Yale-NUS College

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Re: Yale-NUS College

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

3Boys wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote: the name got typo or not ? sleeper or slipper ?
Agree SOME Americans are clueless, but not every American is clueless, and not every clueless American is clueless about everything. He is SLEEPer lah. Just like Singaporeans lor, sama-sama. Have them in every country. :oops: :shrug: but at least we don't profess to be able to 'save' anyone... :rotflmao: Don't forget we all have different coloured eyes, and some eyes are green (oops, hazel).
I was very specific about defining the object of my ire, "THE clueless American out to 'save' the unwashed", of which there are quite a few, but by no means a generalisation of all Americans, if that were even at all possible.
I guess I misinterpreted the "personifies" word you used, thinking you meant he is a personification of a typical clueless American.
Last edited by 2ppaamm on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

so, the question is, is it worth applying to NUS-Yale ? is it a good alternative to Yale ?

please yell the answer here. many thanks !

the U-town here really nice...at least in terms of the physical environment

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:10 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:so, the question is, is it worth applying to NUS-Yale ? is it a good alternative to Yale ?

Have to visit to know lah... never visited before. Certainly the weather is not as cold, the food in Singapore is probably better, Yale is less humid, the rest... :shrug:

Don't know who the faculty will be 5 years from now... :wink: if Singaporeans, then like Singaporean uni lor.

verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by verykiasu2010 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:so, the question is, is it worth applying to NUS-Yale ? is it a good alternative to Yale ?

Have to visit to know lah... never visited before. Certainly the weather is not as cold, the food in Singapore is probably better, Yale is less humid, the rest... :shrug:

Don't know who the faculty will be 5 years from now... :wink: if Singaporeans, then like Singaporean uni lor.
some part of the campus resembles a bit of Harvard Square

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:220

Post by 3Boys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:13 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
3Boys wrote:
2ppaamm wrote: Agree SOME Americans are clueless, but not every American is clueless, and not every clueless American is clueless about everything. He is SLEEPer lah. Just like Singaporeans lor, sama-sama. Have them in every country. :oops: :shrug: but at least we don't profess to be able to 'save' anyone... :rotflmao: Don't forget we all have different coloured eyes, and some eyes are green (oops, hazel).
I was very specific about defining the object of my ire, "THE clueless American out to 'save' the unwashed", of which there are quite a few, but by no means a generalisation of all Americans, if that were even at all possible.
I guess I misinterpreted the "personifies" word you used, thinking you meant he is a personification of a typical clueless American.
Yep, I understand it could be read that way, thanks for the opportunity to clarify. My work colleagues are international, there are nice and not-so-nice Americans, just like there are nice and not-so-nice Singaporeans.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:220

Post by 3Boys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I look forward to Yale setting up shop. I am by nature conservative in my outlook, so I'm sure there will be plenty of head-banging, but also plenty to learn from a 'liberal-arts' college. One should not get too stodgy in old age, yeah? :wink:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:22 pm

3Boys wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:
3Boys wrote:
Yep, I understand it could be read that way, thanks for the opportunity to clarify. My work colleagues are international, there are nice and not-so-nice Americans, just like there are nice and not-so-nice Singaporeans.
There are also clueless and not so clueless Americans/ang mos, and clueless and not so clueless Singaporeans/Asians too. Just that the ratio might different slightly, depends on the industry. :wink:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

3Boys wrote:

I look forward to Yale setting up shop. I am by nature conservative in my outlook, so I'm sure there will be plenty of head-banging, but also plenty to learn from a 'liberal-arts' college. One should not get too stodgy in old age, yeah? :wink:
I am actually surprised that Singapore would want to set up a liberal arts college... question is why does Singapore want to set up a liberal arts college? :? Is adding the 'law' part an afterthought to add a new justification? Cannot figure... :shrug:

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by resgmom » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 am

Been a while since this was discussed - anyone's DS/DD in Yale-NUS? Whats the general sense like other than the nice facilities? Wondering what's the RP requirement , how difficult it is to get scholarships (saw on Reddit that half the students receive some aid, but understand that 1/2 of the students are foreigners - so how are the aid/scholarship distributed? The Yale NUS websites are rather opaque on the income level for aid too. Any comments appreciated!

Parent
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Parent » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am

So.....this is part of "Liberal Art" education?

Why has it taken them so long to realise the problem running "Sex Week" for so many years?

https://jezebel.com/the-real-reason-yal ... ek-5858643