how to help a derailed IP student back to track?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

how to help a derailed IP student back to track?

Postby moirwong » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Nobody is perfect, not even an academically strong pupil. At times, we are distracted and influenced and finally lost our aims, objectives along the long tiring track. I am facing such an issue now but wonder if it is possible to retrack all over again. I know Singapore educational system may be unforgiving but I hope someone has been derailed in our IP track before and could advise me how to pull myself together again.

I have not smelled GPA3.7 before. My As are going dimmer and dimmer each day and panic seized me more. I can't focus, I can't concentrate and I cried because I know I am almost gone. I used to want to beccome a doctor one day but now, I think it is beyond my reach. Once they were my friends but now, everyone seems to be so busy, chasing the grade and leaving me feeling stupid and slow. If I quit now, I will be left with just a PSLE certificate showing a proud 4A* but useless !My mum says she can't afford to send me overseas like a few of my classmates's parents do. :imconstipated:

How to do well in studies again?or can I? :imconstipated: :imconstipated:

moirwong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: how to help a derailed IP student back to track?

Postby SHMILYLOVE » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm

moirwong wrote:Nobody is perfect, not even an academically strong pupil. At times, we are distracted and influenced and finally lost our aims, objectives along the long tiring track. I am facing such an issue now but wonder if it is possible to retrack all over again. I know Singapore educational system may be unforgiving but I hope someone has been derailed in our IP track before and could advise me how to pull myself together again.

I have not smelled GPA3.7 before. My As are going dimmer and dimmer each day and panic seized me more. I can't focus, I can't concentrate and I cried because I know I am almost gone. I used to want to beccome a doctor one day but now, I think it is beyond my reach. Once they were my friends but now, everyone seems to be so busy, chasing the grade and leaving me feeling stupid and slow. If I quit now, I will be left with just a PSLE certificate showing a proud 4A* but useless !My mum says she can't afford to send me overseas like a few of my classmates's parents do. :imconstipated:

Hi moirwong,

Don't give up. its not the end of the world... keep working at it. there is still hope.

You're not more stupid than any others. you just need to get things right and pick yourself up again.

SHMILYLOVE
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MandyMummy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi, moirwong, which year are you in now? If you are in year 6, then time is not on your side. But that does not mean there is no hope. I knew of a friend's dd who went from S and Us to 4As. If you are not in year 6, then you still have time. With perseverance and guidance from your parents and teachers, you can still make it.
You should consult your teachers to devise study plan and to identify your weaknesses. Plan a good revision timetable and stick to it. Consult a school counsellor if you need to.
Last edited by MandyMummy on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby angell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi moirwong,

Please do not despair! Do speak to yr teachers or school counsellors asap, they'll be able to advise you, you do not have to face these difficult times by yourself. They have had all kinds of students before and will be the best people to put u back on the right track. You can do it! Jia you!

angell
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MadScientist » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 pm

moirwong wrote:Nobody is perfect, not even an academically strong pupil. At times, we are distracted and influenced and finally lost our aims, objectives along the long tiring track. I am facing such an issue now but wonder if it is possible to retrack all over again. I know Singapore educational system may be unforgiving but I hope someone has been derailed in our IP track before and could advise me how to pull myself together again.

Ask yourself this questions:

Why am I even asking myself this questions???

Is it because I doubt myself or...?

Do the grades really matter? Really really matter?

Or me growing up, realizing, and then taking the responsibility more important than the grades?

Do I care more about the destination (grades) or the learning journey (your effort henceforth, regardless of outcome)?

Do I still want to be a medical doctor, or whatever my dreams may be?

Then smack yourself real hard... Go for a good workout (run jog gym, etc.)
As you are exhausted, perspiring and pooped. Look into the mirror close up, eye to eye with yourself and say this to yourself out loud...

"Get off your butt and get moving! Doubt is wasting time. Make it happen. It will be this hot, this exhausting, this tiring... But you will never give up or slow down! You want to do this and You must do this for yourself, and yourself only. Only when you did your very best will you ever be able to face yourself again. You can and You MUST."

Have a bit of faith in yourself... And when you need a break, watch Patch Adams. Also watch YouTube for this clip called "last lecture of Randy Pausch".

I don't know you, but I know you can surpass you own expectations if you forgive and reconcile with yourself.
All the best and God Speed.

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Snow Crystal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Moirwong, don't despair :hugs: Life is not all about getting GPA 3.7 and above. What matters is that the same spirit you applied in getting 4As in PSLE is back for A levels. I suppose you mention GPA3.7 cos that differentiates those who get into better classes in Year 5. A levels is more like PSLE - mug and practice lots of past year papers so bring that spirit back!! :boogie: Don't forget GPA calculation is very broad-based- taking in all sorts of assessment: PTs, AAs, SPAs, PPAs etc etc. It doesn't mean that you have lost the touch in studying. A levels has no PTs and AAs. Just focus on those 4 ultimate H2 subjects. Further if you are in sec sch, GPA takes into account so many subjects. You can't be strong in all areas. Besides year 5-6 only 4 H2 subjects. If you are still taking Science subjects you should have a shot at Medicine. If you can't get into local Medicine, go for other related degree locally then go work, save and apply to study Medicine locally or overseas for the final years.

Go and read the other thread IP student nickname SingaporeGirl asking about transferring ACSI IB at Year 5.I like her spirit - she's thinking of her alternative choices. The road is not always straight. At times you want to chart a different course like SingaporeGirl. You can't live in past glory ie reminiscing the 4A* in PSLE. I know that's a bitter pill to swallow :gloomy: but you have to recognize that after PSLE it's a totally fresh new game and competitors in IP school :nunchuk: and subsequently every stage in the education path. Many 4A* kids get burnt out and give up the race halfway. I want you to think of your results as stock market indices. There are ups and downs. Just like Life. Once you see the graph going down please don't presume it's down all the way. It could be the valley ie the lowest point before you bounce up :smile: So start your study schedule, prepare early and chiong for A levels! Jiayou jiayou jiayou! :rahrah:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AdvancedAcademia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:43 am

Moirwong,

Much valuable insights has been shared by others. I just want to share a short video which I hope will motivate you.

[youtube=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYtQy9EqTA&feature=related[/youtube]

If you feel now that there are things that are holding you back or you are having difficulty in your studies don't sit back and lament about it. Go do something about it, go seek help!

Your success is in your determination not to fail.

AdvancedAcademia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby neonfish » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

Moirwong,

Not sure which year of study you are in. Do you want to consider other alternatives like transferring to another School/Polytechnic?

neonfish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby moirwong » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:29 am

:thankyou:

moirwong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees