Do I need to revise O-lvl stuff before JC starts?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Do I need to revise O-lvl stuff before JC starts?

Postby Gintoki » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 am

Well, I've kinda forgotten some of the O-lvl content like Organic Chem and I was wondering if I really need to study O-lvl textbooks again to prepare for JC stuff.

Gintoki
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Do I need to revise O-lvl stuff before JC starts?

Postby 365psych » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 am

Ya, if you plan on doing organic chem, then revise a little la. Revision is always good if you think you've forgotten the concepts or need to refresh the topic. Don't expect teachers to hand-hold you in JC or to refresh your memory and start at O Level, although not to say that teachers don't do it - they might do it for the lower ranked classes.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby twilight » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm

My seniors told me that for JC chem, you will start by unlearning all the things learned in secondary school because they're largely incorrect. I've no idea how true this is.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gintoki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm

365psych wrote:Ya, if you plan on doing organic chem, then revise a little la. Revision is always good if you think you've forgotten the concepts or need to refresh the topic. Don't expect teachers to hand-hold you in JC or to refresh your memory and start at O Level, although not to say that teachers don't do it - they might do it for the lower ranked classes.

Ok thanks for the advice - 'no spoonfeeding' was something my teachers emphasised as well.

twilight wrote:My seniors told me that for JC chem, you will start by unlearning all the things learned in secondary school because they're largely incorrect. I've no idea how true this is.

Oh okay. I heard from my seniors that for JC maths, the teachers re-teach differentiation and integration, partial fractions before moving on to JC content. Wonder if that's true...

Gintoki
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby beezlebubz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:07 pm

what topics from olevels are useful in the jc syllabus? i have 0 idea of what JCs are teaching

beezlebubz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby twilight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Nothing really is useful for chemistry. End up discarding most of the stuff learned in O level chemistry. Revise a math maybe, remember all those methods to calculate this and that. O level physics is a bit basic, don't really need to revise.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 am

For math, better revise the following a math topic:
partial fraction
quadratic equation and inequality
calculus(diff and int)

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby karrotandkiwi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 pm

No, I have just finished my 'A's and I can say that by the time your school starts on organic chem, you would have forgotten everything you revised now. It's kinda pretty pointless since most schools have org chem slotted in J2.

Just my 2 cents.

karrotandkiwi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jen.95 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:55 pm

For me I would think that it is better for you to revise if you have the time. Because if your foundation is not strong, most probably you can't catch up with harder and new content.

Just my 2 cents.

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Interestinggg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

I've just graduated and from the way my JC taught us (in terms of which chapters to teach first), the first few chapters of chem are similar to O's - mole concept, hydrocarbon, quantitative analysis which is your titration. The rest of the chapters are mostly fresh concepts that aren't covered with depth during O's. For math, like what the others have mentioned, integration and diff, partial fraction, binomial theory, inequalities, graphing technique, and some interest rate thing y'all learnt in O's.

But for the first week of school, don't worry! It's orientation! Go enjoy yourselves :)
I didn't revise when I went into JC.

Interestinggg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees