Overseas Kids are better?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Re: Overseas Kids are better?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 am

firstly, our local uni are struggling to improve their international ranking, and one of the criteria is the number of foreign students in post grad courses/degree. if there is no foreign students, there is no ranking; if there is no ranking, the VC of the uni won't get promotion and pay increase, cannot meet his kpi, and the respective faculty is doomed. Who would look again at a backwater uni ?

secondly, our singaporeans who are truly of PhD materials are already overseas, why waste time in a "3rd rate" (relatively speaking) asian uni ? they are all in UK or US, Oxbridge or Ivy league. They just continue from their undergrad course on to a 12-mth master followed by PhD, whereas in local u, it takes longer than that. so why waste time ? further more, in UK or US you get more famous professors to supervise you for your research

thirdly, we need to supplement the shortfall in birth rate in SG. these PhD students are ready stock for Singapore, if they stay, and many do stay and become citizens, and contribute to the gene pool as well as contribute to the economy

it is already regularly seen in forum page how difficult and costly to raise a child in singapore, so these "express" imports save lots of pain and money if they stay, direct transplant with guaranteed result in academic performance - the bell curve is skewed toward "high end products"

okay now, sure got people not happy with what I say here. the truth is grim!

siam ah .....................

:siam: :siam: :duck: :duck:

(just some midnite ranting, won't be bothered to enter into any debate with anyone....you all say what you want to say)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 am

insider wrote:understand the need to have 'FT' but this 1:36 ratio is just too difficult to swallow...

that is for econs PhD

frankly, we don't have famous economists to provide new learnings

our worthy citizens are probably already in Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, LBS, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Wharton, Williams, UCLA, Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Berkerly, Insead etc etc

for this type, no need to be so hung up. good for the uni

if it is 1:36 for medicine or law we will be in trouble, and you and I should be at the dean's door banging
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:45 am

insider wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:our worthy citizens are probably already in Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, LBS, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Wharton, Williams, UCLA, Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Berkerly, Insead etc etc

Emmm...I still cannot accept the 1:36 ratio. Surely we have others who cannot make it to those listed above but can try for places in NUS? Did NUS offer to our local eligible students in the first place before giving the 35 places to foreigners?

Those local who leave, most of them are unlikely to return...

I would hazard to guess there is no local applicants except the one, so the uni took on the foreigners for them to learn English ....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

those who took government scholarships will return

my neighbor's gal rejected scholarship from government and prefer to pay her own in a famous uni in UK - yes, not returning, got a good job there

in a globalised world, human talent moves freely

I know of some PRC engineers fast-tracked by US government to become US citizens too
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

perhaps if thouse PRC econ PhD, if not stay after graduation, will be PRC 高官 in future....so there is a need to invest in future network (关系).....

the downside is 1:36, yah, really difficult for locals to swallow, at least "emotionally".
hope the selection criteria for the 36 PRC PhD is strict and fair....

really duno leh, just wild guess.

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby koguma » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 am

insider wrote:I wonder what our NUS (and maybe other U too) are doing...

Reading news like this (without further details available) just make people feel so sick...

日期: 31/10/2011 新闻来源: 新明日报 记者: 叶伟强

网友炮轰没以国人为先 国大36经济博士生 只有1个本地人

国大经济系的36名博士学生中,只有1人是新加坡籍学生,被网友炮轰国大没有以“新加坡人为先”。

日前有网友申诉,据他所观察,新加坡国立大学的经济系共有36名准博士生,当中却只有一人是新加坡籍学生。

网友说:“新加坡学生只占2.8%,这些外国学生无疑是要来争取工作机会的。”

网友提到,之前有不少政治人物都提到要“以新加坡人为优先”,但本地高等学府却显然没有这么做。

国大发言人回复《新明日报》询问时,不愿正面证实网友的传言。

发言人仅表示,有“大部分”的国大硕士及博士学位学生,都是国际学生。

“虽然本地准博士生能得到的津贴是最高的,但很多符合入学标准的本地学生,都没有报读国大博士课程。”

Source: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews/St ... 87226.html

The media should follow up on this report by checking whether there is any Singaporeans who are willingly to study (meet the selection criteria) but not accepted? If there isn't any, then we have ourselves to blame.

The University cannot stop accepting International students just because no deserving Singaporeans wants to study.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MandyMummy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:03 pm

insider wrote:I wonder how the only singaporean feel that he is a 'minority' in his cohort. Perhaps the same as any ordinary Singaporean will feel when one boards an MRT carriage to see that he is the only local in the carriage?

This 1: 36 makes me think again what happened to my country??

PS: Hyperks, the 35 are not only PRC kids but international students.

Actually, in USA, the Americans are also the minority in most PhD courses, but I don't think the ratio is as extreme as 1:36 lah. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:12 pm

insider wrote:I wonder how the only singaporean feel that he is a 'minority' in his cohort. Perhaps the same as any ordinary Singaporean will feel when one boards an MRT carriage to see that he is the only local in the carriage?

This 1: 36 makes me think again what happened to my country??

PS: Hyperks, the 35 are not only PRC kids but international students.

If I were him/her, i would feel i am studying overseas oredi :evil:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:40 pm

it was reported as 1:36

it could have been 72:36

or it could have been 108:36

but seriously, how many want to do econs PhD in Singapore ? who are the local economists with convincing / pioneering research in econ theory to worth the time for others to learn from ?

aren't we also dependent on the angmo-countries domiciled lesser known economists who are willing to work in NUS to come teach our econ students ? those well known economist would rather stay in their Oxbridge & Ivy league campuses and issue their edicts and opinions from there and publish their research findings in those global economist publications than in a NUS journal....do we even have an econ journal ?

what do we have in terms of econs knowledge and tools that is better than others ?

let's do ourselves a service to not delude ourselves. our econ talents and smart economist would serve us better by learning with the world best in Oxbridge and Ivy league

PLEASE do NOT get me wrong. I am not trying to run down NUS. We just don't have it yet. Don't kid ourselves to think too highly of what we ought to

that news article is simply 'bo liao' to me

:siam: :siam: :duck: :duck:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:51 pm

VKS2010, you may be right about the locals not taking up econs PHD in NUS.

However, the thot that my taxpayer's $$ used to partially fund the education institutions ended up funding many more "foreign talents" (in whichever field) simply doesn't make sense to me. Isn't there a control measure somewhere?

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm

insider wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:PLEASE do NOT get me wrong. I am not trying to run down NUS. We just don't have it yet. Don't kid ourselves to think too highly of what we ought to

Ooh...if that's really the case that our local econ PhD is so 'sub standard', then simply don't provide instead of making this 1:36 like a sore thumb sticking out...

don't get in the international students will sink the school's ranking...... :siam: :siam:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees