SUBJECT COMBI

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

SUBJECT COMBI

Postby happykidzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm

hi I'm a student and I currently can't decide between taking bio chem math geog or bio chem math econs,all h2

pls help!

happykidzz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: SUBJECT COMBI

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm

econ has more value in the general commercial world than geog.

what line of work you intend to join when you graduate?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm

happykidzz wrote:hi I'm a student and I currently can't decide between taking bio chem math geog or bio chem math econs,all h2

pls help!

If you can answer tankee's question, do disregard my post.

If not, consider the following suggestion:

1. Hve you taken pure geog or at least at elective level and obtained a distinction? If your answer is yes, opt for H2 geog. Reason is it is a safer option and your combi tells me that you are probably keen to read medicine. Must hve v gd grades! If not procceed to question 2.

2. Go to popular bookstore and read econs bks to get a feel. Also turn on to CNBC and Bloomsberg and listen to the commentators from different walks. Ask yourself are you interested in economic affairs both local and international? Are you interested in financial markets?

You will hve made an informed decision. Best wishes.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby happykidzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm

tankee wrote:econ has more value in the general commercial world than geog.

what line of work you intend to join when you graduate?

well i am interested in architecture and dentistry, which is hard to enter.
so i've thought of doing something business/accountancy related as another option if i don't get into archi/dentistry
would econs be useful/impt/necessary?

also i'm taking bio which is content-heavy already, geog wld add on more content. however, econs is difficult to score and i am not confident of doing well for it

happykidzz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby happykidzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:11 pm

I've taken geog in sec sch and I scored ok-ish, but I think the reason might be because I always started late in revising

i don't mind learning about economic affairs! that's why i can't decide...

thanks!

happykidzz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

happykidzz wrote:I've taken geog in sec sch and I scored ok-ish, but I think the reason might be because I always started late in revising

i don't mind learning about economic affairs! that's why i can't decide...

thanks!

At jc level, generally, the humanities students are the tops in all humanities subjects. For those who are arts inclined, they are able to score at least an A2 at 0-level without much mugging. That's the standard!

For econs, if you hve done well in combine humanities and you do hve a strong foundation in maths(though maths is not tested in A-level econs), plus at least a B3 in english, you are a suitable candiate.

Everyone starts on a clean slate, so need not worry!

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby happykidzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

i'm not an o level student. :-) are you sort of encouraging me to take geography?

happykidzz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 365psych » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

form your subject combination based on your passion and interest. Geog, although not as 'useful' as econs has many merits in understanding our environment, pollution, urban excess and human migration.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby happykidzz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:32 pm

365psych wrote:form your subject combination based on your passion and interest. Geog, although not as 'useful' as econs has many merits in understanding our environment, pollution, urban excess and human migration.

yup I am interested in both subjects! which is why i'm in a dilemma...

happykidzz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 pm

So you are an IP student. OK, then find out from your school which subject has the highest distinction rate follow by A and B grades.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees