RIJC - Streaming?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

RIJC - Streaming?

Postby Quintessential Mum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:55 pm

My nephew is in JC1 at RIJC and i was wondering if the JC streams the students. In other words, do they put the best students in the A class or is it just randomly distributed? Anyone from RIJC that can shed some light? Thanks!! :D

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: RIJC - Streaming?

Postby fatal-illuxions » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Quintessential Mum wrote:My nephew is in JC1 at RIJC and i was wondering if the JC streams the students. In other words, do they put the best students in the A class or is it just randomly distributed? Anyone from RIJC that can shed some light? Thanks!! :D

HI! im a JC1 student too :)

from gathering information from many of my friends, across many classes and different combinations of subjects, the classes are distributed LOOSELY according to your GPA. meaning, a class will have a RANGE of GPAs, (eg, GPA from 3.6+ - 4.0) etc.

in my subject combination, PCME, the best few classes are H - M. with some of my friends having a GPA of 3.7+ in A.

fatal-illuxions
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby autolycus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Could this 'loose' linkage be a statistical glitch? That is, is what you're describing statistically likely to be the result of chance or not?

Sometimes, the apparent distribution is due to bucket-filling algorithms. Consider what happens if students are ranked by GPA and then placed into classes so that the number of students in any equivalent class (i.e. with the same combination) remains roughly the same while the classes are being filled. So you would put the 1st student in the 1st class, 2nd in 2nd class and then repeat when you get to the end.

What you get then depends on whether you do a unidirectional or bidirectional pass when filling the spaces. This is not a random process, although it might look like it.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Quintessential Mum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

autolycus wrote:Could this 'loose' linkage be a statistical glitch? That is, is what you're describing statistically likely to be the result of chance or not?

Sometimes, the apparent distribution is due to bucket-filling algorithms. Consider what happens if students are ranked by GPA and then placed into classes so that the number of students in any equivalent class (i.e. with the same combination) remains roughly the same while the classes are being filled. So you would put the 1st student in the 1st class, 2nd in 2nd class and then repeat when you get to the end.

What you get then depends on whether you do a unidirectional or bidirectional pass when filling the spaces. This is not a random process, although it might look like it.

Interesting - but i understand that the class sizes vary greatly.

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Quintessential Mum wrote:Interesting - but i understand that the class sizes vary greatly.

That would happen if the classes are filled by combination first, and then by some other method of distribution. I'm sorry... it's my history as a timetabling officer. :)

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Quintessential Mum » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:28 pm

autolycus wrote:
Quintessential Mum wrote:Interesting - but i understand that the class sizes vary greatly.

That would happen if the classes are filled by combination first, and then by some other method of distribution. I'm sorry... it's my history as a timetabling officer. :)

No worries! I like your thought process! :D

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees