Any Parents taking up Private Degree Courses?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Any Parents taking up Private Degree Courses?

Postby tanlengleng » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:58 am

Hi all,
I have a Diploma in Electrical Engineering, grad from Ngee Ann Polytechnic.

Thinking of taking up something since I'm a SAHM now.

Any suggestion for a school with correspondance course,
best if there's no need to attend physical school?
Cause I have a 7mths old to look after 24/7...

Possible courses;
Business, Management, Phychology, Language...

Many thanks in advance. :)

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Piggymum » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Leng Leng,

There are many distance learning courses you can choose from. I did a search from Google Singapore on distance learning cos was looking for MBA & other professional courses. Most importantly, the University has to be well recognised.

Piggymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:26 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tanlengleng » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Piggymum wrote:Hi Leng Leng,

There are many distance learning courses you can choose from. I did a search from Google Singapore on distance learning cos was looking for MBA & other professional courses. Most importantly, the University has to be well recognised.


Hi,
thanks for helping out.
I've heard too much stories about degrees not being recognised,
thus asking around for if anyone is doing any course & have real stories to share.

Leng Leng :)

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby MMM » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm

If you are looking at a UK university, I recall that there is a book that is available in the library that shows the universities that are a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities. Those who are members are supposedly recognised. But again, there are many universities inside there (top, average and never heard of), so it's still good to go for reputable ones.

If you are studying some subject that is governed by a professional body in Singapore. It's good to check with the governing body if the degree is recognised. Eg. accountancy, the ICPAS defines the universities that it recognises.

Personally, I did a distance learning degree around 11 yrs back. Followed by a professional paper (degree equivalent). I do not have issues with recognition so far with MNCs.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby tanlengleng » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:16 pm

MMM wrote:If you are looking at a UK university, I recall that there is a book that is available in the library that shows the universities that are a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities. Those who are members are supposedly recognised. But again, there are many universities inside there (top, average and never heard of), so it's still good to go for reputable ones.

If you are studying some subject that is governed by a professional body in Singapore. It's good to check with the governing body if the degree is recognised. Eg. accountancy, the ICPAS defines the universities that it recognises.

Personally, I did a distance learning degree around 11 yrs back. Followed by a professional paper (degree equivalent). I do not have issues with recognition so far with MNCs.


Hi,
thank you for your reply.
Need some advise here, "distance learning" meaning there's no phycial studying at school is it?
So how do you take your examinations?

Many thanks.

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby tanlengleng » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Anyone had online degree programs to recommand?

TIA. :)

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:19 pm

How about CFA?
Entirely self-study. Not necessary to attend course. Exam is once a year in June. 3 levels altogether.

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/index.html

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Postby MMM » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:11 pm

tanlengleng wrote: Hi,
thank you for your reply.
Need some advise here, "distance learning" meaning there's no phycial studying at school is it?
So how do you take your examinations?

Many thanks.


No, our distance learning meant the degree came from a uni far away. We had to attend class several times a week with local lecturer and then over the weekends when the UK lecturer is in Singapore and then sit for the exam.

Hubby did a MBA few years back from one of those UK uni. He had to attend class from thursday to sunday. Weekends are intensive from 9-5/6 type of deal. After which, they sit for exams.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby tanlengleng » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am

sleepy wrote:How about CFA?
Entirely self-study. Not necessary to attend course. Exam is once a year in June. 3 levels altogether.

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/index.html


*sob sob*
Went thru the website, don't know anything about investments stuffs...
Thank you for the information.

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby tanlengleng » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 am

MMM wrote:
tanlengleng wrote: Hi,
thank you for your reply.
Need some advise here, "distance learning" meaning there's no phycial studying at school is it?
So how do you take your examinations?

Many thanks.


No, our distance learning meant the degree came from a uni far away. We had to attend class several times a week with local lecturer and then over the weekends when the UK lecturer is in Singapore and then sit for the exam.

Hubby did a MBA few years back from one of those UK uni. He had to attend class from thursday to sunday. Weekends are intensive from 9-5/6 type of deal. After which, they sit for exams.


Thank you for the explanation,
I've a baby to look after,
it's not possible for me to attend any school.
Thus looking for a 100% online course.

Many thanks. :)

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees