Questions about ACS IB

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Questions about ACS IB

Postby mintymint » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello all! :smile: i'm 16 this year, and while awaiting my o level results, i'm doing research on the possible jcs/institutions that i could consider going next year. i'm really curious about ACS IB (even after their talk in my sch) and would appreciate it if anyone could answer my questions regarding it. :lol:

1. normally, do O-levels students manage to endure the rigor of the IB and be as good as the ACS boys? (who have probably been taught the 'ACS way' for 4 years) i've had seniors who entered IB breaking down and dropping out due to the overwhelming differences between o levels and IB, and some seniors who quite enjoy their time there. SO, what quality is it that could possibly determine your 'survival' in the rigorous IB?

2. ACS IB produces really really top notch IB results in the world. is that because ACS has a really good way of nurturing their students, or is it because the weaker students end up dropping out, leaving the best students taking the IB exams? or is it because the students will naturally learn to be efficient after getting used to IB life?

3. do IB kids have less of a 'life' than A Levels kids? (since the program is so rigorous)

would appreciate other advice or information on ACS IB too! thanks!!

mintymint
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Questions about ACS IB

Postby rubydoll » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:22 am

Why no one has replied ? I am also one , who waits to know about the ACSI IB diploma.
Hope soon I can see a reply.
Cheers!!!!

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Big Octopus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:37 pm

rubydoll wrote:Why no one has replied ? I am also one , who waits to know about the ACSI IB diploma.
Hope soon I can see a reply.
Cheers!!!!

You can post it in the ACSI IP thread, Autolycus will be more then willing to share. :smile:

Big Octopus
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby rubydoll » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Thank you.

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby anakin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Two of the things 'O' Level students need to get used to are argumentative essay writing and oral defense in IB.

If you have just finished your 'O' Levels, you'd probably be more familiar with narrative composition and not so much critical analysis of issues. The subject that came close to teaching you that, is, surprising, Social Studies.

You also need to be comfortable speaking up in class and in front of your tutors.

These are my knee-jerk reactions as a faculty member in ACS IB programme.

anakin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees