Application to JCs

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Application to JCs

Postby Saza » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I am a 16 yr old student, taking o lvl this year.

My humanities are much stronger than my science and mathematics. So, Im confirmed going to the arts stream in a JC. But, which JC would you say has a good arts programme (I live in the East)

Also, to those who have DSA-ed before, what are some of the requirements for DSA through debate into a JC. Like what stuff do they look out for?

Saza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Application to JCs

Postby koguma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:52 am

Saza wrote:I am a 16 yr old student, taking o lvl this year.

My humanities are much stronger than my science and mathematics. So, Im confirmed going to the arts stream in a JC. But, which JC would you say has a good arts programme (I live in the East)

Also, to those who have DSA-ed before, what are some of the requirements for DSA through debate into a JC. Like what stuff do they look out for?

I think every JC has its own strength and weaknesses, hence it is difficult to say which JC has a good arts programme. However you may want to consider applying for Humanities Scholarship if you are keen to do arts programmes in JC. In the east, only TJC and VJC have this programme. (http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/scholar ... umanities/).

Also, you have to think through the subjects you like to do in JC, and then check which JCs offer the subjects conbination you plan to do. Also, do remember that you have to do one Sci subject if you doing arts programme.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Saza wrote:I am a 16 yr old student, taking o lvl this year.

Hi! If you wish to DSA into a JC through debate, then you would be required to win a few debate competitions or receive awards (Best Speaker etc) from debate competitions. It will be good if you have represented Singapore or at least your school in national debates. You will be required to score a minimum of 20 points for your L1R5 for your GCE O levels.

Victoria Junior College has a very strong debate team and will look out for such. It is one of the few colleges offering Drama as a A level subject. TJC also has a decent arts program but the best of the best would be CJC.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lobo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:03 am

Are some JCs so lax that students are left mostly to their own devices, where there is no push or motivation by the teachers to put students in the right track?

lobo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meinteel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:01 am

Don't expect the teachers to feed you in college. If you intend to study in a college, you must first consider yourself a mature and responsible adult.

There will be help available, only if you fight for it. Those who attempt to struggle on their own and give up tend to be forgotten. After all, many students fight hard for the very little time the teachers have. Especially as major examinations near, extra lessons are commonly held till as late as 9pm.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees