Any advantages of taking H3 subjects

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Any advantages of taking H3 subjects

Postby mjl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 am

My daughter currently in JC1 is considering to take the following for JC2:
a) 4 H2 & 2 H3
b) 4 H2 & 1 H3
c) 3 H2, 1 H1 & 2 H3

Her subjects are H2 Math, H2 Physics, H2 Chemistry and H2 Econs (for option c, Econs will be dropped to H1).
What are the advantages of taking 2 H3 over 1 H3, or 0 H3?
Is it advisable to drop Econs to H1?

Thanks for any kind advice!

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Any advantages of taking H3 subjects

Postby koguma » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:16 am

mjl wrote:My daughter currently in JC1 is considering to take the following for JC2:
a) 4 H2 & 2 H3
b) 4 H2 & 1 H3
c) 3 H2, 1 H1 & 2 H3

Her subjects are H2 Math, H2 Physics, H2 Chemistry and H2 Econs (for option c, Econs will be dropped to H1).

Some info for your reference, hope you find them useful.

1) MOE reply on "H3 subjects not intended for use as distinguishing criterion for university admission"
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2008/ ... -for-u.php

2) Discussion thread on Kiasuparents.com
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 29&t=15305

Some people believe that a good grade in H3 subject will increase the chance of them getting into a prestigious University or scholarship. Not sure how true is this. But if your daughter is confident that she will gets "A" for all her 4 H2 or 3H2 1H1 subjects and she has the spare time to learn more, then why not just go for it. I understand students can drop the H3 subjects if they cannot cope or don't like it.

She may also wants to check with her seniors on their experiences with the H3 subjects and how useful are these subjects.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 am

koguma wrote:
mjl wrote:My daughter currently in JC1 is considering to take the following for JC2:
a) 4 H2 & 2 H3
b) 4 H2 & 1 H3
c) 3 H2, 1 H1 & 2 H3

Some info for your reference, hope you find them useful.

1) MOE reply on "H3 subjects not intended for use as distinguishing criterion for university admission"
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2008/ ... -for-u.php

2) Discussion thread on Kiasuparents.com
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 29&t=15305

Some people believe that a good grade in H3 subject will increase the chance of them getting into a prestigious University or scholarship. Not sure how true is this. But if your daughter is confident that she will gets "A" for all her 4 H2 or 3H2 1H1 subjects and she has the spare time to learn more, then why not just go for it. I understand students can drop the H3 subjects if they cannot cope or don't like it.

She may also wants to check with her seniors on their experiences with the H3 subjects and how useful are these subjects.

The MOE reply on S3 only pertain to admission to NUS and NTU where they don't care about H3 subjects

How about overseas uni ? If it is useless, why introduce it ? I thought last time when the predecessor of H3 - the S papers - were introduced was to distinguish a potential overseas scholars from others who also achieved the full distinctions at A Level ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

Hi, mji,

If your dd is already taking 4 H2 subjects and wishes to take H3 subject(s) , you may want to take note of the following.

(1) She should be doing well in her H2 subject ( at least a high B although A grade is preferred) for her to cope with the H3 subject in the same discipline.
(2) H3 subject involves a lot of independent learning and there are lots of materials to read up. It is pitched at the university level.
(3) H3 subjects are used to differentiate students of good ability, for scholarship application purposes and for overseas uni application purposes. It is not meant for local uni, because the university admissions scores does not include the grade for H3 subjects. H3 subjects also allows students with a passion in a certain discipline to learn it at an advanced level
(4) It makes little sense to do H3 unless you are confident of scoring A grades for your H2 subjects in the first place.

Looking at the options listed, option (a) is not very possible because it will exceed the 12 units allowed by MOE. Unless your dd gets approval from MOE to do 13 units, option (a) is out.

Option (b) is the most common for students who are confident of scoring at least 3 As for their H2 subjects and they want to further challenge or differentiate themselves.

Option (c) is not that popular because by doing 3H2 and not 4H2 subjects, you are already giving the impression that you cannot cope with the 4th H2 subject, so why take a much more difficult H3 subject. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 am

It is not advisable to drop econs to H1 because there is little difference in content between H1 and H2 econs, so most students will stick to H2 econs since they are studying just as much. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mjl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks to koguma, verykiasu2010 and MandyMummy for your valuable feedback and the links provided!

MandyMummy - I understand that JCs will allow students to do 2 H3 as long as the student has B and above for the H3-related subjects at H2 level, and C and above for other subjects in the JC1 promos. So I think getting approval to do 13 AUs should not be an issue for many students.

I believe my DD is confident of getting As for H2 Math, H2 Physics and H2 Chemistry, but not that confident of H2 Econs. Not sure if H1 Econs is easier to score an A as compared to H2 Econs (if yes, then we will have motivation to drop Econs to H1).

I heard some H3s are tougher than other H3s e.g. SMU's Game Theory (H3) is tough, while it is not difficult to get a Distinction for NUS' Linear Algebra I (H3).

After reading through the links provided, it is still unclear to me the distinct advantages of taking H3 (other than you can get waiver for those subjects if you choose the same Uni/same discipline in the future). It is the same with the new diploma issued by some JCs - how useful is getting a Diploma with Distincion or Diploma with Merit - would they really matter on top of the 'A' level grades when applying for universities or scholarships?

I think I will ask her to seek advice from her seniors ...

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:52 pm

if you apply to NUS or NTU or SMU, no difference with the diploma

but to the overseas uni, they do make some difference

the respective JCs have been actively marketing their diploma overseas

eg HCI top students can get direct entry to certain uni in China like Beida / Fudan, while RI top students - some of them get unconditional offers from Oxbridge/Ivy league using their school results and diploma
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Getting Bs and Cs for promos is unlikely to get approval to do 13 units. Even at RI, only the very very very top few gets approval, one may need to get perfect score for promos. Many invited to apply based on promo results but almost all rejected by MOE.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby wonderm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:02 pm

MandyMummy,

Can you explain the calculation of the 12 AUs? I know H2 subject counted as 2 AU and H1 and H3 subjects counted as 1 AU each. If the student is exempted from taking Chinese in JC because he cleared HML in Sec 4, is that included as 1 AU when you say maximum 12 AUs? Thanks.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:08 pm

wonderm wrote:MandyMummy,

Can you explain the calculation of the 12 AUs? I know H2 subject counted as 2 AU and H1 and H3 subjects counted as 1 AU each. If the student is exempted from taking Chinese in JC because he cleared HML in Sec 4, is that included as 1 AU when you say maximum 12 AUs? Thanks.

Hi, this link provides a clear explanation on how to calculate 12 units.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... qs-parents

Yes, you are correct in assigning the number of units for H1, H2 and H3 subjects. PW and GP counted as H1 . if you clear HMT in Sec4, it is counted as 1 unit although you are exempted for A levels. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees