RJC COP and Academic DSA

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby bandmate » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 am

Hi everyone, I'm going to try for RJC next year after my O levels, as far as I know, the cop is 3 points so does it mean that RJC only admits students with HMT? I'm very concerned about this as I don't have HMT as my subject combination..apart from that, does anyone know how the academic dsa for RJC is like? Do they pick students strong only in all subjects tested or strong in one particular subject(like physics) and the ability for this subject is displayed in one of their DSA test? I think I'm much stronger in physics and I hope I can be admitted base on this strength. Help please, thanks a lot.

bandmate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby twilight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 am

They do allow students without HMT to appeal into the school. In fact, they have several places reserved for such cases.

Academic DSA to RI is not easy. There's no tests, but there are interviews. You have to show that you have performed extremely well in the particular domain you have selected. As far as I remember, there's only math olympiad or science research categories under the academic DSA.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby bandmate » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 am

twilight wrote:They do allow students without HMT to appeal into the school. In fact, they have several places reserved for such cases.

Academic DSA to RI is not easy. There's no tests, but there are interviews. You have to show that you have performed extremely well in the particular domain you have selected. As far as I remember, there's only math olympiad or science research categories under the academic DSA.


No tests? So does it mean that i must have some prerequisite certification of good performance in SMO to get into the school? What about the science research categories? Does it mean that i must have some history of partake in science researches? Then after that just interviews? lol. Sorry for asking so much questions lol, as i can't find anyone to consult out there, including my school teachers..

bandmate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby Edureach » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

bandmate wrote:Hi everyone, I'm going to try for RJC next year after my O levels, as far as I know, the cop is 3 points so does it mean that RJC only admits students with HMT? I'm very concerned about this as I don't have HMT as my subject combination..apart from that, does anyone know how the academic dsa for RJC is like? Do they pick students strong only in all subjects tested or strong in one particular subject(like physics) and the ability for this subject is displayed in one of their DSA test? I think I'm much stronger in physics and I hope I can be admitted base on this strength. Help please, thanks a lot.



What twilight had mentioned is that u hve to demonstrate concrete evidence of yr outstanding knowledge in a particular science field via academic or national competitions. At sec 3, there's nothing to talk about science research.

COP for RI, jc1 level science stream is generally 2 pts, ie 6-2-2, 3 is meant for arts and that's partial only. All those without HMT and wish to study there hve to score a minimun of 7 A1s at 0-level including english and place RI as their first choice in jae. At this juncture, is worth to note that by taking this initiative, u must be prepared to choose another jc as yr 2nd choice as HCI(JC) would not entertain yr appeal if its institution is not placed as yr top choice.

The purpose of u going RI is to position yourself to hve the opportunity or undertaking an intern research programme at A* or alternatively to take up a H3 module in "essential of modern physics" as RI/HCI are rather liberal in granting permission for their students to take up H3 module vs-a vs other jcs. If yr intention is not the above nor future scholarship applications(early cycle), then i would recommend NJC and Anderson jc as alternative choices, both of which are famed for their science programmes. In fact unless u also good in yr other subjects and with all the above aspirations if not do consider the alternative jcs.


In summary, only the best 0-level students should study in RI(JC) for the above purpose. If yr sole objective is to secure a spot in yr chosen course in one of our local unis, my recommendation is not to go RI. In the meantime, go and concentrate to secure all yr As.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 am

Edureach wrote:
COP for RI, jc1 level science stream is generally 2 pts, ie 6-2-2, 3 is meant for arts and that's partial only.


:yikes: Gosh!! standards have gone up again? I remember about 3 years back, Sc stream was 3 points and Arts stream 4 points to apply for RI(JC)... Geesh... :scared:
Guest
 


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby twilight » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 pm

It's still partial 3, but hardly anyone with 3 will be able to get into RI.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby micko07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Edureach wrote:What twilight had mentioned is that u hve to demonstrate concrete evidence of yr outstanding knowledge in a particular science field via academic or national competitions. At sec 3, there's nothing to talk about science research.

If yr intention is not the above nor future scholarship applications(early cycle), then i would recommend NJC and Anderson jc as alternative choices, both of which are famed for their science programmes. In fact unless u also good in yr other subjects and with all the above aspirations if not do consider the alternative jcs.


I'm fairly sure Sec 3 students can participate in the Science Mentorship Programme (Organized by MOE Gifted Education Branch) or the Nanyang Research Programme.

I don't particularly recall NJ and AJ as having very outstanding science programmes vis a vis other schools like VJ, TJ, ACJC etc (although AJ has very formidable math papers indeed) but then again I was an Arts students. I don't see how OP's ability in his other subjects relates to his JC choice though - he would still have to take them regardless of where he goes, unless you're implying that they are more challenging in RJ.

I can't find any information regarding RI(JC)'s DSA admission policies and criteria, but looking at HCI's, for sciences (academic), they consider either a) Olympiad results + research or b) Personal portfoilo + achievements/ awards in competitions. The former is probably more impressive, but I think the latter is easier to achieve because you have more options. I'd definitely go for building a portfolio to show a strength in sciences rather than an all-round approach (although you do need decent grades in other subjects too).

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby Edureach » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi micko07!

Prospective jc student is inquring about dsa criteria to RI so let us stick closely to this premier institution instead of giving HCI as an example. Just don't want to be out of pt.

Personally i feel your opinion of building one's porfolio centered on physics in this instance is a rather risky one even for a high ability student just for the sake of entry to RI. Both of us knw that for entrance to local unis, an applicant is assessed base on the score of 4 content subjects + GP +PW. How on the earth is he/she going to be admitted to their course of choice even if one has scored a distinction for the H3 module? This student will likely be pawned by many students vying for the same course. Moreover, no one really knows exactly how much weightage RI will be giving to the portfolio. There are approximately 300 places available in RI via the jae and succesful applicants are expected to hve nett of 2 pts, meaning only those with HMT n distinction in cca will be admitted the rest hve to appeal even it is 9 straight A!s!

The word 'research' is loosely use by many nowadays. Personally what u hve outlined earlier are strictly speaking junior internship programmes. As for the science programme in NJC n Anderson jc, i consider they are pretty gd at least more than adequate in preperation for A-level exam. U just hve to take a look at their 2010 A-level exam results, both are value added schs. Base on value added, they compare favourably to all the others u had mentioned. In this instance, we are also addressing the issue of proximity whereby both NJC n Anderson jc are closer to RI than all the others u had mentioned.

In conclusion, much as to the young student expires to be admitted to RI, there are many other considerations which are just or even more critical.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby bandmate » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:28 am

Edureach wrote:
bandmate wrote:Hi everyone, I'm going to try for RJC next year after my O levels, as far as I know, the cop is 3 points so does it mean that RJC only admits students with HMT? I'm very concerned about this as I don't have HMT as my subject combination..apart from that, does anyone know how the academic dsa for RJC is like? Do they pick students strong only in all subjects tested or strong in one particular subject(like physics) and the ability for this subject is displayed in one of their DSA test? I think I'm much stronger in physics and I hope I can be admitted base on this strength. Help please, thanks a lot.



What twilight had mentioned is that u hve to demonstrate concrete evidence of yr outstanding knowledge in a particular science field via academic or national competitions. At sec 3, there's nothing to talk about science research.

COP for RI, jc1 level science stream is generally 2 pts, ie 6-2-2, 3 is meant for arts and that's partial only. All those without HMT and wish to study there hve to score a minimun of 7 A1s at 0-level including english and place RI as their first choice in jae. At this juncture, is worth to note that by taking this initiative, u must be prepared to choose another jc as yr 2nd choice as HCI(JC) would not entertain yr appeal if its institution is not placed as yr top choice.

The purpose of u going RI is to position yourself to hve the opportunity or undertaking an intern research programme at A* or alternatively to take up a H3 module in "essential of modern physics" as RI/HCI are rather liberal in granting permission for their students to take up H3 module vs-a vs other jcs. If yr intention is not the above nor future scholarship applications(early cycle), then i would recommend NJC and Anderson jc as alternative choices, both of which are famed for their science programmes. In fact unless u also good in yr other subjects and with all the above aspirations if not do consider the alternative jcs.


In summary, only the best 0-level students should study in RI(JC) for the above purpose. If yr sole objective is to secure a spot in yr chosen course in one of our local unis, my recommendation is not to go RI. In the meantime, go and concentrate to secure all yr As.


Thanks for your information, and yes i wish to study h3 physics, and currently i have already finished learning the O-levels physics by myself and have already started reading up on A levels physics, my current combination is triple science..how many slots do you think is reserved for students without HMT? As for science researches i think i have participated in some this year, but didn't really won anything..

bandmate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: RJC COP and Academic DSA

Postby bandmate » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:46 am

Edureach wrote: There are approximately 300 places available in RI via the jae and succesful applicants are expected to hve nett of 2 pts, meaning only those with HMT n distinction in cca will be admitted the rest hve to appeal even it is 9 straight A!s!

In conclusion, much as to the young student expires to be admitted to RI, there are many other considerations which are just or even more critical.


Wow lol, sounds that my chances are quite low, quite disappointing but i'll still try though, i'll hope for the O levels next year will be harder so that they'll consider my score, hopefully..

bandmate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees