Doing Well In JC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Doing Well In JC

Postby dert » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 am

As above,I've just started my first year in junior college with hopes of doing well or at the very least get promoted however i have heard many horror stories of students who despite their good O-level results struggle to do well or even manage a pass in their tests/promos.Granted that i have already started doing topical practices and try to resolve uncertainties/understand the topics that i've been taught,i really don't know if im on the right track.
With the first few topics of my subjects being quite easy since i can still use my secondary school foundation/concepts and i havent't had any tests as of yet so i wouldn't feel the pinch of JC life yet,any shared experience or advice would be appreciated.

My subject combi is PCME btw.

dert
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Doing Well In JC

Postby Quintessential Mum » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 am

dert wrote:As above,I've just started my first year in junior college with hopes of doing well or at the very least get promoted however i have heard many horror stories of students who despite their good O-level results struggle to do well or even manage a pass in their tests/promos.Granted that i have already started doing topical practices and try to resolve uncertainties/understand the topics that i've been taught,i really don't know if im on the right track.
With the first few topics of my subjects being quite easy since i can still use my secondary school foundation/concepts and i havent't had any tests as of yet so i wouldn't feel the pinch of JC life yet,any shared experience or advice would be appreciated.

Well, if you have a strong foundation in your PCM subjects at O's, it will help in A's. However, if you have a weak/average foundation in your PCM subject at O's, it may be more challenging at A's. The problem is that for O's, you can get an A1 once you hit say 75 for instance and the other student who gets 100 also gets the same A1. Obviously, there is no distinction between a weak A1 or a strong A1 for O levels. However, at A levels, the weak A1s will likely struggle as they may have a weaker foundation and not able to grasp or understand the subject that is taught at a higher level. So it is not surprising that they do not do well at A levels despite tuition.

Which JC are you in? This will help in determining your approach towards your study program. It is heartening to know that you have got down to work already. Many i believe are still in their honeymoon period! :lol: BTW, some JCs have already started on Tests fyi. 8)

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DMS Arc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 pm

The local Unis A level grades requirement are your PCME grades + PW + GP.

Though PW and GP are only H1 subjects, they are used in the Uni application scoring system.

Though it is not wise to emphasis this but just for your info, H1 MT grade are not considered. A pass will be sufficient for Uni admission criteria.

The A level curriculum are much more heavier in content than O level. As a tutor, I find it quite a feat to cover all the topics in a span in 1.5 years. Some JC 1 students may be too focus on their PW and neglected their other subjects. They thought that they will be able to cover the neglected topics in JC 2.

If it is possible to teach the JC curriculum in a few weeks, why do we need 2 years for JC? Most JCs could only complete the syllabus only several weeks before the A levels examination. It is not possible to re-teach the whole JC 1 syllabus in 2 months.

My advice to you will be to manage your time wisely. Make sure you are not lagging behind your tutorials and get ready for Project Work. It is where the nightmare begins.
Last edited by DMS Arc on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMS Arc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby dert » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the two insightful replies!

With the poster above mentioning that H1MT ( Chinese for me) does not count in my uni admission,i was wondering what are the merits of doing well in the H1MT A levels ( A or maybe B) since i would consider my prospects of doing well in H1MT to be slim and if so is an upheaval task since my chinese foundation is really weak.

dert
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DMS Arc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Based on what was posted online, H1 MT can be used in the overall Uni application scoring.

Source http://www3.moe.edu.sg/cpdd/alevel2006/faqs.htm#Q28

But it seems likely the H1 MT score is used only when you apply for MT related courses and will allow you to get bonus points if you have an A for MT. There are other subjects that allow you to get bonus points but only if you are keen to pursue a course in the MT related field.

There is a Uni admission requirement to sub-pass H1 MT though.

Source http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/doc/NUS1.pdf

DMS Arc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby vanillabean » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm

dert wrote:As above,I've just started my first year in junior college with hopes of doing well or at the very least get promoted however i have heard many horror stories of students who despite their good O-level results struggle to do well or even manage a pass in their tests/promos.Granted that i have already started doing topical practices and try to resolve uncertainties/understand the topics that i've been taught,i really don't know if im on the right track.

Hi!
the reason why there are horror stories of students who struggle to do well in A levels despite good O level results is mainly because they do not change their studying methods. A levels is about consistency and a student will do well if he or she makes sure each topic is understood well and well practiced before moving on to the next. And recapping of topics is a must. It is a must to study smart. The current A levels test on application of knowledge. Whereas O levels is about whether you studied or not. Thus, you have to study, memorise and practice application of what you learnt for A levels.

I graduated from JC about 2 years back. Managed to get 3As but 1C for my 3 H2 subjects and H1 subject. Could make it to NTU and SMU business but NUS was too competitive. Consistency is the key to success. For H1 chinese, i think a pass or something is required to go to Uni. I can't really rmb but do not take it lightly and do your best for it no matter what. My combination was BCME with econs H1. I got a C for Chemistry but A for the rest. So that C grade kind of made a large difference to being accepted to NUS business. PCME is a common subject combination and it is known to less stressful as there's no Biology involved. Wish you all the best for A levels. Study smart and keep recapping.

vanillabean
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lobo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:55 pm

If do ok in the JC1 promo exams, it means that you're prepared for 50% of the GCE 'A' Level syllabus already, right?

lobo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re:

Postby daisyt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:17 pm

DMS Arc wrote:My advice to you will be to manage your time wisely. Make sure you are not lagging behind your tutorials and get ready for Project Work. It is where the nightmare begins.

Hi, do you mean, PW is a nightmare? PW is done at JC1 right?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:22 pm

dert wrote:I graduated from JC about 2 years back. Managed to get 3As but 1C for my 3 H2 subjects and H1 subject. Could make it to NTU and SMU business but NUS was too competitive. Consistency is the key to success. For H1 chinese, i think a pass or something is required to go to Uni. I can't really rmb but do not take it lightly and do your best for it no matter what. My combination was BCME with econs H1. I got a C for Chemistry but A for the rest. So that C grade kind of made a large difference to being accepted to NUS business. PCME is a common subject combination and it is known to less stressful as there's no Biology involved. Wish you all the best for A levels. Study smart and keep recapping.

Why would a C in chem has effect to NUS business? Business course would look at Chem?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby whitecorp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

daisyt wrote:
Why would a C in chem has effect to NUS business? Business course would look at Chem?

Its all about the aggregated University admissions score, which factors in all H1/H2 grades. Then again, it is also highly contingent on the strength of your competition who are vying for a place in the discipline you are interested to pursue. That is why for hot courses like medicine, getting straight As might not even grant you an interview with the selection board.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees