My views on project work

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

My views on project work

Postby adamtan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Recently, an open letter was posted on the Online Citizen by a group of Project Work tutors in a local junior college. The letter reflects the general ground sentiments towards the latest guidelines given by MOE for the A-level Project Work subject, which every JC1 student has to offer.

My personal take is that while the intent of the subject is good, the ministry should not have made it a graded subject. Instead, a pass-fail grade would suffice, with the best projects being showcased in a fair, which will then undergo further judging for awards such as gold, silver and bronze medals, much like the Singapore Science and Engineering Fair.

I wonder if anyone else has other views?

http://sgeducator.wordpress.com/

adamtan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: My views on project work

Postby Quintessential Mum » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Totally agree! It is a good exercise and there are skills to pick up. However, the fact that it is a group project (randomly selected 4-5 group members), the deadlines are quite demanding and little or no supervision is provided due to the MOE guidelines/lack of interest of the PW tutors - it is a total nightmare! At the end of the day, the students are usually frustrated and just doing it to get the A and the true intent/objective of PW is lost!

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees