ACSI IB Chinese

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

ACSI IB Chinese

Postby Lynn2010 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi,

I've heard many times that the Chinese in IB is VERY simple. Can someone tell me how "simple" is simple? Is it equivalent to Pr 6? Sec 1? Sec 2?

Thanks!!

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: ACSI IB Chinese

Postby pirozhki » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi,

Whether one considers the ACSI IB Chinese to be "simple" or "difficult" really depends on what level you take chinese at. IB offers several levels of Chinese, of which the following are offered at ACSI.

Chinese A1 HL - Mostly taken only by PRC scholars. It's basically literature in Chinese.

Chinese A2 SL - Taken by a small group of local students (<10/year), it's also literature in Chinese, but far simpler than the A1 HL syllabus. The main perk to taking this is that you get an additional "Bilingual Cert" at the end of your IB course

Chinese B SL - Taken by the vast majority of local students. It's more similar to the level of Chinese offered in Singapore (ie. no literature). Syllabus wise, I'd say the vocabulary is akin to P6, with a few sec 1-2 words thrown into the mix. As for the paper, it consists of MCQ questions, "Primary school cloze"-esque questions (I know no other way of describing it), T/F questions, and a few open ended "comprehension" questions. There is also a composition/letter writing section.

The hardest part about Chinese B SL is that they expect formal Chinese (ie. no shortcuts and Singaporean colloquial mandarin) so that would take some adjusting to.

pirozhki
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

So Chinese B is simpler compared to O and A level Chinese.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi pirozhki,

Given that Chinese B SL is so simple (as described). I presume most Singaporean Chinese would have taken that as it will be so easy to score!! Right?

What about a Malay or Indian or Caucasian who would like to take Chinese? I presume this is not possible as they are not able to achieve P6 standard in 2 years.

(My dd is exempted from MT currently)

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pirozhki » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Lynn,

Yep! Among last year's cohort of about 350 students, less than 20 failed to obtain a grade 7, the highest grade available, for it.

Sorry I forgot to mention, there is an additional level of Chinese offered known as "Chinese Ab Initio SL". It is intended for students who have had no prior formal education in Chinese, and teaches from the basics onwards.

Sorry, could I just clarify, by exempted from MT, do you mean taking syllabus B MT at the moment or not taking it at all?

pirozhki
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:19 pm

If a student has passed HCL at O levels, and moves on to ACSI IB in Year 5/6, is he exempted from Chinese?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby twilight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Yes.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 pm

pirozhki wrote:Hi Lynn,

Yep! Among last year's cohort of about 350 students, less than 20 failed to obtain a grade 7, the highest grade available, for it.

Sorry I forgot to mention, there is an additional level of Chinese offered known as "Chinese Ab Initio SL". It is intended for students who have had no prior formal education in Chinese, and teaches from the basics onwards.

Sorry, could I just clarify, by exempted from MT, do you mean taking syllabus B MT at the moment or not taking it at all?

Hi pirozhki,

My dd is exempted from MT since primary school, so not taking it at all.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pirozhki » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:12 am

jtoh wrote:If a student has passed HCL at O levels, and moves on to ACSI IB in Year 5/6, is he exempted from Chinese?

Hi jtoh, he will be exempted from Chinese. However, due to the course requirements for IB, he will still be required to take a 2nd language. This could be any of the language the school offers, namely Spanish, French and Malay (all at Ab Initio level), or he could take Chinese again.

pirozhki
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
pirozhki wrote:Hi Lynn,

Hi pirozhki,

My dd is exempted from MT since primary school, so not taking it at all.

Can a student who has been exempted from MT in PSLE take MT again in sec schools?
I think not for 'O' levels. What about for IB?

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees