JC or Poly?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

JC or Poly?

Postby Blaster009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Dear fellow seniors,

Similar to this post, http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 40&t=29552,
I have recently completed my GCE 'O' Levels and am awaiting my results. I expect my L1R5 to be around 8-10. With a 2 point deduction from my CCA, that would be a net score of about 6-8, perhaps enough to get me into a decent JC.

I also wish to study Medicine but it is extremely difficult with less than 300 places a year. I come from a middle income group and may not have the liberty to study overseas. However, honestly speaking, I would rather achieve my goals based on my own merit than rely on my family.

Thus, I have been contemplating the alternative route to Polytechnic. I am thinking of entering the Biomedical Science Course in Ngee Ann Polytechnic which has a COP of 9. During that 3 years I am aiming to get the NYAA Gold Award whilst volunteering at local hospitals for more experience (Not sure if they would offer much experience though). I believe in holistic development as well. Interning overseas would also be another option during my second year and I would like to apply for the school's scholarship programme to improve my portfolio.

I have yet to think of where i would go if either route were to fail. For now I would just like to know which choice would actually help me achieve my goal more realistically. Thanks!! :smile:

Blaster009
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: JC or Poly?

Postby Phancc » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Based on your ambition your should go to a jc and ace your grades ere. Then your o level grades may be less important. Dont compromise on your dreams and trying hard.

Phancc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Blaster009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Thank you!! :D

Blaster009
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby KiasuNotEnough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 am

Yes. For medicine, the better route is still thru jc, though poly is getting more interesting.....

KiasuNotEnough
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pepper spice » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:34 am

Blaster009, I do not have the necessary information to advice you, but I am glad that at age 16, you are matured and sensible and has started planning your future, and kudos for wanting to achieve your goals based on your own merit. (I used to earn my own upkeep during university days by giving tuitions, it is manageable, not difficult to juggle school and work if you manage your time well.).
So here's wishing you all the best in your endeavours, 有志者,事竟成,百尺竿头,更进一步。

pepper spice
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Blaster009 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 pm

@KiasuNotEnough I concur! Thats why i have been contemplating about it :/ Still getting feedback though!

@pepper spice Thanks :D Thats what my dad used to do in this university days as well!!

Hope there are others in the polytechnic field who can give feedback!!

Blaster009
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schweppes » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Blaster009 wrote:I have yet to think of where i would go if either route were to fail. For now I would just like to know which choice would actually help me achieve my goal more realistically. Thanks!! :smile:

My advice would be to attend the respective ploys and JC open house in Jan. That is the best time to enquire and find out more. Talk to the lecturers and administrators. Find out as much as you can.

The thing is there is no guarantee - even with sterling results that an "A" poly grad or an "A" JC student may attain - that one will get a place in NUS Med Sch. Besides grades, it also depends on the students' CCA records, interview performance and other factors.

It's good that you have a goal in mind. I am also impressed that you have thought about how you can enhance your portfolio to value-add your case. But at the same time, it's important to keep your options open. You might even want to seek advice from the Med Sch, tho I doubt they will reveal much.

All the best in your decision making

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blaster009 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Thank you! Much appreciated reply! I'll try my best and make the right decision :D

Blaster009
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby meinteel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Junior colleges prepares you well for university education. Furthermore, a good A level score is more likely to open doors to government scholarships (4-6 years bond to sg govt) or university scholarships (no bond).

Furthermore, junior colleges also have exchange programs. My college for example sent students to Cambridge for a month, lodging & food provided. Subsidised by MOE, school and the remaining raised by the students through some fund raising activities. Such activities will greatly improve your standing and give you topics during admissions interview.

Several colleges also set up internship programs during Nov Dec holidays for outstanding students. Several students have also volunteered at hospitals and private clinics (free or otherwise) to pick up medical skills/knowledge.

Such actions will be highly admirable and will greatly improve your chances for admission.

One point to note, many banks in Singapore offer education loan - even for overseas universities. Interest rates are low, and you can opt to start paying back only after graduation. Most overseas universities would usually be more than willing to help their students arrange for part-time jobs etc than so as to pay for other expenses.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Blaster009 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 am

@meinteel Thank you so much!!! JC is the best bet I guess! The information provided was really useful :) I'll keep it all in mind!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Blaster009
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees