Recommendation for retake O level

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Recommendation for retake O level

Postby xiaotiantian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:16 am

Any recommendation for good and reputable private school or tuition centre to help for retaking O level. Please help.

Thanks

xiaotiantian
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Recommendation for retake O level

Postby kitty2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm

xiaotiantian wrote:Any recommendation for good and reputable private school or tuition centre to help for retaking O level. Please help.

Thanks

How about MDIS?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I suggest you come up with your own self-study schedule and hire experienced tutors to help you revise. You can engage ex or current teachers, or experienced full-time tutors.

I have some misgivings about the teachers in the private schools. I'm not sure whether they are in touch with the syllabus. One of my students who had attended a private school told me that her teacher gave her a lot of irrelevant information and did not teach her how to answer exam questions.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 pm

hmmmm, Mdm Koh, it will be nice to have the money to hire sch teachers or ex-sch teachers to teach all the subjects.

I agree to come up with a self-study schedule and make sure you stick to it and very discipline.

Will the school allow you to go back to school for classes? Pride aside.... why not.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am

Lynn2010 wrote:hmmmm, Mdm Koh, it will be nice to have the money to hire sch teachers or ex-sch teachers to teach all the subjects.

Lynn, I think it will be money well-spent if the student gets the right tutors. Besides, the fees at private schools are not cheap. A 5-subject combi at MDIS costs more than $6,000 (excluding assessment books). The cost will shoot up if she needs to take more subjects. She also won't be getting one-to-one help in the private school, as she will be in a class with many other students.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby meinteel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 am

I agree with Mdm Koh. Most private schools charge extremely high rates. Heard that their standards is very low, so be prepared to drop like 2 grades from the school's prelim. It is probably better to join reputable tuition classes for your subjects and have one or two private tutors to focus own your weaker subjects.

Most importantly, you have to study everyday on your own and do lots of practices. Buy assessments, past year papers and TYS and complete them. Many repeat candidates make the mistake that they think they know and thus need less time to study. That is not true, because if it was, you wouldnt be retaking in the first place. Learn and do every chapter as if it was your first time. Study smarter and more diligently because you are already disadvantaged by a year.

Jia you!

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joycetyh23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

How many subjects are u going to retake? I heard that a private school named penciltutor is not bad. They have been guiding students to retake O levels for about 10 years. Maybe u can consider that.

Joycetyh23
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees