate and Autolycus. Innovate, why 9-4 has a higher chance than 7-2, since both are net 7? Do you mean those with HMT stand has an advantage over those without? I thought it should be the reverse. Autolycus, I do agree that nothing is impossible, advised her and she'll make final choice. Of course, we'll make 2nd & 3rd choice very carefully.

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Concernedparents » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

autolycus wrote:

It's always good to play towards your children's strengths. In this case, perhaps she should do A-levels so that she can avoid the difficulty of doing a subject she has no fondness for.

On the other hand (and here, I'm just offering an idea), sometimes it is good to try new things out for long term gains. There's this guy I know who was the only science student in a family of Lit and History grads. Now he can teach science — as well as Lit and History. Quite in-demand.

The other difference between ACSI and NJC is the physical environment. ASCI school fee per mth I believe is $400 while NJC's is about $ 30 ( around there). I hear the facility in NJC is pretty basic while ACSI has air conditioned classrooms and even air conditioned canteen for students.

Concernedparents
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 am

hesiew wrote:Thanks Innovate and Autolycus. Innovate, why 9-4 has a higher chance than 7-2, since both are net 7? Do you mean those with HMT stand has an advantage over those without? I thought it should be the reverse. Autolycus, I do agree that nothing is impossible, advised her and she'll make final choice. Of course, we'll make 2nd & 3rd choice very carefully.

When competing students have identical nett score, for jae, the ones with the most bonus points take priorities. Is never base on who's got the best raw score.

This is all based on a more holistic education, encompassing not just HMT but cca records too.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Posting criteria

Postby Sunny Lei » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:38 am

It is rather interesting to hear the bonus point will be considered in the event when the net L1R5 are similar. I have rung up MOE this morning to clarify some questions and thought it may be good info to share.

Student Zac (with 9-2= 7) chooses JC A as choice #2 and
Student Sam (with 11-4= 7) chooses JC A as choice #1 and
Student Marc (with 9-0 = 9) chooses JC A as choice #1

Who will be admitted to JC A if Zac is not successful with his choice #1.

Answer provided by the MOE: It will be Zac and Sam and next criteria will be 'citizenship'. If both are Singaporean, it will be computerised-selection but is it not based on the bonus points or gross L1R5!

I am done with JAE selection and we are eager to receive the result posting.

[/b]

Sunny Lei
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hesiew » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks all, very useful info. Looks like both institutions intake about 400 students this year. Any idea which school will have more applications n number of successful appeals, historically? Just want to know my dd chances.

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees