Subject Combinations

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Subject Combinations

Postby desultorybanana » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello guys!
I'm currently waiting for my posting results to be released.
So meanwhile, I've been thinking about the different combinations that I can take in the JCs that I can apply to.
I want to do either Accountancy or Law in university and so I'm wondering whether taking the arts combi of
H1: GP, PW, MT, Maths
H2: Econs, English Lit, History
would be okay?
Or would taking h2 maths be better?

desultorybanana
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Subject Combinations

Postby FrekiWang » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:59 pm

desultorybanana wrote:Hello guys!
I'm currently waiting for my posting results to be released.
So meanwhile, I've been thinking about the different combinations that I can take in the JCs that I can apply to.
I want to do either Accountancy or Law in university and so I'm wondering whether taking the arts combi of
H1: GP, PW, MT, Maths
H2: Econs, English Lit, History
would be okay?
Or would taking h2 maths be better?

yes, try to take H2 maths if possible, it is good for taking accountancy in future.

However, if you are opting for Law only, you may want to 'play safe'.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 365psych » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

Each H2 subject is worth 17-20 points if you get an A. You need 85 points to get into Law and 75 for Accountancy although it might depend on the intake year. Some students get 7 A's, but cannot get into Law. You might find it shocking, but govt does not want more graduates, and are happy if they go overseas to study and not come back. As you can be easily replaced by a foreigner. Don't believe its ok, but don't forget this bitter pill.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mensch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Yup agree with FrekiWang. H2 Math offers you more options later. Both Law and Accountancy are pretty competitive. Worse case, if you can't get either, the H2 Math might put you in a better position for something like Econs (which is mostly math in Uni)

mensch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby desultorybanana » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 pm

@mensch @FrekiWang: Okay! Noted :-) Should be taking H2 math if I can! :) Thank you!
@365psych: Stupid/blur as it sounds, I never knew there was a points system. Thanks for the information! How many points will I get if I get an A for a H1 subject?

desultorybanana
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Jfalk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm

desultorybanana wrote:@mensch @FrekiWang: Okay! Noted :-) Should be taking H2 math if I can! :) Thank you!
@365psych: Stupid/blur as it sounds, I never knew there was a points system. Thanks for the information! How many points will I get if I get an A for a H1 subject?

10 points for H1 A, 20 points for H2 A. For each lower grade, minus 1.25 for H1 and 2.5 for H2. So H1 B is 8.75, H2 B is 17.5.

10 percentile for Law admission is 87.5, meaning you can probably afford at most 1 H2 B or 2 H1 B.

10 percentile for NUS/NTU Acct is 85-87.5, while SMU Accts is slightly lower than that.

Jfalk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby teddybeary » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Hey! that's exactly my subject combination! Haha, remember it is very content heavy! and if you're not prepared to be killed by the amount of content that history offers, i suggest you swopping it with h2 maths. (: unless you have never taken amaths before. But nothing a good maths tutor cant fix. depends on what JC you are posted to too. Some schools are better at some subjects, some schools are better at others

teddybeary
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby teddybeary » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey! that's exactly my subject combination! Haha, remember it is very content heavy! and if you're not prepared to be killed by the amount of content that history offers, i suggest you swopping it with h2 maths. (: unless you have never taken amaths before. But nothing a good maths tutor cant fix. depends on what JC you are posted to too. Some schools are better at some subjects, some schools are better at others

teddybeary
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees