Can this score get into TJC?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Can this score get into TJC?

Postby jame12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi
My son obtained raw score of 10 and net score of 6 for 'o' levels. With this score, do you think he will be able to get into TJC science stream?

The booklet listed TJC cutoff as 6 points. So, will everyone who applies with this point get in?

Is anyone familiar with TJC to comment about its culture, teaching standard, emphasis on independant learning or not, chances of doing well in A levels?

How does it compare with other JCs in the east?

Thanks.

jame12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Can this score get into TJC?

Postby tkbd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Your child's may or may not get in since his score is very marginal. Because the current cut-off point is based on 2011's JAE. It depends on whether TJC has been improving in the past year. If yes, the COP may go further down to 5 and he can't enter. If it remains at 6, your child has a high chance of entering, though there's a chance too that he'll be disappointed - if it happens most who applied for the school this year got below 6 then they'll get priority.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 365psych » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Science stream teaching and faculty in most JC's is pretty much the same. And MANY students who have done well in O Levels, continue to get tuition despite being in top or bottom ranked schools. Apply based on distance, then whittle it down to preference. TJC is OK la, but you might want to consider TPJC. Good faculty!

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JanePang » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Jamie,

I think TJC is a very good college (definitely better than TPJC in my opinion, sorry 365psych)! The Science department owns two copyrights - THINKCycle (pedagogy for their IP), and also a card game called SynTactic which is used to teach organic Chemistry I think. I heard this card game is also used in Science classes in other JCs. Definitely a strong teaching team.

TJC is well-known for their caring culture and dedicated tutors. Their A level results has been consistently excellent - I remember they appeared on the frontpage of Straits Times last year, and one of the six top scorers in Singapore was from TJC.

I hope he gets into TJC! Good luck!

JanePang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby crystalskyes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

There is a chance he might/might not.
Sometimes, their cut-off point go to a partial 6.
Meaning, only some with a net aggregate of 6 pts get in.
This is advantageous to your child as his net aggregate of 6 is aided by his 4 bonus pts (probably from HCL and CCA grade).
Eg. A student with net aggregate of 8-2=6 is worse off than a student with net aggregate of 10-4=6.
Basically, if 2 students get the same net aggregate, the distinguishing factor would be their number of bonus points.

I have to mention this but I am pretty sure I will get into TJC becoz my net aggregate score is 5. That is well below the required net score of 6 to get into Science stream.

crystalskyes
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jame12 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks everybody for posting replies and encouragement. It really helps.

Crytstalskyes, is what you mentioned about priority given to those with more bonus points documented anywhere. I had always thought that they would give priority to those with score=6 without bonus point, then those with 1 bpt, followed by 2 bpts etc. Essentially, the reverse of what you mentioned.

so, if what you say is true, then I am indeed quite glad that all the time he spent on cca and hcl has finally come back to help him.

JanePang, thanks for sharing about the innovations by TJC. We are also happy to hear your confirmation of the caring culture there. We had heard otherwise from others and are quite concerned.

365psych, TJC would be nearer than TPJC. Thanks for the reminder.

keeping our fingers crossed for the next 12 hours.... Hope to receive good news.

jame12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby twilight » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:23 pm

jame12 wrote:Thanks everybody for posting replies and encouragement. It really helps.

Crytstalskyes, is what you mentioned about priority given to those with more bonus points documented anywhere. I had always thought that they would give priority to those with score=6 without bonus point, then those with 1 bpt, followed by 2 bpts etc. Essentially, the reverse of what you mentioned.

so, if what you say is true, then I am indeed quite glad that all the time he spent on cca and hcl has finally come back to help him.

I don't think it's mentioned anywhere directly in black and white. The JAE booklet merely says allocation is by merit. So it can be looked at in 2 ways. The person who has a lower raw score is better because he has better grades. Or the person who has a lower nett score is better because he passed HMT and excelled in CCA. In any case, inside sources have said that people with more bonus points are given priority in the JAE queue. So the raw score essentially plays no role. It is the nett that matters. If 2 person has 4 points, with the first having 6 raw and second having 8 raw, the second person will have priority because he had 4 bonus points. Which is why people without HMT are at a further disadvantage. Not only can they not have -2, they are also placed behind in the JAE queue.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jame12 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

Just to update what I found in the JAE handbook concerning posting procedure:

6 Posting Procedure
6.1 Applicants are posted to a course based on merit first according to their net aggregate scores (taking into account the various bonus points for which the applicants are eligible for).
Applicant with better net aggregate [delete] will be considered for admission first, subject to the availability of vacancies in the selected course. If there is no more vacancy, then the applicant will be considered for his/her next choice course(s).

6.2 Applicants with the same net aggregate score vying for the last place in a course will be posted based on their citizenship followed by their gross aggregate score. The posting of candidates with the same gross aggregate score will be determined by a computerised ballot where each candidate is given an equal opportunity.

So, it looks like when 2 candidates have the same aggregate/net score, the bonus points don't count anymore. Rather, it is the citizenship followed by the gross score that matters.

In summary, gross score ends up being the final wild card that seals the result.

Twilight, I still hope that what you mentioned from inside sources is accurate, which will favour those who have put in extra effort in HML and CCA. Thanks.

jame12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees