Temasek poly or Pioneer jc?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Temasek poly or Pioneer jc?

Postby Bounty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 pm

My daughter has been offered a place at Pioneer jc through Dsa. She has also applied at Temasek poly under DPA. Now, in comparison, which would be better?

Bounty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Temasek poly or Pioneer jc?

Postby Edureach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am

Bounty wrote:My daughter has been offered a place at Pioneer jc through Dsa. She has also applied at Temasek poly under DPA. Now, in comparison, which would be better?

Different paths so unable to compare constructively. Questions you should ask is which path is more suitable to her learning style? In TP, does she has a course in mind? Check also her performances in lang, maths/science and humanities.

Generally, if your dd knows what she is cut for and is average to above average in academic, TP is suited for her. For A-level, one cannot hve any weakness in the subjects chosen be it H1 or H2.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jen.95 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:33 am

Depending on her interests. If she feel that a secondary school like environment will suit her better, then perhaps JC. Otherwise, Poly might be a better choice for her. She have to try finding out where her interest and strength lies in.

Do not be worry about her chance of going into university as a result of her ultimate choice. There are plenty of students who are able to enter local university, or even prestige university overseas like cambridge through either path (you can just do a google search).

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Bounty » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Thank you so much both of you for your advice and reassurance.

Bounty
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I am not sure how my input can be helpful but I will put this down anyway. My niece did not do well in her Sec 4 and went to Pioneer JC, not by choice. Before that she and her parents did not know the existence of Pioneer.

She is not doing well there now either. Culturally it is also a shock. She says many students speak to one another in Hokkien and also Malay, at best in very bad English/Singlish/Chinglish. So much so she has picked up a fair bit of Malay, to her parents' surprise. She was previously quite sheltered and from a all-girls school. The environment in Pioneer is "rougher" and certainly very diverse.

I personally do not know anything about Pioneer so treat my report as hearsay.

(Chinglish meaning the sentence structure is Chinese or Hokkien. But the words used are English words.)

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees