A Levels Uni Score Calculation?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

A Levels Uni Score Calculation?

Postby Serafiel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey I'm a J2 this year, wondering how do you calculate uni scores?
The perfect 90 score one? It's 3H2+1H1?
But I heard you can only choose a H1 besides GP/PW?
Meaning, MTL or something?
And can you downgrade a H2 to H1 if you got 4H2s?
Last question, is General Studies in Chinese same as Higher Chinese O levels? Can you choose which result to calculate in your score? Or you must use the newer score?
PS. Someone told me if you retake H1 Jap or GSC you have to take alternate years and they will average your scores anyway?
Thank you. I'm terribly confused as my parents were in utter despair after getting back my H1 results.

Serafiel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: A Levels Uni Score Calculation?

Postby koguma » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

Serafiel wrote:Hey I'm a J2 this year, wondering how do you calculate uni scores?
The perfect 90 score one? It's 3H2+1H1?
But I heard you can only choose a H1 besides GP/PW?
Meaning, MTL or something?
And can you downgrade a H2 to H1 if you got 4H2s?
Last question, is General Studies in Chinese same as Higher Chinese O levels? Can you choose which result to calculate in your score? Or you must use the newer score?
PS. Someone told me if you retake H1 Jap or GSC you have to take alternate years and they will average your scores anyway?
Thank you. I'm terribly confused as my parents were in utter despair after getting back my H1 results.

This is copied from the "A-level results this year" thread.
It should ans all your questions. If have doubt, feel free to ask :)
+++++++

I came across this in the brightsparks forum ---> http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=4225 by Rui

Calculation of University Admission Score (for Standard subject combination)

Local universities take into account all six subjects (3 H2, 3 H1; in a case of a student with 4 H2, the H2 with the worst grade will be directly converted to a H1 - i.e. a B in your 4th H2 will become a H1 B).

The subjects contribute to a University admission score.

Each H2 subject has a maximum of 20 points for an A, with a decrement of 2.5 points for each grade (i.e. A-20; B-17.5; C-15 etc.).

Each H1 subject has a maximum of 10 points for an A, with a decrement of 1.25 points for each grade (i.e. A-10, B-8.75; C-7.5 etc.)

Effectively H1 is "halve" the H2. Hence, with straight A's in all 6 subjects, one can attain the maximum of (20 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10) 90 points.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DMS Arc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

For 3 H2 + H1 students, the 4 subjects + GP + PW will be taken into account.

http://www3.moe.edu.sg/cpdd/alevel2006/ ... beyond.htm

H1 MT grade is not used in the computation. But bonus points will be given to applicants to NUS MT related courses.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/a ... 1.html#top

To supplement the above info, for H2 subj, it is not -2.5 points for E,S and Ungraded. It is E=10, S=5 and U=0. H1 subj U = 0.

A student who fails GP will be given a incomplete A level certificate. This does not mean that the student can't qualify for Uni courses. The selection will be based on the total A level points obtained as what was stated in the above post. The student just need to sit for the Qualifying English Test (QET) before the 1st Sem.

If a top student scores 5 As but is Ungraded for GP, his points will be 20+20+20+ 0+10+10 = 80. If a student has straight Bs for three H2 and straight As for H1, her points will be 17.5+17.5+17.5+10+10+10=82.5. Though the latter grades may not be impressive, she has more A level points than the 5 As top student.

Conclusion: Though H2 subj are important, must do well in H1 subjects too, esp GP.

DMS Arc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees