HELP! Which JC should I go to with L1R5 7 pts nett?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

HELP! Which JC should I go to with L1R5 7 pts nett?

Postby indecisive » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am

Hello, I am new to the forums so please pardon me :)
I have attained a nett score of 7 points for my O levels.
However, I still do not know which JC to choose.
I live in the North-East and I'm currently choosing among these:
1) AJC
2) MJC
3) NYJC
4) SAJC
5) TJC

Would you recommend that I take up the science or arts stream in JC? What options am I offered (in terms of Uni courses) if I take science/arts?
I have thought of taking the BCME combination but am afraid that Chemistry would be hard for me to handle as I was always failing (or borderline pass) it in Secondary School.
I have no interest in taking H2 Geography in JC, as I heard that it is very content heavy and hard and well.. I do not feel like taking it.

Also, I am not exactly a fast learner so I guess I am considered a slow learner. I am also lazy, sadly. I don't suppose I have much self-discipline too. I also lack prioritizing skills. Which JC's environment do you think suit me most? I don't wish to study all the way, I hope to have some time for fun and games too.

Please advise me! Thank you so much!
Last edited by indecisive on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indecisive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: HELP! Which JC should I go to with L1R5 7 pts nett?

Postby ugoh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:38 am

Your Chemistry grade might not allow you to offer it at H2 for those JCs. Please check. I know that AJC requires B3 or better. If you are unsure, consider NYJC as they offer large range of choices for subject combinations including hybrid combinations (Science/Arts).

ugoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby take_that » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 am

Honestly... with a C5 for Chemistry, I don't think you should take H2 Chem.
Not only it seems that you cannot cope with the amount of work you need to put in, you don't quite have a genuine interest in the subject, do you?
I would recommend arts stream. In uni you could consider law, business, political science and other social sciences etc.
A possible subject combination could be:
H2 Econs
H2 Literature
H2 Mathematics
H1 Geography.
I would say that you have a high chance of countering serious problems coping with H2 Bio and Chem.
Also, you will have to work really hard for H2 Mathematics. It's no joke.
I wouldn't recommend my school which is AJC.
AJ maths papers are, I dare say, the hardest among all JCs'.
And it's a really boring school so you might wanna consider SA or NY for "some fun".
But you need to know that you cannot survive JC the same way you did the O's.
REALLY.

take_that
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby indecisive » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 am

Thank you all for your replies. Currently thinking of arts stream now..

indecisive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:25 pm

With your results, you are more suited for Arts stream.
I recommend you take something like H2 English Literature, H2 Geography, H2 Econs, H1 Maths. You also seem to be stronger in languages compared to Sciences. You might want to consider H2 ELL.

Yes, H2 Geography has a lot of heavy content. But think on the brighter side - as long as you familiarise yourself with the content, you can score. It's not so much of application like Econs or English Lit. Moreover you've got an A2 for Pure Geog, which shows you already have a strong foundation. There are many who take H2 Geog but didn't take Pure Geog in Sec School, and are still able to do well.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tkbd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Based on your studying style, it seems that you really need to find a school which is nearer to your house and easily accessible - so as to save travel time and hence more time to study. Since you're in the North-East, you should consider NYJC since getting there is easy by MRT. The environment there is also very conducive - you can stay back in school to study after class.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby indecisive » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you all!

indecisive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 365psych » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 pm

MJC is the best choice. Cool teachers and students. Don't even consider AJC and NYJC.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jera » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:01 pm

hi indecisive, i think if u are not sure of whether to take h2 anot, u can try my sch.. :] TJC offers 4 h2 when u just enter e sch, so at e mid year test, if u realise u cant cope with 4h2, u can drop.. at least if offers u a choice coz no matter what 4h2 allow u to be in a position to fight for scholarships or any special programme ..:)

Jera
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

365psych and Jera, there's no point of talking about which JC to go anymore. The JAE application process has closed on 13 Jan afternoon.

And, I disagree with 365psych...

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees