I need help for determining subjects (JC)?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

I need help for determining subjects (JC)?

Postby thekiasustudent » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 am

Hi all!

I have just received my 'O'-Level results and am intending to enter into the arts stream for JCs.

I have a few queries, I hope some of you may be able to address!

1. University

How far do the subjects you take in JC affect the course you are able to take in a university?
(That is, if I am not intending to take 'history' in university - is the subject worth taking? Just an example.)

2. Economics

How is this subject like?
Does it involve a lot of memorising and 'rote learning'? I'
ve actually had many seniors tell me that economics is one of the subjects they loathe the most and that they regret taking this subject. Any idea on what kind of students can most suitably cope with the demands of the subject?

3. Knowledge and Inquiry as contrasting subject

Any idea how this subject works? Am interested to take this as my contrasting subject (No math for me, please?)
Especially for VJC - is the criteria for taking this subject really strict, and what are the requirements?

4. Theatre Studies

Another subject that VJC offers that seem so foreign to me. Anyone has particular experiences of theatre studies to tell of?

Wow, I would really appreciate if someone could help me a little with this.

Thank you so much!

thekiasustudent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: I need help for determining subjects (JC)?

Postby Chongalicia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 am

Congrats on graduating from the sec!! How many points did u get?

Chongalicia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zacharykieran » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm

thekiasustudent wrote:Hi all!

I have just received my 'O'-Level results and am intending to enter into the arts stream for JCs.

I have a few queries, I hope some of you may be able to address!

1. University

How far do the subjects you take in JC affect the course you are able to take in a university?
(That is, if I am not intending to take 'history' in university - is the subject worth taking? Just an example.)

2. Economics

How is this subject like?
Does it involve a lot of memorising and 'rote learning'? I'
ve actually had many seniors tell me that economics is one of the subjects they loathe the most and that they regret taking this subject. Any idea on what kind of students can most suitably cope with the demands of the subject?

3. Knowledge and Inquiry as contrasting subject

Any idea how this subject works? Am interested to take this as my contrasting subject (No math for me, please?)
Especially for VJC - is the criteria for taking this subject really strict, and what are the requirements?

4. Theatre Studies

Another subject that VJC offers that seem so foreign to me. Anyone has particular experiences of theatre studies to tell of?

Wow, I would really appreciate if someone could help me a little with this.

Thank you so much!

1. This really depends on the course itself. Do look at courses you're interested on uni websites and you'll find subject prerequisites for the specific courses. For instance Law usually has no compulsory subjects you have to study at A level, whereas Economics courses usually require H2 Math.

2. Yup Econs is not easy! But it's not the memory-work that's tough, rather, you're assessed on your ability to apply economic theory to real-world situations and problems, and just regurgitating economic concepts won't get you really far in terms of marks. Quite difficult to master at first, but I think it is very rewarding. Honestly I don't think there's very much to memorize in Econs, relative to your other arts subjects.

3. This subject replaces General Paper. I haven't taken this subject, but do note that if you're thinking of applying to UK unis in the future, most schools state that 'General Studies and Critical Thinking (their equivalent of GP & KI) do not form part of an offer'. Which means that it's likely that you'll have to count on your other H2 grades when applying.

4. Sorry haven't taken this subject either, so I can't comment!

zacharykieran
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby meinteel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 am

1. H1 Maths is required for all business, economics, engineering & science courses. Respective science courses require H2 or at least H1 of that science e.g. BioChemical will require both biology & Chemistry at A Levels.

Humanities like History & Literature in universities do not have any requirements.

However, taking up subjects like History will really benefit you. The style of writing taught in these subjects will help to develop your answering techniques at the university level.

2. Economics is a very unique subject. It is lovable yet hated by many. Each question tests a few kinds of concepts and there are so many ways you may choose to develop the answer - all of which can be high distinction answers yet they may contradict one another in predictions of what may happen.

At GCE A Level, Economics is mostly concepts intensive with a few graphs and "mathematical equations". Students would be expected to be updated with economic development in major economics (namely UK & USA) and locally.

At the university level, Economics will be full blown especially if you are considering UK universities. Expect to have a mathematical equations leading to graphs and then explained by concepts and examples.

A very rewarding and exciting subject - I know because Im doing it now.

3. KI is a very difficult subject. It is said to be equal to that of NUS's year 1 philosophy. Most JCs require a minimum of A1 for English at O Levels plus students to take a aptitude test, attend an interview and have a raw score of under 9 points.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 pm

meinteel wrote:1. H1 Maths is required for all business, economics, engineering & science courses. Respective science courses require H2 or at least H1 of that science e.g. BioChemical will require both biology & Chemistry at A Levels.

Humanities like History & Literature in universities do not have any requirements.

However, taking up subjects like History will really benefit you. The style of writing taught in these subjects will help to develop your answering techniques at the university level.

2. Economics is a very unique subject. It is lovable yet hated by many. Each question tests a few kinds of concepts and there are so many ways you may choose to develop the answer - all of which can be high distinction answers yet they may contradict one another in predictions of what may happen.

At GCE A Level, Economics is mostly concepts intensive with a few graphs and "mathematical equations". Students would be expected to be updated with economic development in major economics (namely UK & USA) and locally.

At the university level, Economics will be full blown especially if you are considering UK universities. Expect to have a mathematical equations leading to graphs and then explained by concepts and examples.

A very rewarding and exciting subject - I know because Im doing it now.

3. KI is a very difficult subject. It is said to be equal to that of NUS's year 1 philosophy. Most JCs require a minimum of A1 for English at O Levels plus students to take a aptitude test, attend an interview and have a raw score of under 9 points.

Sorry I have to correct you regarding some important information.

All engineering courses require H2 Maths + H2 Physics or (some and) H2 Chemistry.

All computing courses require H2 Maths.

All science courese require H2 Maths (with a few exceptions).

Medicine requires H2 Chemistry + H2 Biology or H2 Physics

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Chiamster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Is it possible to do H2 biology although dd has not done biology in O levels?

Chiamster
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FrekiWang » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Chiamster wrote:Is it possible to do H2 biology although dd has not done biology in O levels?

No. Even for H1, you have to do at least biology combine science in O levels. For H2 biology, the requirement is in general a B3-C6 for pure biology or a A2-B3 combine science with biology

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees