Which Poly has the highest chance to enter university?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Most reputable Poly

Nanyang Polytechnic
23%
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
31%
Republic Polytechnic
8%
Singapore Polytechnic
38%
Temasek Polytechnic
No votes

Total votes : 13

Which Poly has the highest chance to enter university?

Postby ll85 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi, anybody can advice me on which poly has a better chance to go into uni?

Thanks in advance

ll85
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby KSP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

SP of course.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 pm

KSP wrote:SP of course.

uh... not necessary.

It really depends on the Poly's student overall GPA (grade point average) and the choice and popularity of the faculty in the uni that he/she is aiming for.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Er, I heard that SP standard dropped a lot now leh...

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Its Ngee Ann Polytechnic in particular international business and nursing students.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby orchids » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Should one wish to pursue medicine in the university, what are the available options in poly and which are the poly that offer them?

Btw, is it too late for a 'O' level student to apply for the course now?

Your reply is very much appreciated.

orchids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:02 pm

orchids wrote:Should one wish to pursue medicine in the university, what are the available options in poly and which are the poly that offer them?

Medicine straight go jc. Exceedingly difficult for any poly top student though not entirely impossible.

For jc students its easier to pursue it in Australia, University of Melbourne, entrance requirement only 3 As in A-level. Locally needs almost straights As plus good cca and cip records.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby orchids » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:25 pm

INNOVATE wrote:

Medicine straight go jc. Exceedingly difficult for any poly top student though not entirely impossible.

For jc students its easier to pursue it in Australia, University of Melbourne, entrance requirement only 3 As in A-level. Locally needs almost straights As plus good cca and cip records.

Hi Innovate,

My niece had been home-schooled all along and she took her 'O' level last year. She only qualifies for poly and wish to retake 'O' level this year. I am not sure whether her choice is wise and wish to give her some alternative advice.

So, it seems like she still needs to go by the JC route, preferably.

orchids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:52 am

orchids wrote:Should one wish to pursue medicine in the university, what are the available options in poly and which are the poly that offer them?

Came across this newspaper article "From Poly to NUS Medicine" http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/S ... 09774.html

However, I don't think that it means that only students doing biotechnology at Ngee Ann Polytechnic will get into NUS Medicine.

As highlighted in the article >> "Unlike junior college (JC) students, who apply with A-level results, poly students are assessed on their poly results and O-level grades. But like all other applicants, they take an essay test and go through two rounds of interviews."

The 2 students get 10 and 9 respectively in their O levels.

From what I understand, application to Poly for 'O' level students is over. In fact, the appeal results were out too. However you can still contact the admission office for the poly you are interested and ask them how can you apply for their course.

Hope the info are useful to you.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby orchids » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:14 pm

koguma wrote:

Came across this newspaper article "From Poly to NUS Medicine" http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/S ... 09774.html

However, I don't think that it means that only students doing biotechnology at Ngee Ann Polytechnic will get into NUS Medicine.

As highlighted in the article >> "Unlike junior college (JC) students, who apply with A-level results, poly students are assessed on their poly results and O-level grades. But like all other applicants, they take an essay test and go through two rounds of interviews."

The 2 students get 10 and 9 respectively in their O levels.

From what I understand, application to Poly for 'O' level students is over. In fact, the appeal results were out too. However you can still contact the admission office for the poly you are interested and ask them how can you apply for their course.

Hope the info are useful to you.

Koguma, thank you very much for the useful information.

orchids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees