Subjects at JC years

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Subjects at JC years

Postby Zann » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Reading the news of 'A' Level results today, am shock to know nowadays 'A' studetns got to study so many subjects. Getting more and more confused and what are H1, H2, H3 and which are optionals? What is local uni requirement nowadays? Why the top student has an additional subjects which is 'O' Level higher Chinese? Didn't he get exampted from HCL at JC? Subjects taken at JC years, do they actually begin at sec 4 in IP school?
How are the score calculated for "A" level? Anyone clear about all these? :?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi Zann,

I haven't studied in details. I know that H2 subjects are what we used to call "A"-level subjects, H1 are the old "AO" subjects and H3, the "S"-papers.

For local uni, looks like 3 H2 and 2 H1 are what they will look at. All the subjects translate to academic units. And if you are in Science stream, you need to do 1 contrasting subject (eg. Humanities) and if you are in Arts stream, you need to do 1 Science subject. The combination is quite complex, I have not looked at the details yet.

In fact the subjects build up from Sec 3, in IP schools.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 am

Haha, I am also another confuse parent. I know in IP, by year 3, they would need to choose the subjects and it depends on what you are targeting to take in Uni. During the 1st week of year 1, the principal told the parents, in year 2, she would brief on us again .... very confusing :lol:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am

lizawa wrote:Hi Zann,

I haven't studied in details. I know that H2 subjects are what we used to call "A"-level subjects, H1 are the old "AO" subjects and H3, the "S"-papers.

For local uni, looks like 3 H2 and 2 H1 are what they will look at. All the subjects translate to academic units. And if you are in Science stream, you need to do 1 contrasting subject (eg. Humanities) and if you are in Arts stream, you need to do 1 Science subject. The combination is quite complex, I have not looked at the details yet.

In fact the subjects build up from Sec 3, in IP schools.

Hi Lizawa, that sounds like in the past. But it seems like nowadays, especially, in top schools, the students are competing by the number of subjects and point they take.
Have not heard of point system(学分). Duno how essential it is and how it works. :?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 am

Zann wrote:Hi Lizawa, that sounds like in the past. But it seems like nowadays, especially, in top schools, the students are competing by the number of subjects and point they take.
Have not heard of point system(学分). Duno how essential it is and how it works. :?

True. But still the uni will just look at 3H2, 1H1, GP or KI and Project Work. So total score is 90.

But I suppose when you get so many students scoring distinction for H2, then, the other form of comparison will be the other subjects you take + CCAs etc. Especially for scholarships and when competition is intense for a certain faculty. Eg. medicine. I know one guy who has perfect score, ie all distinctions and As. but still not able to get into NUS Medicine faculty. So he is doing his medical degree overseas now.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm

lizawa wrote:True. But still the uni will just look at 3H2, 1H1, GP or KI and Project Work. So total score is 90.

But I suppose when you get so many students scoring distinction for H2, then, the other form of comparison will be the other subjects you take + CCAs etc. Especially for scholarships and when competition is intense for a certain faculty. Eg. medicine. I know one guy who has perfect score, ie all distinctions and As. but still not able to get into NUS Medicine faculty. So he is doing his medical degree overseas now.

I heard of this case too. Some said if he has gotton a doctor parent, he would have gotten it? :wink: BTW, What is KI and how do you determine score 90?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby csc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi all,

You may all want to access the following website for infomation pertaining to JC subject combination.

Quite a lot to digest though. :D

http://www.njc.edu.sg/education_subject.htm

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:45 pm

csc wrote:Hi all,

You may all want to access the following website for infomation pertaining to JC subject combination.

Quite a lot to digest though. :D

http://www.njc.edu.sg/education_subject.htm

Wow! not simple ne ...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Zann wrote:I heard of this case too. Some said if he has gotton a doctor parent, he would have gotten it? :wink: BTW, What is KI and how do you determine score 90?

If i am not wrong, each H2 subject constitute 20points, each H1 is 10 points. So 3 H2 = 60 points, 1 H1 + GP + PW = 30 points. Knowledge Inquiry (KI) is like "higher GP", so if you are picked to do KI, then it's a H2 subject, you don't have to do GP.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby micko07 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Lol let me clarify.
The new syllabus is now H1 (AO Lvl), H2 (A Lvl) or H3 (S Paper). Each H1 counts for 1 Academic Unit (AU), H2, 2 AUs and H3 1 AU (I'll explain why later). You need at least 1 CONTRASTING subject, Ie a science student must take a least one Arts subject like Economics, Literature, and a arts student must take at least one Science subject, normally Maths. Knowledge and Inquiry, which is basically Philosophy (or rather the philosophy of knowledge aka epistemology), is a H2 subject that is a contrasting for BOTH Sciences & Arts. Your contrasting subject can be a H1 or a H2, doesn't matter. (MTL does not count as a contrasting subject for Science students; likewise for H1 Foreign Lang)

The following subjects are COMPULSORY:
H1 PW
H1 Mother Tongue Lang (Unless you opt to do H2 Mother Tongue Lang and Lit)
H1 GP (Can be replaced by H2 KI)
So a normal student would already have 3 AUs.

Now the minimum number of AUs is 10, the maximum is 12 (actually there are people with 13 but you need approval from the ministry + insanely good grades and CCA record)

So the most logical choice would be 3 H2s, 1 H1 since H3 is mainly offered only at J2.
For example, my brother's combi:
PW, MTL, GP (H1)
Econs (Contrasting), Maths, Computing (H2)
Physics (H1)
Hence, 3 + 2(3) + 1 = 10 AU.
I offer what is called expanded curriculum, which is 11/12 AUs.
PW, MTL, GP (H1)
Geog, English Lit, Maths (Contrasting), Econs (H2)
3 + 2(4) = 11 AU

There are 3 main types of H3 modules:
Research-based (Eg Science Research Programme, Nanyang Research Programme, Humanities and Social Sciences Research Programme)
University Offered Modules (SMU Game Theory, NUS Economy and Space, NTU Semiconductors)
MOE Modules (H3 Physics, H3 Lit, H3 History)
*Note the list isn't comprehensive, MOE has a full list though

To offer H3, you CANNOT be offering 12 AUs already (unless you're really imba). So in my case, I can only offer 1 H3 since I have 11 AUs. To take a H3, one MUST be taking the relevant H2 subject (Eg Game Theory needs H2 econs and so on). Hence, H3 will only count as 1 AU

KI MUST be taken as your 4th H2 (Ie you cannot take say Maths, KI and Geog (H2) and Econs and Lit (H1)). Since KI replaces GP, KI-ers will have 1 AU less than the normally 4H2 student
Eg
PW, MTL (H1)
KI, History, Lit, Econs (H2)
2 + 8 = 10 AU

The same applies for Mother Tongue Lit and Language ... it replaces H1 MTL so you'll end up with 1 AU less. However, it need not necessarily be the 4th subject. You can take just 3 H2s, including MTLL and the rest of your AUs can be made up with H1 subjects
Eg
PW, GP (H1)
MTLL, Physics, Chemistry (H2)
Maths, Econs (H1)
2 + 6 + 2 = 10 AU

Hope that helps! (:

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees