release of 2010 O level results (8-4 points)

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

VJC/NJC/TJC?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 pm

NJC
1
25%
VJC
3
75%
TJC
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 4

release of 2010 O level results (8-4 points)

Postby kkl1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:38 pm

my daughter got 4 points after deduction. (8-4) which jc do you guys think is better? VJ/TJ/NJ? can you provide more information on these schools like their culture and academic results? thank you.

kkl1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: release of 2010 O level results (8-4 points)

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

kkl1234 wrote:my daughter got 4 points after deduction. (8-4) which jc do you guys think is better? VJ/TJ/NJ? can you provide more information on these schools like their culture and academic results? thank you.



Two of your favourite jcs are in the east namely, VJC and Temasek. The other is located at Bukit Timah. So in deciding which jc to place as top choice is btw VJC vs NJC thus depending on your location primary and than school's culture as secondary. All three are considered top tier jcs abeit they formed the lower percentile, so peformance wise is VJC=NJC=>TJC.

VJC is well-known to be lively vs NJC. Academically, they are on par with both exceling in science courses. Both institutions have rigorous programmes to prepare their students for the A-level examination. VJC's uniform looks cool compare to NJC. It does not mean that NJC is purely a muggers' school. Both have their share of muggers as well as fun people. It all depends which group your kid mixes with. Its just that VJC is considered more cool by many.

You should choose either VJC or NJC as your top choice depending primarily on location and place Temasek JC as the second choice.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby kkl1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm

thanks a lot! heard that VJ is no longer top 5. is that true? both schools are of the distance from my home actually.

kkl1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tansm2010 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm

kkl1234 wrote:thanks a lot! heard that VJ is no longer top 5. is that true? both schools are of the distance from my home actually.

dd told me that too, it is true that the ranking now as follow:
RI
HCI
NJ
TJ
MJ
VJ

tansm2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby kkl1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:20 pm

tansm2010 wrote:
kkl1234 wrote:thanks a lot! heard that VJ is no longer top 5. is that true? both schools are of the distance from my home actually.

dd told me that too, it is true that the ranking now as follow:
RI
HCI
NJ
TJ
MJ
VJ

thanks a lot

kkl1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby INNOVATE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm

The rankings posted here does not reflect the correct picture. That's why must get the facts right!

Right at the top, btw RI and HCI, in terms of top achievers, is still RI, be it on academic terms or top scholarships. Having said that, HCI showed a marked improvement in an increased no of top students vs RI last year. The latter domain in this area actually slipped. So to many others the better peformer last year was HCI.


VJC indeed did not perform up to expectations in 2009 A-level exam. Then again, to say that MJC did better than VJC is mainly pure speculation. Therefore the correct rankings should be:

RI/HCI
NJC/VJC
TJC
MJC/ACJC/AJC

MJC has the highest distinction rate for project work compares to all jcs. This helped to propel its performance. As project work is internally assess though moderated by MOE, there is some subjectivity. Of course one has to give credit to MJC for such remarkable performance.

For comparison wise, one needs to base on recent peformance over a longer period rather than one single cohort.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Imp75 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 pm

I am surprised at the ranking for Meridien JC. This is a very NEW school right? I remembered there wasn't Meridien during the 90s+

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 am
Total Likes: 11


Postby INNOVATE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Imp75 wrote:I am surprised at the ranking for Meridien JC. This is a very NEW school right? I remembered there wasn't Meridien during the 90s+



Located within Pasir Ris area, this instituition is performing very well. Its first batch of A-level students sat for the examination in yr 2004 and accumulated mean uni rank points of approximately 70.

Since then, its performance has improved steadily to approx 73 pts in the following year and right up to approx 79 rank points in 2009. Remarkable for a school with such a short history. Going forward, its progress is constrained by fellow competitors from VJC, Temasek and DHS.

Its latest performance placed them on par with ACJC and Anderson. To be regarded as a lower tier 1 jc, it must be able to break the 80 points barrier and stay there.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


MJC

Postby Sunny Lei » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm

In the recent open house, it was shared that MJC had hit near 80 points and some of top 5 JC did not hit this score. It was a very convincing statement which kept many of us thinking 'really'...

It is certainly a young JC with a lot of determination to do well. The campus is Wifi connected, classrooms are air-condition, it gives us an impression that they will do well and very focused. The fact is they had done well in 2009 and could this be sustained? We should look out for their A level performance for 2010 releasing in April.

On the other hand, TJC is no doubt a good JC, but the campus structure is rather dated, it seems to be a little crowded considering they are going to start their IP for Sec 1 in 2012(it took yr 3 now). Impressive HOD as there were mini lectures given during the last open house.

It was difficult choice for us and in the end, we had made the selection based on travelling time.

Sunny Lei
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Fairy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

INNOVATE wrote:The rankings posted here does not reflect the correct picture. That's why must get the facts right!

Right at the top, btw RI and HCI, in terms of top achievers, is still RI, be it on academic terms or top scholarships. Having said that, HCI showed a marked improvement in an increased no of top students vs RI last year. The latter domain in this area actually slipped. So to many others the better peformer last year was HCI.


VJC indeed did not perform up to expectations in 2009 A-level exam. Then again, to say that MJC did better than VJC is mainly pure speculation. Therefore the correct rankings should be:

RI/HCI
NJC/VJC
TJC
MJC/ACJC/AJC

MJC has the highest distinction rate for project work compares to all jcs. This helped to propel its performance. As project work is internally assess though moderated by MOE, there is some subjectivity. Of course one has to give credit to MJC for such remarkable performance.

For comparison wise, one needs to base on recent peformance over a longer period rather than one single cohort.


I believe the ranking is not based just on how many perfect scorers or how many of their students received scholarships. The percentage of students in the school who does well has also been considered.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees