Deciding the right JC - please help!!

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Deciding the right JC - please help!!

Postby Saza » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 am

Hi parents!

I just received my O level results today, and I got 12 points. After deduction of CCA and HMT, its 8 points.

Im considering MJC, but it doesn't have Knowledge and Inquiry (KI) which is a subject I really, really want to do. Is there a way to take KI outside school? I got a1 for English so I think it'll be alright. Also, is KI not recognised by some prestigous universities overseas?

I also considered NYJC, which has KI, but it does not have a debate team and its very far from my home in the East. I already made up my mind to join debate in JC though. What is NYJC's culture? Is it similar to MJC?

I'm wondering if I should even bother appealing into VJC? Would they look into CCA achievements as well?

My results are as follows:
English-A1
Combined Humanities (SS&E.HIS) - A2
Pure Geography - A2
Mathematics - A2
A.Maths - B3
Chemistry - C5
Biology - B3
HML - A2
Malay - A2

Also, can u advise me on this subject combination which I'm keen on taking.
H2 Geog, H2 Econs, H2 Maths, KI, PW, MTL
Is it too heavy?

Thank you so so much for your help!!! :smile:

Saza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Deciding the right JC - please help!!

Postby MadScientist » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

Congratulations for a wonderful set of results... Your parent should be proud of you.

Go do what you REALLY want to do... That's the only way you will excel and sustain yourself. It is about YOU... Not about fame, prestige, or what others say.

I'll leave with with this...
The next step is just the beginning of a journey, not the end of the journey. Find what your heart and mind desires, and make it your destiny.

All the best in your exciting journey ahead!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby contact12 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Saza,

Regarding KI, it is a subject closer to philosophy. A distinction in English is a necessary but insufficient condition for taking the subject. I notice that your humanities subjects are A2 and this may put you at a disadvantage in KI. You will also be ranked at the 'A' levels with a small selected group of top students, mainly from RI (JC) and HI and it will be more difficult for you to secure a good grade for your KI. Will be better to take other H2 subjects and stick to GP.

Don't waste your time appealing to VJC.

MJC puts in a great emphasis on academic performance and the students normally do well enough to move on to the university. As to how the college does it, you should do some research and talk to the former students about it. Personally, I will favour MJC more than NYJC because of the high value added scores that the former produces.

contact12
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Saza wrote:Hi parents!

I just received my O level results today, and I got 12 points. After deduction of CCA and HMT, its 8 points.

Im considering MJC, but it doesn't have Knowledge and Inquiry (KI) which is a subject I really, really want to do. Is there a way to take KI outside school? I got a1 for English so I think it'll be alright. Also, is KI not recognised by some prestigous universities overseas?

I also considered NYJC, which has KI, but it does not have a debate team and its very far from my home in the East. I already made up my mind to join debate in JC though. What is NYJC's culture? Is it similar to MJC?

I'm wondering if I should even bother appealing into VJC? Would they look into CCA achievements as well?

My results are as follows:
English-A1
Combined Humanities (SS&E.HIS) - A2
Pure Geography - A2
Mathematics - A2
A.Maths - B3
Chemistry - C5
Biology - B3
HML - A2
Malay - A2

Also, can u advise me on this subject combination which I'm keen on taking.
H2 Geog, H2 Econs, H2 Maths, KI, PW, MTL
Is it too heavy?

Thank you so so much for your help!!! :smile:

Good that MadScientist has made a positive assessment of the circumstances u are in now.

Proposed recommendation:
1. Temasek jc - The new principal previously hailed from AJC, was herself the pioneer batch of HCJC Humanities scholar. Woman of substance indeed. This jc also has a debating club.

2. Meridian jc
3. CJC

You will get posted to Meridian, so need to make an appeal to Temasek.

Subject combination: H2 Econs, H2 Geog, H2 KI, H2 Lit/Hist. H1 PW, MT. Total 10 academic units and is managable for u. The reason for dropping H2 Maths in this instance is u will be facing a squad of jc students with at least 75% having scored distinctions in maths not to mention very stiff competition from IP students.

Do not be fooled into believing advises that just hve to work hard for maths and u should do well. Just ask yourself are they around to answer for this type of wrong decision? Too many mistakes occur yearly in subject combinations. Always remember that just one screw up in one of your H2 components and u will say goodbye to NUS,NTU and SMU. Moreover you hve also met the maths entrance requirement for business schools and humanities falculty.

Hope that common sense shall prevail. Best wishes.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Saza » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Oh i see. Thanks all for the contributions. I think I have decided to not take KI anymore an take 4H2 instead.
So, I was wondering, since I have not taken English Literature in secondary school, would it be a very big and difficult transition if I were to take it in JC?
Also, I would like to find out if H2 Biology is very difficult, because even though I got b3 for Bio in the O levels, Im quite interested in it.

Thanks again! Cheers :D

Saza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Edureach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 am

Saza wrote:Oh i see. Thanks all for the contributions. I think I have decided to not take KI anymore an take 4H2 instead.
So, I was wondering, since I have not taken English Literature in secondary school, would it be a very big and difficult transition if I were to take it in JC?
Also, I would like to find out if H2 Biology is very difficult, because even though I got b3 for Bio in the O levels, Im quite interested in it.

Thanks again! Cheers :D

Firstly, my recommendation is that u take 3H2 + 1 h1 instead as 4h2 is too demanding for u. Anw, 2nd tier jcs will not allow u to take 4H2 given yr raw score. Moreover u need to spend additional 3.5 hrs weekly due to MT.

You are more arts inclined than science. Forget about biology unless u think u can score an A and contributes to yr UAS. Must remember that biology must go with chemistry or physics as is useless as a stand alone subject unless for the former purpose. It's definately the least amongst the three.

Given yr good english grade, u should hve no problem taking H2 lit even u did not attempt it at 0-level. Since u hve decided not to attempt KI, yr prospective combination should be like H2 Econs, Geog, Lit/Hist, H1 Maths, GP, PW, MT. Make a decision whether u wish to pursue Lit or Hist as u need a contrasting subject in maths.

A-levels is a different ball game altogether and apart from a much higher degree of dificulties u will also be facing stiff competition frm an addition of 3000 IP students.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Saza » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 am

Ah I see. Okay, but as I have taken higher mother tongue for o levels and got a distinction for it, I need not take it again for a levels.

Yes I think I've decided to take biology either because I cannot do chemistry nor physics and my bio isn't very strong.

Actually the reason I want to take 4H2 is because it would increase my chances of getting a scholarship. A 3H2 and 1H1 would stand a smaller chance. Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Saza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Saza » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 am

I mean I've decided to NOT take biology either

Saza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:02 am

Hi I wanted to tap on this thread.

My niece has 12 points nett and is thinking to choose either SRJC or TPJC?

Her house is 10 mins away from SRJC. While TPJC will require longer travelling time. Pls advise. Thanks.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Edureach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 am

MMM wrote:Hi I wanted to tap on this thread.

My niece has 12 points nett and is thinking to choose either SRJC or TPJC?

Her house is 10 mins away from SRJC. While TPJC will require longer travelling time. Pls advise. Thanks.

Reply to u first as u are a senior member.

Students that made it from a lower tier jc are those with discipline and determination as the sucess rate ranges from 45-60%

SRJC has an excellent track record for PW taken at jc1 whereas TPJC is ahead slightly academically.

As distance is critical, opt for SRJC.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees